Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread weight

Tim5
@tim5
10 years ago
359 posts

Hey everyone. I have fairly thick dreads (18months old so still short, just short of shoulder length), and the dreads I cut off were big too (ten years, so pretty long, half way down my back), and quite often the question of weight comes up. To my understanding, thick dreads should not weigh any more than thin dreads, because thick or thin dreads is the same amount of hair, just configured differently. Dreads retain all the hair that usually would fall off the head. The surface area of the hair on the scalp distributes the weight evenly and the same as if they were separate dreads or thick dreads. I don't see how there could be any real difference in weight or strain on the scalp. I have seen a guy where I once lived, he had three dreads about five feet long, and that was his whole head of hair. I have no concerns about weight whatsoever or drying time. Thick dreads are not hard to care for, just a little bit different to thin dreads, wash less in the cooler months is about all, if you think you have any issue with mold or whatever, you can use oils or vinegar or special dread products to deal with it.

Grow thick dreads and grow them today.

peace and blessings

tim

updated by @tim5: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

was there a question in this? but yea thicker dreads can be a hassle but theygotta be pretty thick..i know ppl with monodreads too that are huge and they suffer the pain and frustrations because they feel spiritualy bound to letting them be that way..like that bietnamese dude with the 20+ foot long unidread he felt if he cut or combed it out hed get deaftly ill again so accepted the burdon

mine arent thick but overall are heavy when ewet especialy and cause a stuff neck alot

because they are thinner thjo theres no painful pilling on any 1 dread just an overall heaviness

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tim5
@tim5
10 years ago
359 posts

Question? I posted in general talk. I guess I was just generally talking about the weight of thicker dreads, and welcome anyone else to generally talk about them.

peace

Tara C
@tara-c
10 years ago
644 posts

I assumed thick dreads would be heavier because the section itself would be heavier and pull more. I don't know, I want dreads for life, but I hope I don't end up with neck pain or anything because of it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

tara keep in mind i broke my back and its fused so i always got back and neck pain but when wet the weight just makes it worse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tim5
@tim5
10 years ago
359 posts

I think a strong spiritual connection is necessary because when we grow dreads for long periods of time, or we are growing big fat dreads there will be some discomfort and we will need the strength that comes from a spiritual connection. There is no strength in a 'hairstyle', there must be more, it must go deeper to pass through the trials that will come, that goes with anything in life really, in my opinion, a spiritual life is a full life, and dreads are just part of that.

peace and blessings

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form