Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I love me dreads but I hate getting made fun of in school

Bode Shackelford
@bode-shackelford
11 years ago
14 posts
So I have been dreading for 3 months now and loving it so much. I love all the Attention I get in public for just that my hair is different. But the thing is I just started going to high school I'm a freshman and Just little things kids do at school ruin my day. I'll be waiting in line for lunch and people will stair or whisper about me and it really hurts me. And after lunch we go and wait In the school yard waiting for the bell and people will call me names and point at me and I don't know how long I can handle it anymore. Could someone please tell me if it gets easier later on or will it be like this my whole life with dreads?
updated by @bode-shackelford: 02/14/15 03:29:08AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

90% feedback will be possitive 10% negtibve (hs kids are mean assholes) out in the real world it will be 99% positive 1% negative

so what type person are you the type to hear the positive or negative?

case in point on another forum a kid with very low self esteem posted an am i ugly discussion

he got 2000 replies eall saying no your not ugley a few replied with ways to spruce up his style ir boost his confidence and more then a dozen girls said theyd go out with him

but 1 single person said yes your the ugliest person i ever saw

that 1 comment wa the only 1 he responded to only 1 that sunk in

are yiou the type person to let other ppls opinions get u down or the type to let other ppls admirations lift you up

these ppls commebts are actualy an advantage to dreading they make you stronger make you not care what other ppl think

remember your in hs

the skiniest girl in class will be called a fat pig till she dies from not eatting or ods on diet pills

they are limmited in how they react to ppl remember each and every 1 of em is suffering they put you down simply to make themselves feel better about thier own shit lives

rise above it

laugh at them cause they are pthetic

or better yet feel sorry for them for havinjg such closed minds and severely limmited life experiences

but whatever you do..grow stronger

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bode Shackelford
@bode-shackelford
11 years ago
14 posts
Thank you you made me feel better and having dreadlocks has helped me come out of my shell but the Problem is I do let those things get to me and I don't know why but being judged or anything like gets me so done and I don't know why
DreadfulAmenita
@taby
11 years ago
80 posts

Hang in there! A few might make fun now, but before you know it you'll start seeing other kids in your school starting dreads too. Don't give up, and like everyone else says, stay confident. :)

☮ jimmy ✝
@jimmy
11 years ago
25 posts

Kids in HS are mostly trying to figure out who they are. Dreads become a part of who you are; you are already on your way to figuring out who you are, and very likely those other kids are jealous or threatened by someone who is already accepting who they are, while they still have no idea who or what they are.

Don't worry about what other people say, especially--ESPECIALLY--kids in HS. If locs are a part of who you are, don't let a bunch of stupid kids lead you astray.

peace & harmony

CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

As long as you have dreads there will be stares and whispers. How do you know they are not saying good things when they whisper? Refuse to let them pull you into their storm, pull them into your peace. People who have problems with others really have problems with their selves. It does get easier. I started my journey my senior year so kids knew better than to mess with me lol. Just love yourself and your dreads, no ones opinion matters but yours, your friends, and the family that you like. It gets easier because you begin to not give a shit, to be honest o.O
Soaring Eagle is right, for every rude person i get, 5 more compliment me. :) Have you ever tried meditating to deal with this stress?? Keep your chin up and be proud love.

ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

Hi there Bode!!! I know how you feel as I'm sure everybody on this site does. I am just in my 4th month and I'm 40 years old. I'm still amazed at the looks or should I say stares I get, even when I'm with my kids people look at me like I'm from another planet. I can't help but to laugh at it. They either are prudes raised differently because they have to keep a certain image or don't know what it is that only time will get us to...beautiful dreads. Remember that there are people like us who love this style and all that goes with it. I have to say I am and always have been attracted to men with dreads, I think they're sexy and even before your journey you definitely have looks on your side. Not to sound like a perv, you are gorgeous. Don't let those kids get to you, I realize it hurts your feelings but most of these kids aren't your friends anyway. Their opinions don't matter! Stay strong and happy dreading!

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Kids can be horribly annoying. Your dreads no doubt look great, so ignore it, it does get easier, but just try to focus on the good things people say :)

Ulfrick Tyrson
@ulfrick-tyrson
11 years ago
11 posts

I know it can be hard but try to just ignore them. and remember, its just high school, 3 years and your done and never need to see or hear from any of them ever again. Don't let their opinions dictate who you are, do what makes you happy.

louise kracwzyk
@louise-kracwzyk
11 years ago
2 posts

Please stick with the dreads!! i spent all my teenage years trying to "fit in" at school, wearing what i was meant to wear, having my hair how everyone thought hair should be. I then spent most my 20's getting abit braver.....being a little "quirky". its only now, nearly 29 that ive got the courage do be who i want to be and not worry about fitting in and what people think. Its very boring being a "conventially" beautiful girl who only attract men that wants someone pretty on their arm and doesnt stand up for beliefs and values! dont make the same mistake as i did and give into what society expects. well done for doing it in high school, stick with it....i wish i had the guts at your age. I'm lucky to live in a nice area, have a wealthy family, all that material crap, but with it brings rules that should be followed........says alot how money and stuff dont bring you happiness inless YOU are being truthful to yourself and if dreads make you happy stick with it!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form