Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

who here has dreads and isn't Rastafarian?

Tricia Howard
@tricia-howard
14 years ago
3 posts
I started my dreads about a year after I started getting into the Pagan religion. I didn't do it to 'look cool' or to 'fit in', I done it to express myself and learn lessons that the process of locking teaches. The most important one is patience and that would be the #1 thing I had a problem with. I respect everyone's religion and I think that the whole process of dreading is more about getting to know and express yourself and help you learn lessons that can be used in everyday life rather than just church or groups.Oh and I posted this off from yours Faelwynn because I totally agree with what you say not because I'm against it =] Blessed be Faelwynn said:
Dreadlocks are so old as a hair style and way of life that I believe it is impossible to know their 'true nature'. I wear mine as a form of spiritual expression... so in a way it's a very spiritual journey for me as well. However, I am not Rastafarian in the least. I'm a pagan, and very very proud of it! I also have Celtic roots, so my dreads are an expression of myself on a number of different levels!

updated by @tricia-howard: 07/23/15 05:09:40AM
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Blessed Be sister! May the God and Goddess bless your journey as well! Tricia Howard said:
I started my dreads about a year after I started getting into the Pagan religion. I didn't do it to 'look cool' or to 'fit in', I done it to express myself and learn lessons that the process of locking teaches. The most important one is patience and that would be the #1 thing I had a problem with. I respect everyone's religion and I think that the whole process of dreading is more about getting to know and express yourself and help you learn lessons that can be used in everyday life rather than just church or groups.

Oh and I posted this off from yours Faelwynn because I totally agree with what you say not because I'm against it =] Blessed be

Faelwynn said:
Dreadlocks are so old as a hair style and way of life that I believe it is impossible to know their 'true nature'. I wear mine as a form of spiritual expression... so in a way it's a very spiritual journey for me as well. However, I am not Rastafarian in the least. I'm a pagan, and very very proud of it! I also have Celtic roots, so my dreads are an expression of myself on a number of different levels!
brooke blinebry
@brooke-blinebry
14 years ago
13 posts
truth is in ourselves...right on Didjeridurian said:
Dreadlocks go back to Ancient Egypt even before to ancient Sumer. The ancient celts wore them too and so did most of the anglo and germanic tribes. Rastafarian is not the root of dreadlocks. Nature is the root of dreadlocks and of all things. I respect your beliefs and how dreads fit into them but please show respect to other cultures who had dreads long before and for different reasons.
Peace
Junior Granger
@junior-granger
14 years ago
4 posts
what i mean is the dread locks nature is not just of Rastafarian beliefs or of any other religion but of who you are inside, its us who define our locks and make them shine, despite what others may even think... Its the commitment the patience the love the freedom... That's my opinion of their nature, all i wanted was to hear yours. And sorry if there was any misunderstanding
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
i'm not a rasta either. i chose the locks because i wanted something new with my hair. the journey is in fact spiritual though and sometimes even a little emotional because you wanna just cut your hair completely off in the early stages. but once you get over those rough patches, you eventually begin to love your locks. so in a way, that is their true nature: for ME. i believe everyone has their own reason besides being a rastafarian.
Jammin' Jay
@jammin-jay
14 years ago
30 posts
I'm not a Rasta either, but I started my dreads because I had a yearning for them in my chest. I think that my dreads are helping to teach me patience, and I wanted something to do with my hair that really suited me, and I've never felt more beautiful in my life. I used to keep my hair short all the time because I never knew what to do with my hair because it's so thin, and brushing would break up my waves and curls, and now my hair looks full and defined. I love it. It has also made me think about my morality and how I interact with people more because I think that alot of people have a bad idea of the white dreadheads of the world because it lumps you into a group of people that alot of conservative people/employers/others frown upon, and I really want to change that, and help to make dreads a socially acceptable hairstyle for all. I think that we all have our beloved locks for very different reasons, and I think that it's important to remember that. Tricia Howard said:
I started my dreads about a year after I started getting into the Pagan religion. I didn't do it to 'look cool' or to 'fit in', I done it to express myself and learn lessons that the process of locking teaches. The most important one is patience and that would be the #1 thing I had a problem with. I respect everyone's religion and I think that the whole process of dreading is more about getting to know and express yourself and help you learn lessons that can be used in everyday life rather than just church or groups.

Oh and I posted this off from yours Faelwynn because I totally agree with what you say not because I'm against it =] Blessed be

Faelwynn said:
Matthew
@matthew
14 years ago
109 posts
I wish to be enlightened. What indeed IS their true nature?
Nathaniel
@nathaniel
14 years ago
14 posts
For me they are spiritual thing primarily, fashion secondary, i'm a pagan and have both Celtic, and Nordic roots. They are a reflection of that ancestoral past, the fact that they look good is just a plus. Dreadlocks are a universal human trait, like being born, ageing, and all other natural processes. Hair dreads end of, humans apply the spiritual aspects to them.
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
14 years ago
154 posts
oh its cool dude. im glad u cleared up what u meant cuz im pretty sure alot of us thought u meant something diffrent. everyone has their own beliefs and their own opinions about the topic and really im not quite sure whats the most right answer to where they did originate from. my guesse is they came from the "cave men" days. it would be really cool though if someone did the research into what they specifically mean in diffrent cultures tribes and religions though. it would definately be an eye opener
Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
Right on mama hippie mama said:
i have respect for your beliefs and i think its great that ur proud enough of it to try to educate others on your beliefs. i however am not a rastafarian nor do i claim to be and just as others have told you in their comments dreads are from nature and ppl had them from the beginning of time. not just rastas but all beliefs and i mean if u dont have a comb pretty much ur hairs gonna dread. so to say their true nature comes from the rastafarian background only would be such a miss-guided statement. i think you would be interested in researching back to see where else the may have derived from. also what other role they play in other religious backgrounds. i mean beleive what you believe dude and be proud of it but take a step back to realize there is more to everything than what you believe and keep your heart eyes and ears open to learn so much more about others and you may find out more about yourself in the journey,
peace be with you friend
~i really hope on your journey not only will u preach but you will be taught as well~

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form