but tnr is next best

however you most likely will regret it and wish u went natural

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
OliviaJonas Aley
@oliviajonas-aley
11 years ago
30 posts

Here is one gem that I have thus far learned...

I did twist and rip. They have all fallen out, and their real journey begins. The last one fell out at the four.5 month mark. Actually it didn't so much fall apart, as divide itself into three sections. I look back and I think that quite possibly my hair would be further along if I just did natural...because it took all that time before the real dreadlocking really began. The only sections that dreaded up quickly were the underside sections.

The tnr method is great if you want some control over where you want your sections. for the most part. Then again, your sections can still reject where you put them!

At this point you should just throw away your hairbrush!

Megan Elyse
@megan-elyse
11 years ago
20 posts
Welcome :)I also started with the TnR method. After a week and a half they started selling out and I regretted it. I combed them out Monday and haven't looked back. Natural is the way to go.
Megan Elyse
@megan-elyse
11 years ago
20 posts
And by selling I mean falling.
Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
11 years ago
100 posts

i did tnr and ran into a lot of trouble with the forced sectioning and had to rip apart a lot of dreads that would not have naturally formed that way, this was damaging, painful and set me back in progress. Therefore i would recommend neglect/freeform

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

mostly just concentrate on gerting the scalp clean the baking sods good 1st couple months since its a no touch wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Volk
@laura-volk
11 years ago
1 posts

I used TnR method. I backcombed the roots & then TnR three times & then backcombed them so they were even tighter & wouldn't fall apart. Mine are doing great! Maybe I'm just getting lucky though lol

jesse demato
@jesse-demato
11 years ago
23 posts
this is redundant but I wouldn't tnr at all. it's just a sloppy braid that falls out in a few months. only then does your hair start dreading. I'm at almost nine months neglect and I have dreads in all different stages with great loops and I wouldn't have it any other way. as far as washing I like Dr Bronner very diluted. I put two short squirts in a huge bug gulp cup and fill it up with water. pour it over slowly then scrub scrub scrub. then rinse real well. I wash every other day. I notice more progress after every wash. well have fun dreading how ever you do it. I just remembered one thing.I did have some sections that showed no progress and I tnrd about a half inch at the bottom and the tangle seemed to travel and spread up the hair. so tnr isn't terrible but over done it will set back your progress.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

It is the best way to start t&r by letting your hair section on its own first, so good for you for waiting until then. When you do that method (as I have) just make sure that they are not made too tight. That is why I think many people regret doing it that way, theirs are tight so they do not mature properly. I have just a few that I know I did a little too tight and are maturing differently than the rest. But by doing t&r, you will actually be setting yourself back in the dreading process. Why you ask? Because those sections will need to loosen, some even falling out, in order to go on their to becoming mature dreads. It gives you the immediate feeling of having dreads when you first do them, but they are not really dreads at all.

By going natural, the hair is already loosened, so the journey starts quicker. Patience is the key. I understand you want to see them now, I do get that, I was the same way. When the sections are on their journey, they will loop, zig, do crazy things and start to shrink. They will shrink to become the thickness of where the section meets the scalp, that is how you will know the thickness of your future dreads.

Washing tips: wash every 2-3 days in the beginning, they will mature quicker this way, When the hair and scalp gets oily, any new knots trying for form may slip out. That is why you may find the hairline might not be dreading, or take a very long time..face oil.

I did not look up where you live, but if you have hard water, the selection for shampoos & soaps are limited. For this I recommend Dreadlockshampoo.com. Vickie is a member on this site and makes shampoos and soaps that work fantastic with hard water.

You can also wash with baking soda and rinse with apple cider vinegar. This is a homemade recipe that works fantastic, it exfoliates the scalp without touching it, great for new dreads trying to form. Mix 1/2 cup baking soda with 5 cups of water, pour over your wet head and let it sit for 10-20 minutes, then rinse out well...Next you will do an apple cider vinegar rinse to restore the hairs PH from using the baking soda, it is also a natural conditioner. ...mix 1 capful of ACV to 5 cups water and pour over head, rinse out within one minute. If you have extremely oily scalp, you don't have to do this every time after the BS. I don't have an oily scalp and did not use it every time, it took a few months to notice that I was frying out my hair by skipping that step and it took much work to correct it. You can add some drops of essential oils to the ACV to help with the aroma. I did this for my first year and my scalp was always clean without the scrubbing.

My tip is to invest in a towel the same color as your hair, dreads love to eat towel lint, can't get away from that, so a towel the same color will make the lint invisible. I also use a micro fiber towel, like a Shamwow, to suck the excess water out of my hair, it speeds up the drying time tremendously.

Hope this answers your questions Alyssa....enjoy your soon to be journey....Peace

Alyssa Formo said:

Thanks guy! I think I'll let my hair naturally section and start to twist up then use TnR? Any tips on washing the first few months?

updated by @the-barrellady: 07/23/15 05:14:40AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Here is the map for you, Your area has hard water. By the way, loved the movie Fargo! Peace

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form