Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Let the journey BEGIN. (input greatly appreciated)

Alyssa Formo
@alyssa-formo
3 years ago
4 posts
I've wanted to start my dreads for about a year now...last summer I went to a salon and got 5 done. Sadly I lost 4 due to them falling apart.BUT. I'm back in the game, thinking about doing the twist'n'rip method...anyone have any basics of it? I'm hoping to start next week if I get some sweet feedback :)
updated by @alyssa-formo: 02/14/15 03:25:07AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,402 posts

welcome salons are the worse mistake u can ever make

why not go natural thats the best way

but tnr is next best

however you most likely will regret it and wish u went natural

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
OliviaJonas Aley
@oliviajonas-aley
3 years ago
30 posts

Here is one gem that I have thus far learned...

I did twist and rip. They have all fallen out, and their real journey begins. The last one fell out at the four.5 month mark. Actually it didn't so much fall apart, as divide itself into three sections. I look back and I think that quite possibly my hair would be further along if I just did natural...because it took all that time before the real dreadlocking really began. The only sections that dreaded up quickly were the underside sections.

The tnr method is great if you want some control over where you want your sections. for the most part. Then again, your sections can still reject where you put them!

At this point you should just throw away your hairbrush!

Megan Elyse
@megan-elyse
3 years ago
20 posts
Welcome :)I also started with the TnR method. After a week and a half they started selling out and I regretted it. I combed them out Monday and haven't looked back. Natural is the way to go.
Megan Elyse
@megan-elyse
3 years ago
20 posts
And by selling I mean falling.
Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
3 years ago
101 posts

i did tnr and ran into a lot of trouble with the forced sectioning and had to rip apart a lot of dreads that would not have naturally formed that way, this was damaging, painful and set me back in progress. Therefore i would recommend neglect/freeform

Alyssa Formo
@alyssa-formo
3 years ago
4 posts
Thanks guy! I think I'll let my hair naturally section and start to twist up then use TnR? Any tips on washing the first few months?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,402 posts

mostly just concentrate on gerting the scalp clean the baking sods good 1st couple months since its a no touch wash

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Laura Volk
@laura-volk
3 years ago
1 posts

I used TnR method. I backcombed the roots & then TnR three times & then backcombed them so they were even tighter & wouldn't fall apart. Mine are doing great! Maybe I'm just getting lucky though lol

jesse demato
@jesse-demato
3 years ago
24 posts
this is redundant but I wouldn't tnr at all. it's just a sloppy braid that falls out in a few months. only then does your hair start dreading. I'm at almost nine months neglect and I have dreads in all different stages with great loops and I wouldn't have it any other way. as far as washing I like Dr Bronner very diluted. I put two short squirts in a huge bug gulp cup and fill it up with water. pour it over slowly then scrub scrub scrub. then rinse real well. I wash every other day. I notice more progress after every wash. well have fun dreading how ever you do it. I just remembered one thing.I did have some sections that showed no progress and I tnrd about a half inch at the bottom and the tangle seemed to travel and spread up the hair. so tnr isn't terrible but over done it will set back your progress.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus