Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I'm in need of an elastic. No plastic.

Pathargic
@patrick2
12 years ago
61 posts

Recently started college and even more recently began job searching. I'm positive my hair is going to raise some concern, whether I like it or not. I'm not too upset about that. Problem is, my hair is, well, very thick. It makes it a bit difficult to tie back, and until I start getting paychecks, I don't think I'll be able to buy a tam. I can tie the hair on the top of my head with simple fabric, but the sides need something a bit... tougher. Anyone know where I can purchase a cheap elastic that'll get the job done? Any recommendations?

updated by @patrick2: 02/14/15 03:29:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

use your dreads to tie your dreads they are perfect for the job

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If they are long enough, you can tie them back with themselves. I can't stress how excited I was the day I realized my locks were finally long enough for that.

I have gone to quite a few job interviews and my locks were never an issue. Only reason I didn't get the most recent job was because I was not willing to shave my beard clean. They would not even accept it being cleaned up regularly.

Every other job I interviewed for was more than thrilled to hire me. If you go in with the attitude that they need you to help make the place run smooother, and that you have a lot to offer, your hair should not be an issue at all

Pathargic
@patrick2
12 years ago
61 posts

Trust me, I've tried tying my dreads together. It was a giant mess. All the thick ones wouldn't cooperate at all. Maybe after it gets a bit longer I'll be able to manage, but for now I definitely need... something.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

If your dreads are as thick and unruly as you say I don't know that an elastic of any sort will help you. What's stopping cloth wraps from working for you? Do they slide off?

Caleb Birch
@caleb-birch
12 years ago
17 posts
You could use an old tshirt sleeve. I use them to hold my dreads back.
Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
Hairpins maybe?
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Can you tuck the ones on the side under the ones on top when they are pulled back? I have 2 short ones on my left side an one on my right that fit snugly under others when they get pulled back. It doesn't look odd at all

Pathargic
@patrick2
12 years ago
61 posts

I'm unsure of how successful I'd be with hairpins. And Baba, I might need a visual example of how to tuck my dreads. It's mainly the thicker ones on the sides that give me trouble. Caleb, I've tried the t-shirt thing, but it's far too tight. I might just need to use larger shirts, though. Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys! Maybe after class I can upload a photo of a tucking attempt.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Try cutting the bottom part off an old tshirt. It's more stretchy than a sleeve, it's have to be wrapped around your head a couple times tho. Since you're a guy that may not be exactly the look your goin for, but you could try layering the material so it's flat instead of scrunched. Did that make sense?I think what Baba was saying was to pull your hair back as ususal. After it's secured, take your loose dreads and tuck them under the pulled back dreads, like your trying to hide the ends under your hair. It looks like they're pulled back with all the rest.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form