Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

I can't be the only one who has this question

Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
4 years ago
79 posts

First off this isn't meant to offend or be racist what so ever.

But am i the only one who has noticed that Blacks have pretty much claimed dreads as a hair type that they should only have. And although they claim the hairstyle the main way it is done is through salons and with products and all sorts of methods.
Again this isn't meant to offend at all.


updated by @valentin-the-jellyfish: 02/14/15 03:51:52AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,402 posts

well thats very geberalized

only a small percentage feel thtat way that they own the style

and yea many do go to salins because they are unaware that they can dread other ways (in some cases) others fear the stign=ma of poverty and appearing low class thats why someone who might be poor living in the gheto even collectings cans to buy food might wear gucci to at least appear like they got money and class wich is really the fault of the more european population who holds that perception..the assumptionm that the average black mans poor gheto crack addicted whatever ..so even when they are closer to the sterotype they strive to not appear it at the same time

so realy the only ones who do tend to stricktly preffer the natural dreads are religiosly bound to

and because they..the rastas are asociated with marijuana etc others who dread dont want that negative association eveb=n if they smoke and support legalization

its understandable cause so many african americans are sitting in jails for minor cromes the average white man might get a fine for

so the fear of judgement is umderstandable after all they do have it harder still no matter how much you and i might treat everyone as equals socirty still isnt fair and ballanced just look what happened when a black man was elected.. the gop went crazy and doid all they could to make it seem like a black man cant do anytjing right and held our economy abd country hostage to prove that point

anywho im rambling

the salon thinkg is partialy misinformation and social conditioning

the other thing is racism and is just a small percentatige

racism depends i]on misinformation as well

and some ppl are just ignorant




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
4 years ago
79 posts

well said, and goodexplanationhahaha

soaring eagle said:

well thats very geberalized

only a small percentage feel thtat way that they own the style

and yea many do go to salins because they are unaware that they can dread other ways (in some cases) others fear the stign=ma of poverty and appearing low class thats why someone who might be poor living in the gheto even collectings cans to buy food might wear gucci to at least appear like they got money and class wich is really the fault of the more european population who holds that perception..the assumptionm that the average black mans poor gheto crack addicted whatever ..so even when they are closer to the sterotype they strive to not appear it at the same time

so realy the only ones who do tend to stricktly preffer the natural dreads are religiosly bound to

and because they..the rastas are asociated with marijuana etc others who dread dont want that negative association eveb=n if they smoke and support legalization

its understandable cause so many african americans are sitting in jails for minor cromes the average white man might get a fine for

so the fear of judgement is umderstandable after all they do have it harder still no matter how much you and i might treat everyone as equals socirty still isnt fair and ballanced just look what happened when a black man was elected.. the gop went crazy and doid all they could to make it seem like a black man cant do anytjing right and held our economy abd country hostage to prove that point

anywho im rambling

the salon thinkg is partialy misinformation and social conditioning

the other thing is racism and is just a small percentatige

racism depends i]on misinformation as well

and some ppl are just ignorant

Tara C
@tara-c
4 years ago
645 posts

Most people who say that are ignorant, and ignorant people are more likely to go to salons and buy into products and whatever.

Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
4 years ago
124 posts

I believe there are much more white people who will tell you dreads are for black people. And they will most probably be racist, and tell you that because they don't like the dreads, and they don't like black people.

Racism goes both ways. But if you are free minded enough to be here and dread, you shouldn't care about it. Even though it would be great, we can't change the entire world. Not in the literal sense, ofc.

As for the products, that's just marketing.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

Rainbow said what I was going to say. From my experience, the racism about locks comes more from white people that black people. My white people will tell you that locks are an African hair style. My dad and grandfather both think I am trying to "look black" by wearing them. Granted both of them are pretty openly racist or prejudiced.

new dreddie
@new-dreddie
4 years ago
75 posts

You are making. Assumptions! All blac ks. Are Not racist. I could care less what you do. Dreads are for ever
yone. color doesnt matter.Learn about people instead of generalizing.
Valentin the Jellyfish said:

well said, and goodexplanationhahaha

soaring eagle said:

well thats very geberalized

only a small percentage feel thtat way that they own the style

and yea many do go to salins because they are unaware that they can dread other ways (in some cases) others fear the stign=ma of poverty and appearing low class thats why someone who might be poor living in the gheto even collectings cans to buy food might wear gucci to at least appear like they got money and class wich is really the fault of the more european population who holds that perception..the assumptionm that the average black mans poor gheto crack addicted whatever ..so even when they are closer to the sterotype they strive to not appear it at the same time

so realy the only ones who do tend to stricktly preffer the natural dreads are religiosly bound to

and because they..the rastas are asociated with marijuana etc others who dread dont want that negative association eveb=n if they smoke and support legalization

its understandable cause so many african americans are sitting in jails for minor cromes the average white man might get a fine for

so the fear of judgement is umderstandable after all they do have it harder still no matter how much you and i might treat everyone as equals socirty still isnt fair and ballanced just look what happened when a black man was elected.. the gop went crazy and doid all they could to make it seem like a black man cant do anytjing right and held our economy abd country hostage to prove that point

anywho im rambling

the salon thinkg is partialy misinformation and social conditioning

the other thing is racism and is just a small percentatige

racism depends i]on misinformation as well

and some ppl are just ignorant

Treehugginmomma
@treehugginmomma
4 years ago
2 posts
Hey dude. I definately smell what you're stepping in. Lol. The #1 comment I get is, "I didn't know white peoples' hair would lock." At first it was a little unsettling and it was like another assumed difference was being pointed out. Then I got to thinking about it... Could being defensive be the wrong strategy? Indeed! Now its a conversation starter. I tell folks its not a black or white thing, its a human thing and we're not really all that different after all.
Cristopher Darscel Revis
@cristopher-darscel-revis
4 years ago
6 posts

its only the ignorant black take it from i'm black and i love the way dreads look on other races.

Jackie
@jackie
4 years ago
79 posts

TRUE STATEMENT! I have never had any other negative comments about dreads than from other white people!

Rainbow Fortune said:

I believe there are much more white people who will tell you dreads are for black people. And they will most probably be racist, and tell you that because they don't like the dreads, and they don't like black people.

 / 3
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus