Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

share your dreading mistakes so others might avoid the same dreadlock mistakes you made

Dreadedsunflower
@dreadedsunflower
15 years ago
60 posts
at first i thought you were making fun of my post lolbut very similar experience kudos Alden said:
I'd like to not call them mistakes, more like learning experiences, cuz none of my mistakes have yet to result in the loss of any of my dreads, nor will they now that I know better.

If you go to my profile and look at my dreads when they were short and young, you'll see a ridiculous amount of stitching with a crochet hook. I mean, to the point that they look braided or something, super tight, and just bad. I over maintained for the first 3 months, so anal about how they looked. Then I started reading more and decided I was a dumb ass and just let them go natural. I've all but lost the super stitched look by now, but it was really bad for a long time.

Rubber bands..... enough said.

Never really got into wax, thank knowledge.

I did try to bleach my dreads back when they were really young, and it didn't work out well. It damaged my hair more than I had expected, and they didn't really bleach, they were lighter, but not like I had wanted. At that point, color became a non-issue and their health became top priority.

updated by @dreadedsunflower: 07/22/15 05:38:18AM
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
oh no, I have trouble making fun of others unless I'm joking!!! lol, But good to know we just made common mistakes.
Dreadedsunflower
@dreadedsunflower
15 years ago
60 posts
learning experiences ;) Alden said:
oh no, I have trouble making fun of others unless I'm joking!!! lol, But good to know we just made common mistakes.
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
reading here, makes me realize that the way of getting my dreads and make that they keep look nice, are not natural and might also not healty too to have the dreads for lifetimei got my dreads on the backcombing way, and that is how i also set them by others too, to keep them nice i use a croching needle oooooooooo hehe,when i heard about dreads it was like 3 ways, either not washing and combing the one backcombing way and the chemical way, (dit not liked the chemical way at all so i skiped that)now my dreads are getting thiner guess from to much using the crochet needle and yes my dreads are keeping such soft, that i am afraid to wake up with style hair againi dit not put in much things, because i get such easy itching headwill for sure try to use the soda washing thing, and might will use the crochet needle only for a crown out of wolyes would love to hear more advise in this, and will spread this side to my friends too
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
theres so much misinforemation out therefor instance to grow dreads naturaly you need to weash..sure if you dont wash they still will dread..slower but all hair will dread naturalybackcombing if u do it once and not too severely tight isnt going to be devastatingbut repeated crochet is very dammagingas for the hairs around the crownbest option..do nothingwhen they reach 4-6 inches they either join dreads or..become baby dresadsin the meantime that fuzz keeps your scalp from being sunburnedif you absolutely must tame the fuzz you can use aloe or, dreadball it and tuck under rootsive never done it myself but logicaly its less dammaging then using a metal hook\if u leave em alone every few minths u get baby dreads born that fill in the gaps between dreads giving ya a more natural blended look (like a mane) instead of having the gaps between dreads dani said:
reading here, makes me realize that the way of getting my dreads and make that they keep look nice, are not natural and might also not healty too to have the dreads for lifetime
i got my dreads on the backcombing way, and that is how i also set them by others too, to keep them nice i use a croching needle oooooooooo hehe,
when i heard about dreads it was like 3 ways, either not washing and combing the one backcombing way and the chemical way, (dit not liked the chemical way at all so i skiped that)
now my dreads are getting thiner guess from to much using the crochet needle and yes my dreads are keeping such soft, that i am afraid to wake up with style hair again
i dit not put in much things, because i get such easy itching head
will for sure try to use the soda washing thing, and might will use the crochet needle only for a crown out of wol
yes would love to hear more advise in this, and will spread this side to my friends too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
thanks and smile for the replyyes think know what you mean, because my hair is such thin, and such easy for me to do, i done to many times croching, think i best will leave them by themself, and see what will happen next, lol and wednesday when my sista comes to me, to make hair dreads look nice, haha, oke i will first let her take a look here, good thing you have found me on myspacegreat to learnand i am not knowing if i can get babydreads as my hair is such soft but yes we will find out this toothis i do not know - aloe or, dreadball it and tuck under rootssmile have to find out what this is
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
aloe vera is a plant \thye leaf is full of a gel that you can use in dreadsdreadball is take all the loose hairs and ball it up into a knotted ball then sticjk it under the rootsive never done it though dani said:
thanks and smile for the reply
yes think know what you mean, because my hair is such thin, and such easy for me to do, i done to many times croching, think i best will leave them by themself, and see what will happen next, lol and wednesday when my sista comes to me, to make hair dreads look nice, haha, oke i will first let her take a look here, good thing you have found me on myspace
great to learn

and i am not knowing if i can get babydreads as my hair is such soft but yes we will find out this too
this i do not know - aloe or, dreadball it and tuck under roots
smile have to find out what this is

--
dani2
@dani2
15 years ago
51 posts
aloa i drink sometimes, and it does not grow in my garden seeen, have to find out where to getlarge smile dreadbal, yes, such clear, hehe, but no wil not use, it would not work and if work it would feel like a headmassage each time you sleep, i guess, lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
its all unesacaryalotta ppl do more work on theyre dreads in a week then i have in the entire last 19 yearsdreads should free you from the need to constantly "fix" your hair dani said:
aloa i drink sometimes, and it does not grow in my garden seeen, have to find out where to get

large smile dreadbal, yes, such clear, hehe, but no wil not use, it would not work and if work it would feel like a headmassage each time you sleep, i guess, lol

--
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
Well the very first time I tried dreads, I just grabbed sections and teased the heck out of them. Ya as you can guess this didnt last. Even with my not washing them (need I say EWW) This was when i was 16.This is the second time I tried em. I sectioned off my hair and backcombed. it seems to be working. And with minimal damage. I just used a plastic comb instead of those metal barbed combs some people use. I'm not advocating backcombing. But if I could do it again I would go au natural.

/ 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form