dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Required Length For Beardlocks

acidburn
@acidburn
7 years ago
96 posts
[url=https://postimg.org/image/5yxw16mjj/]img[/url]

This is how my beard locks are starting to knot the 2 curls in the front, the long one is more progressed it's has that felted feel at the end. Keep in mind I have horrible genetics for beard growth. It may not look like it but that's 3years 11 months of not caring about looks just being my natural self( hair is said age, only stopped combing about a year ago)
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I actually cut my beard short about a week ago, as I am hoping to start applying for positions within my degree's field, but I really do regret having shaved it off, so when I am able to, I am gonna grow my beard out again, but I'm not entirely sure I'll lock it or not.

Edit: I do appreciate your guys' feedback on beardlocks though, I do think that maybe there will come a day when I do that journey too, but right now since I will probably be interviewing, I probably have to keep my beard short. 

updated by @ravens-light: 05/30/17 10:55:45PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

why? the 1st man i met wth beard locks they wre nearly to his knees 

he was a extremely talented artist when he had high end clients to met with hed just roll it into a tiny bun tucked up onder the rest of his beard

when i worked in IT i would actually be doing som of th interviewing. (i managed 200+ web designers) andsince i was manager i would have meetings with the designers and clients the clients were politicians heads of finance heads of multinational orgs  deans of the local universities  etc 

onfidence.. the willingness to do your job with enthusiasm, competence and  willingness to go above ad beyond whats xpected (i also did 95% of the tech support so the tech support dept wouldn't have to except for tough cases) ..these are what interviewes see ore then facial hair 

also you should know that  100% of the people i knw who cut their dreads for a particular interview that they wanted very badly to get...didn't get the job,, while 100% that refused to cut  got the job they dreamed of (in 1 case on the phone before seeing his dreads he was told all positions were filled then he happened to accidently meet the head of the company in a diner who hired him on the spot just because he was enthusiasticabout wanting to work the job0 

i think the biggest mistake people make at interviews in acting like they need the paycheck but lack enthusiasm about the jobitself

if you go into an interview..no matter how you ookk and say "i feel this is my lifes purpose what i a meant to do till i die' hat shows you will do your job not cause you have to to get paid but because you want to ..and you love doing it and plan on doing it ..for that company as long as they will let you

srry keyboards acting up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

Yeah I get where you're coming from, which that same spirit is why I regret the trim, I mean the other part of it was that my immediate family sort of talked me into trimming it. ....another example of why listening to others about the way one looks backfires like crazy. For reference the field I am trying to get into is psychology, which is a tiny bit image based....so thus why I trimmed, but again regret that. Not entirely sure when I'll start the re-growth....part of me wants to hold off for some kind of meaningful date, so that I can track the growth....but having said that, that sounds like too much work (as I did do that for a while last time)

updated by @ravens-light: 05/30/17 11:02:26PM
acidburn
@acidburn
7 years ago
96 posts
I don't mean to sound judgmental but I'd like to state a few things in no way am I trying to change your mind.

Life is too short to live by others opinion of what is expected.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” - Charles Addams

On a side note I use my appearance psychologically daily, most people stereotype appearances so when I met people they end up saying "wow your nothing like what you appear" then it's a nice little conversation about how not to judge people based on appearance and to judge based on knowledge of how they act as a person. And the people that judge me based on appearance and not what they know about me I'd rather not waste my time.

When I first started living how I wanted(growing in trimmed beard and hair) I was judge and told a multitude of things.. " I must be Muslim" "why dont you shave you can't even grow a beard" then I started letting it knot naturally and the judgement was "so you wanna be Rasta?" "Are you a hippie" "do you smoke weed?" But you know what none of that bothers me cause I'm doing what I want and that's all that matters.

Anyways before this turns into a novel! I'm sure the point I'm telling is clear
updated by @acidburn: 05/31/17 12:43:10AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

i cut my dreads once for a career my family pushed me into which i hated 

worse year of my life and i was glad when i broke my back saving me form that career and a life in a suite and tie 

after breaking my back started to dread again (and to fly) and had an amazing life i wouldn't have had if i continued to go the path my parents had set for me

now im not saying that psycology isn't a path you will love

i..with my long dreads and dread beard am actually very valued by thousands for my psychological counseling (not trained ..just understand people by caring about them)

point is I STRONGLY DISAGREE THAT PSYCHOLOGY IS IMAGE BASED!!!! while there are lots of psychologists willing to charge 150 dollars an hour that only lasts 40 minutes..for years and years while fitting an image of "the average joe"

there is an extreme lack of empathetic genuine people who live lives on their own terms care enough to charge an hour but spend 3 hours if need be (i'd often dedicate 18 hours a day for months to a single person if the situation was desperate enough)  theres a lack of people who live the lives of the people they serve.. who understand what they are going through because they went through it too.. the people you serve are people who don't fit into the norm, who aren't just like everyone else. who ont want someone  in a suite and tie barely listening  just using scripts and techniques and jotting down notes..

they want someone who breaks all the appearances and norms and greats them with a hug not a handshake (once you know their issues don't involve abuses that would make that a bad experience0 they want someone who gets off the desk sits by their side and looks them in the eye

they dont want someone to sa 'our time is up' but instead do you feel ok now  can we pick this up later or would you rather stay awhile

the less yo fit the image...and impression of the typical professional psychologist the better you will do..the more you will be valued

and the happier you..and your patients/clients/friends will be

what they are really paying you for is to be a true friend 1 that really listens and tries to help them 

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

I do truly hope that is the case. I was once told by a psychologist that to get a job in psychology I couldn't get large piercings, (at the time and even now I still think about gauging my ears) I know your point is correct that it shouldn't matter about how people look with jobs, but it still sadly is the case, in many fields and the psychology field as far as the mainstream branch goes, which is the part that fits the 'average joe' type of image.  I personally want to get into transpersonal psychology, which I am hoping will have a more elastic dress/appearance code - and the techniques and theories feel like they will accomplish more for the clients. (although I am not currently in grad school or even looking into it at this point).

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

Was just talking to someone about her psychologist whps a total barefoot hippie  yoga teacher meditating bBuddhist with dreadlocks

and she really helped my friend a lot .. best psychiatrist she ever had

in fact she thought a couple weeks at the rainbow gathering would be way better then anf intensive or even impatient program

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
7 years ago
346 posts

Yeah, what you just described is pretty much the type of practice I would love to do, haha, I'm often called a hippie by people. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

worse psychologist i ever met in my life was 1 that insisted  you should conform to the norm and not diplay any individuality at all

hed openly mock you for anything even slightly non conformist 

--

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form