Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

a few questions.

Irie
@irie
8 years ago
41 posts

I searched around a little and didnt see the answers to these questions.
I am certain they are there but I dont have time to sift through it all right now so thought it would be easier to just ask.

1. I think I remember seeing somewhere on these forums that you are not supposed to towel dry your hair for "neglect". Am I just supposed to let it air dry itself and not touch it at all?
2. Is there anything I can do to my hair to make it a little more manageable while is starting to lock itself up? example when i work in my garden it keeps falling in my face/also I used to bun it at the top of my head while i sleep so it doesnt choke me out. Any alternatives that wont hinder the process or should I just man up and get used to it?

SARSwimmer
@sarswimmer
8 years ago
11 posts

1- I learned this recently as well.  Air dry, shake dry, blow dry, just don't physically touch it.

2- Anything you do to confine your hair will slow the dreading process, for me it's just a matter of give and take.  I can't let my hair hinder my life, so I accept that what I am doing will slow down my progression.

Irie
@irie
8 years ago
41 posts

Thanks sarswimmer, I had been hand drying my hair with a towel...seemed to do more harm than good as my hair seemed less matted after.

I had a feeling any sort of restrictions placed on hair would slow the dreading but I was wondering if in some cases it can absolutely halt the process.

updated by @irie: 07/17/16 10:16:59PM
SARSwimmer
@sarswimmer
8 years ago
11 posts

Technically no, but soaring eagle was telling me about a situation where a member was wearing hats all day every day and only had a couple of dreads form after multiple years.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

what i do at night so it doesn't all wrap around me is simply flip it up  over the pillow or headboard..or alternately hang it off 1 side of the bed

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
AmandaPi
@amandapi
8 years ago
13 posts

Why's it bad to towel dry? That's what I've been doing so just wondering.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

Well, towel drying or any rubbing really can create a lot of knots 1 day.. and then next completely erase 3 months of progress

the less you mess with it the better .

--
AmandaPi
@amandapi
8 years ago
13 posts

Gotcha I think my hair is different than most maybe because of the thickness and length, idk. I mess with my hair a lot, been putting it in a ponytail often because of swimming and summer, separate daily and most days more than once. Think I'm about 4 months into neglect and there is a lot of progress. 1 thing I've noticed is my bangs are about shoulder length and don't have a single knot. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

that part dreads slowest anyway

but try not towel drying a couple weeks see if u notice a difference

--
AmandaPi
@amandapi
8 years ago
13 posts

Hmm my clothes will get soaked, I'll give it a try maybe.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form