Your dread story

LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts

WHATS YOURDREAD STORY?

How did u start them?

When did u start them?

what problems did u have? or what mistskes did u make?

and if you're comfortable answering this question..........Why did u start them?

updated by @lowryderman: 02/14/15 07:35:44AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well 1st setworked in a soup kitchen where i met an old rasta , way back started talking to him biut hisd dreads and decided to dread knowing only 1 tyhing stop combing and dreads appena year later i ad dreads that pulled up into 2 horns and a poillow in thhe baqckmy gf at te time and parents were pressuring me into a corporate hell and i buckled and cut em off to go to scool fpor computer progranmming6 months later graduated was at my graduation party and broke my back (motorcycle and massive pothole) anoter few monts in te hospitolafterwards i started flying gliders and couple monts later was at the vermont rainbow gateringthe year b4 that i was miserable i felt like my dreads helped me escape babyloin at least partialy and cutrting em i became a slave to te systemn again..i was depressed and lostbut at te gathhering i traded foir a few beads, stuck em in in te back and had siome hair wraps done tooin weeks tey dreadewd and soi did te rest of my headtat was 20 years agocouldnt imagine ever being witout dreads again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tomasu
@tomasu
14 years ago
66 posts
theres alot of reasons for me starting but i havent mentioned what really did it for me.Last year i was visiting Germany for a few days, metal festival in Bad Berka. at the time I went on my own. My ex had ditched plans to go with me and all my friends backed out so for a portion of the Journey I was so depressed. One evening i went up to the forest backing itself on the campsite with a guitar, a 4 track tape recorder and a small amount of Atropine, at that point i didn't care no more.After an hour of wandering i found a spot and settled in, ingested some of the fruits and just began recording. before i knew the heavens opened and rain started pouring down. it was so Euphoric i just wrote and wrote and bathed in the beauty which had befallen. i lay there most of the night dealing with the trip thinking to myself how much nature works in divine ways and i wanted to give something back. so i gave her my hair to shape and mold as she pleases. It really opened me up to bigger inspirations for writing and being more..human so to speak.Naturally there was other instances ie easier hair matainence etc. but that was the push over the edge and beyond. I'm making the trip again this year, its becoming a pilgramage for mei have mp3s of the music that was created that night. if anyones interested messege me :D
LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
that's an iteresting story. I'd like to hear that music. Tomasu said:
theres alot of reasons for me starting but i havent mentioned what really did it for me.

Last year i was visiting Germany for a few days, metal festival in Bad Berka. at the time I went on my own. My ex had ditched plans to go with me and all my friends backed out so for a portion of the Journey I was so depressed. One evening i went up to the forest backing itself on the campsite with a guitar, a 4 track tape recorder and a small amount of Atropine, at that point i didn't care no more.

After an hour of wandering i found a spot and settled in, ingested some of the fruits and just began recording. before i knew the heavens opened and rain started pouring down. it was so Euphoric i just wrote and wrote and bathed in the beauty which had befallen. i lay there most of the night dealing with the trip thinking to myself how much nature works in divine ways and i wanted to give something back. so i gave her my hair to shape and mold as she pleases. It really opened me up to bigger inspirations for writing and being more..human so to speak.

Naturally there was other instances ie easier hair matainence etc. but that was the push over the edge and beyond. I'm making the trip again this year, its becoming a pilgramage for me

i have mp3s of the music that was created that night. if anyones interested messege me :D
LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
Come on people, post your dread story. I'm sure others would love to read it.I thought more people would post on this topic. I'm really surprised.
dantherastaman
@dantherastaman
14 years ago
12 posts
yo man I'd like to hear it too.My plan to get dreads was months. Everytime I brought it up with parents, my mom in particular, they didn't really like the idea. I don't know why I didn't have the idea before, I really don't, but I told them that it was my hair that I was changing, not them. Maybe they didn't like the imagine I made them look like? Anyhow, June 08' I finally convince my mom. A buddy of mine helps to backcomb, my mom helps to backcomb, I then get them crocheted by an israeli girl I work with at a summer camp, I leave for israel and while I'm there for a year I get them crocheted a couple more times by some ethiopian woman. I digress, I got them for the change in me. I couldn't just sit still anymore and just take what was given to me, I had to go out and take for myself, ask questions and do what makes life fun and I'm doing it to the best of my ability. The dreads are a journey for me, I don't know when it will end or what factors will cause it to end but I'm content until it comes.
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
How did I start?I initially started with neglect/patience with regular saltwater sprays. At some point I started one of two dreads with twist and rip. I eventually did my entire head with twist and rip because I kept adding just one more.When did I start?Including the time I took to:1. Let my hair grow out past my shoulders2. Let my scalp relearn how much oil to produce.I would guess two years know.Excluding the above I am almost three months into the process.What problems do I have or mistakes did I make? None that I can think of.Why? Too many reasons that I could give. However regardless of the reason(s) I give it all boils down to one simple reason. I can, could, and/or wanted to.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
started withbackcombing/wax in Jan of 09,I did almost everything detrimental to them (except crochet until about 6ish months very lightly)I actually cut some hair that looked like my normal curly hair because I thought it shouldn't be like that (/facepalm)I even twisted them a little and let this one lady do it to, that was completely useless and made them point around even goofier for a little while,the wax was ruining my hair and made it look atrocious for the months I used it, since then it was a pain in the ass to get it out, wasn't till about 6ish months (my first picture here) that they *looked* cleansed of it.I started them because I've wanted to forever, there's about a 25-75% chance I'll be bald in the future, so I wanted to have them the rest of my full head of hair days, I always liked them but never knew much about them (obviously learned alot in the last year)everything about them except for society's reactions to them, was all a largely positive experience and I felt right with starting them, I Love them and look foward to having them till they fall off my head, (now that I think about it, I wonder how exactly that would work)
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
Iain said:
I Love them and look foward to having them till they fall off my head, (now that I think about it, I wonder how exactly that would work)
you could still rock what you got, just like devy devin
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
hahaha, tbh, I was contemplating that when I first saw his picture, all the men on my dads side are completely bald, whereas on my mom they all have their hair, so idk what will happengo Dominant Genes!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form