Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair Shrinkage on young locks.

Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Just out of curiosity, answered a question on Yahoo of someone asking how much their hair shrinks when you let them lock,

I see alot of people say different things like backcombing always loses 50% (which is bull absolutes are never right I lost about a few inches from my shoulders to where they were at 9months when they started growing again)

what I'm wondering is how much did yours shrink (if at all noticeable for you even)
and with what method,

also someone mentioned crocheting stopping shrinking, which at first I dismissed before realizing it could be true to an extent,
on my 2nd front right lock in the early months, lost alot of length but still had a long wispy curly tip that i experimented with with a needle and blunted that one, which stopped it from shrinking all together at that point, just cause it did it for me doesn't mean it always happens though,

*I guess I
l further add to this, the shrinkage doesn't happen right away obviously, mine happened dramatically over the first 6-7months, and stopped at 9months.
so even if yours are a few months old, it could still be happening.,

updated by @iain: 02/14/15 03:51:47AM
Tomasu
@tomasu
14 years ago
66 posts
mine was natural and it varies, my hair was about 32 inches long before i stopped brushing. 5 months in and i have some that have lost 23 inches, some that have lost 4. my shortest one has gone down to 6 inches..its mental
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it varries very widelytypicaly naturall isnt as drastickly noticable unless they get real fatbackcomb can lose alot, 1/2 to 2/3 is commontwist and rip less, but variescrocet may not srink beccause its more woven ten dreaded, and usualy doneso tigtly it cant move enoug to dread and srinkon average 1/2 is a good estimatebut ive seen every variation, natural dreads taty srank from waste lengt up to ear lengt (and fat) and ive seen em only loose an inc or 2 off same lengthh

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
jazzy, your at 3 weeks, backcombing initialy can cause anywere from a few inches to 1/2 the length depending how tigtly ui backcomnb.. but then it continues to shrink for about 8 monthsyou didnt backcomb too tight (thats a good thing and wy you didnt look goofy at 1st) so your loss wasnt much, but as dreading begins yoiu will see srinkage start..you wont see growth for a good long timeyouy can expect to lose 1/2 to 2/3 of the originbal lengt still they will tigten and become real dreads as tey srink Jasmine Elsom said:
I lost a few inches if that and I backcombed

--
Melanie2
@melanie2
14 years ago
99 posts
I backcombed mine to start them off (and yes, at times they did look f***ing stupid!! lol) I think they shrank to half of what my straight hair length was but it did'nt really notice as the roots were constantly growing and dreading themselves. It was probably about a year to 18 months before I saw much length happening.
Courtney J
@courtney-j
14 years ago
100 posts
I backcombed back in aug, by october mine were 3-4 inches shorter. Mine are really fat now compared to what they were. I have one however that is about the same length as they were in the beggining. I really don't know what thats about lol. I have all these short lil dreadies and one wicked long one. <3 I love them all though
Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
shouldn't crochet it, it's horrible for your hair!Mine shrunk approx 20%, some more, some less. 50% no way
Shalimar
@shalimar
14 years ago
6 posts
see this is really bothering me, because my last set of locks shrank by about 3 1/2 inches [give or take 1/2 inch], however my hair was layered drastically and bleached/dyed. some hair was 12 inches, some was 6 some was even 4my current set 21 days old were back-combed tightly and all my hair was natural/equal in length, just lying on my shoulders. now the hair on the nape of my neck is just grazing my shoulders, and the rest is at my chin. My hair was naturally fine and curly, but i have a lot of it.are you saying i'm going to lose much more length? My last set stopped shrinking at 8 mos. I think it really has a lot to do with your length when you start, your type of hair and the way you take care of it. also I found last time around that blunting the tips causes them to lock up, quicker and much more tightly, an takes about another inch off of your length.crazy.below is my current length, although this picture makes it look about 1 inch shorter since its taken from below eye level.chya
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
shalimarshorter hair shrinks less longer hair sherinks morelike i said waist length hair can shrink to 6-8 incheswhile 8 inch hair might shrink to 6all u can be sure of is u will lose some over 8 months then start to growbtw mine grows 8 or more a year..without beggingbut in the 1st weeks of dreading i did have the intention of em dragging on the groundso i guess intention is as powwerful as petting and begging

--
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Mine shrunk about 75% and I am natural.I have thick curly hair.Lots of zig zags, loops, lumps and bumps.I think shrinkage depends on knottiness. The knottier the shorter. Then they grow and grow.I could see how crocheted doesn't shrink, the hairs are shattered so they cant grasp each other and knot the same way.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form