edited title too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 11:35:18AM
Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

OK here is my dreads today (23 Nov 2013) and its been about 6 weeks since I had any crochet work done on them and the crochet hook was a losing battle for me to say the least.

IMG_0032.JPG

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they look better then u might expect after crocheting over and over

--
Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

Thank you soaring eagle that's encouraging to hear, I now realize that my hair doesn't want to be crochet it wants to be hair and do what hair wants to do. My dreadlock journey so far has taken me many places and finally brought me here, the advice I have be given by yourself and other members so far has been inspirational and has given me a real dreadlock freedom and I will keep a photo journal of the progress.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

at a guess how much did you spend already over how long of a time?

--
Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

I reckon I've spent about a grand in 11 months, maybe $1100 that's including the creation.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok coulda been much worse (ofcourse should have been free)

one member spent 800 for "creation" then 5 grand over the next 2 years caking them in wax crocheting interlocking sewing in fake hairs to reinforce the damage they caused ..cutting off loops (the only sign that somehow they were still able to dread)

after 5 grand of abuse she also spent 5 grand on antibiotics and surgeries (multiple) to deal with infected outbreaks caused by the wax..10 grand for rioned dreads (well savable ..in fact a week after joining she got the wax out her skin cleared up she cancled not only all salon appointments but her next already scheduled surgery)

--
Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

Wow that's pretty extreme...I hope they are doing ok now.

In my part of the world dread creation tends to be around $400 on average, mine was about $600 but I've since realized that I went to the most expensive place in Melbourne, The only other one I knew about at the time used wax. Micro dreads seem to be popular here and if you were to get micro dreads where I got my dreads done it would be a 2 day sitting and would cost you $1800 plus. Any future maintenance would be about $110 per hour and thats for any creation type. Luckily for me I met a lady around the corner that does a 2 to 3 hour sitting for $90 and if it wasn't for that my overall expense would be considerably more.

As for my waxing I used a brand called Murry's Bee's Wax, which is a soft wax with consistency similarto Vaseline I guess, I only recently used it and only twice, I hit it with apple cider vinegar the following day so it looks to have worked fairly well but then it wasn't in my hair for very long, now Im just waiting for my wax B gone to arrive so I can make sure I am wax free (smiles)

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

Hey guys, just a quick short term update, been a couple of weeks since I started the thread. I'm pleased to say that my shampoo bars and my wax b gone arrived this week, all very nice and quick postage, about 8 business days from US to AUST, so very happy there definitely be ordering again, international post is a bit of a killer but you've just gotta make it worth while.

Anyway I don't think that there is a great deal of wax left in my hair after a heavy dose of ACV and 4 or 5 washes since but I'm going to smash it with wax b gone in the morning, it's going to be hot so my hair will have all day to air dry.

Ok so my hair is going nuts, I've got heaps of wild hair going on, getting messier and messier by the day especially around my ears coz I tend to sleep on my side and I'm a restless sleeper. Overall my existing dreads still are in tact and I'm certainly not loosing any of them but I'm really going to have to start keeping an eye on separating them and I really don't mind if some of them want to congo as I think down the path I'm going to have a lot of new dreads forming from all the loose hair. The top of my head (crown) is looking really messy because my roots are growing so quickly and although their not dreaded I'm starting to get lots of roots with large looping.

Anyway here is a photo of the top of my head, it's not a great photo, all the looping that is going on is much more obvious in real life especially if you hold up any particular dread, also I'm finding a lot of flyaway hair starting to tangle with other hairs and dreads.

I know it looks like I have bald spots but is extremely amped by my I phone close up and flash

6 Decmber 13.JPG

Cheers

rustdust

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

looks to be progressing well tho still a lil hint of stiffness from either the wax or crochet

ts get an update after a wax b gone treatment or 2

--

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form