Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need some advice, 3 dreads combining into 1

LaRae Allred
@larae-allred
11 years ago
3 posts

My dreads are 3 months old. They started with backcombing and a little T&R. Since they were initially "started" I've learned a lot, and have just let them be, going natural. I did do a little rolling after I'd wash them, just to keep them organized. I stopped even doing that after a while because I over-think everything, and the more I messed with them, the more I convinced myself they weren't going to work.

SO, what brings me here, is I now have 3 babies that are pretty much combined into one at a point about 2" or so from my scalps (see photo). I'd really like to separate them, but I'd also like to inflict the least damage. Any input is appreciated! =)

updated by @larae-allred: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Rip them apart, unless you want a super fat lock. I love them, personally. I've got a bunch of locks that are mad of at lest 3-7 other locks congoed together. But fat locks take more care to wash and dry. They hold moisture longer and can cause mold issues if you're not careful.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

measure or guestimate the size of the section at the scalp

if over an inch..rip apart if under an inch leave alone

to rup rip while wet

if they dont come apart dip fingers in olive oil and rub on the connected areas then try to rip apart

they are fine joined together as long as together they arent too huge

i got dozens with 6 joined as 1

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
LaRae Allred
@larae-allred
11 years ago
3 posts

Thank you for your input. I've always read to "rip" them apart...but that's such a scary though!

Baba Fats said:

Rip them apart, unless you want a super fat lock. I love them, personally. I've got a bunch of locks that are mad of at lest 3-7 other locks congoed together. But fat locks take more care to wash and dry. They hold moisture longer and can cause mold issues if you're not careful.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I've got a video on my page showing how to rip locks apart. The sound my freak you out, but if done correctly, it doesn't hurt your locks. The most important thing to know is NEVER EVER rip them all the way to the scalp. Just rip until they don't rip easily anymore. After that, let them be. If they still look like they are connected at the roots, that's fine. They should be

LaRae Allred
@larae-allred
11 years ago
3 posts

There is a gap between my scalp and the "orgy" (as I call it) that is just loose hair, so I think once I get them separated I'll be good! Thanks again

Baba Fats said:

I've got a video on my page showing how to rip locks apart. The sound my freak you out, but if done correctly, it doesn't hurt your locks. The most important thing to know is NEVER EVER rip them all the way to the scalp. Just rip until they don't rip easily anymore. After that, let them be. If they still look like they are connected at the roots, that's fine. They should be

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

o wow cool good progress for ur 3rd month...after shower pull em apart aggressively til hear rip sound. they will feel diffrent afterward an be 3 separate good ones. this left alone will become a big thick 3 inch or wider dread. which may become heavy and acquire more attention wen washing an drying in future. not to mention may mold deep in the middle of the big dread if conditions stay moist inside. it is ur choice if u want to separate them i think id in ur case by ur picture, id separate these they look good tho progress wise. goodluck have a wonderful journey, good choice to go natural. peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form