Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mr Congo Dreadlock

Nappy Jones
@nappy-jones
11 years ago
8 posts

To congo or not to congo, that is the question. so ive been on a 16 month journey and am always lookin to add character to my lovelies. starting dreads i never really liked the look of congos but now im starting to get an interest in em. i usually watch over them really good so no congos have formed but lately ive been thinking to force some for that nappy look. yay or nay?

updated by @nappy-jones: 01/13/15 09:44:06PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Firstly, how often do you crochet? That is a good way to kill character in your dreads. Secondly, only let dreads congo that, combined, take up less than one square inch, or there abouts. If you have some small sections, definitely congo.

Nappy Jones
@nappy-jones
11 years ago
8 posts

I crochet only when i have lots of loose hair that needs to be tucked away

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Crochet is a bad form of maintenance it breaks hair and it causes the dread to be too tight ( and i can go on but i won't,) Those loose hairs will find a dread to live in, or they will form a new dread. This takes a while. I know crochet gives that instant gratification, but there is nothing about dreads that should be instant. ok with that said, lets talk about congos :) It is personalpreference. If you like the look...go for it. Now remember the bigger they are causes longer drying time and heavier dreads. I have a couple that were tiny baby dreads that merged into one. But because they were tiny, they are officially congos but they don't really look like it. I like the look of a congo or 2 on a person's head. I think it adds a lot of character.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

why force something that happens naturaly (this goes for the crochet too)

stop crocheting stop seperating they congo without force

they dread without force too by forcing them your only destroying them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they dont need to be tucked awau=y and crochet breaks hairs and creates loose hairs its 1 of the most desructive things u can do..leave the loose hairs alone

Nappy Jones said:

I crochet only when i have lots of loose hair that needs to be tucked away

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nappy Jones
@nappy-jones
11 years ago
8 posts

Thank you all so much def helps a lot! Now that you say that ive noticed that some of my dreads are a little tight and sometime wont relax as much... Is there anything to do to loosen em back up or does it just take time? I also feel that if im not constantly working with the dreads they wont dread up, i have thick curly hair but some of the dreads especially the smaller ones need a little help

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Curly hair usually dreads better than straight hair. To he them to soften up, relax, just leave them be. Time is the key to all things dreadlock. When you toss the hook, expect some disconcerting changes in your dreads. The main one is frizzies. All those broken hairs are going to start poking their ends out. Let it happen! Then they'll get messy, loopy, kinky. Let that happen too!As for congoes, the original question. Like Taye said, personal preference. I let a cou
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
I let a couple pairs congo when I first started. I ended up separating them a few months ago, they were just too big for what I like. But at the same time, I have 2 tiny ones that I'm encouraging to congo. The roots are together now, and it's still pretty small. It's all what you prefer and what you're willing to take care of.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form