Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Homeschool/unschool folks?

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Your totally right, SE. All kids in schools are psychos. You won't find one decent person. They're more likely to rape you then shake your hand. Why didn't I see it before.

I'm sure that home schooled kids are friendly on a one to one. I'd prefer my kids to be able to live in society, rather than be afraid of it orill-equippedto deal with it.

updated by @kelly3: 07/22/15 11:22:40AM
Coco Chloe
@coco-chloe
12 years ago
16 posts
I'm looking for community, not negative opinions. Your fears are common, but unfounded. Homeschooling isn't a great fit for all people for sure, and it's best that we all can choose. I'll respond to a few of your fears just bc I am passionate about what we've learned and I love to share!Socialization is the most common criticism, yet it is one of the reasons we choose to hs. I love that my kids have a rich social life with people of all ages, and in many different capacities. They have opportunities for longer uninterrupted free play with kids they choose themselves based on common interests or complementary natures. They learn to lead and help younger kids, and to feel confident speaking to people older than them.Academically, it can be a beautifully tailored experience. My daughter is reading 4 grades above her level and is average in other areas. Independent learning works great for her! We also have coops and group learning opportunities, but best of all, nature and museums, elders, travel.Lastly, I love homeschooling bc it is a healthy choice physically and spiritually. They can eat fresh nourishing foods all day, get lots of time outside, and move their bodies often while they're learning. Boys in particular learn best while moving.Before we started, I thought it was an awful choice too, to be honest! But my experience parenting, and my research, and what I learned from parents who walked this path before us gave us courage to try, and I'm grateful!And....SE said almost the same exact thing in a much more enjoyable read. :)
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but you have to do things right. I'm sure the one to one is great for learning, no doubt about that.

I gave opinions. That's all. You choose what you want to do with your kids, and I hope it works out for them. But, many criticisms may be well founded and should be kept in mind. If you posted just for a pat on the back, then I'm sorry.

Do you have any literature that you could direct me towards? I'm interested in reading about the approach in detail.

Coco Chloe
@coco-chloe
12 years ago
16 posts
It's very easy topic to research, enjoy!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i have freinds who were homeschooled and at 12 years old this kids trying to explain to me how easy it is too build a nuke right down to the cuiritry the trigger mechanism everything (no not cause he was going o build 1 haha) we were talking about terrorism or something and how hard it would be to actualy build a working weapon but hes like nah its not hard i could do it starts drawing diagrams explaining evrery detail..briliant kid
but he also grew up goingto rainbow gatherings so socia;ization wasnt an issue hed socialize regularly with amazing people just not the type to kick his ass if he worse shorts to school or didnt eat meat or liked a diferent ype music then the rest etc

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Coco Chloe
@coco-chloe
12 years ago
16 posts
I love that! We meet the neatest homeschooled people! I just learned that the youngest prof at MIT was homeschooled. :)
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Very helpful. Thank you.

Bree
@bree
12 years ago
19 posts

O.k. I thought that I posted this but, I don't think it went though.... So of the first things I read were John Holt and Daniel Quinn. There is also a book called the Unschool Unmanual that is pretty cool.... We have loved our journey so far :)

Coco Chloe
@coco-chloe
12 years ago
16 posts
Hey mama! I knew there would be a bunch of us in here! Have you had dreads the whole time you've been a mother? Did you always know you'd unschool?
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

I've met a number of home schooled people in my time. Most couldn't hold a conversation to save their lives and two of them suffered from sever social anxiety. It's the unschoolingthat I never heard of before. My whole point is that it has to be done correctly. Maybe sports clubs, parties and other regular social events to keep the balance. But I still don't see how it can compete with the regular social practice that you gain from an educational institution. You learn from both the positive and negative aspects, which were listed by SE earlier. Personally, I have a large network of friends that I maintain regular contact. Some extend as far back as play-school. I'm glad I had theopportunityto attend a regular school.

SE's point that all schools are terrible and just breeding grounds forsocio pathsand rapists is just plain untrue. Sure, there may be some issues to address, but where I come from it works pretty successfully. Like I said before, in the later years I hated school, but it's worked out better than I could ever have expected. One degree down and another on the way. And I don't plan to stop there.

bobbi blaine said:

So you gave all of those opinions without even knowing about the topic?

Adam Kelly said:

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but you have to do things right. I'm sure the one to one is great for learning, no doubt about that.

I gave opinions. That's all. You choose what you want to do with your kids, and I hope it works out for them. But, many criticisms may be well founded and should be kept in mind. If you posted just for a pat on the back, then I'm sorry.

Do you have any literature that you could direct me towards? I'm interested in reading about the approach in detail.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form