Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads and jobs

c21dread
@c21dread
12 years ago
17 posts

interesting comments. I have been very lucky in my working life - i worked as a steel erector which eventually led me to building concert stages . been self employed 25 years - met loads of people, seen loads of gigs for free and a lot of countries i would never have got to see either (and got a ruck load of t shirts!) but as far as discrimination goes- Even rock and roll has its discriminatory people - it is nowhere near as cool as you may think - I suppose its the same as it has always been for dready ever since the comb was invented- a bit like marmite- some people love it some people hate it . The problem is when you hate someone for their difference from you. personally i wouldnt have changed any reaction i have had because it has all been part of building my character- good and bad - you either accept people or you dont - but Dready sees not as man sees- for Dready sees the hearts of men. and you dont actuall y have to have dreads to BE dread - nor does having dreads make you dread.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

thank you. I've always said that as I age, I'll end up going bald, but I'll never stopconsideringmyself a dreadhead.

c21dread
@c21dread
12 years ago
17 posts

dread is IN the heart not ON the head.

there are lots of dreads who are very nasty people

there are lots of lovely people who dont have dreads

saying that - i would never cut mine for a job - but then i have always had work - so - it has never been an issue -saying that- I would not let anything get in the way of feeding my family - so - maybe i would

- incidentally - anyone in uk who would like to learn to build concerts (dreads or no dreads!!- but you MUST be able to work your ass off in terrible conditions without moaning!!) give me a buzz at

respect4safety@live.co.uk (please do not use this address for anything else!!) and if you are of delicate disposition - DO NOT APPLY!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Do you just build the stages, or do you do any of the sound work? I run local shows and run their sound. It's for all sorts of styles of music. They've got a great outdoor stage, so I don't have to build anything, but I do have to arrange the amps and mics and all that. I've been doing it for over 5 years, but I could always use some tips

danielle sprankel
@danielle-sprankel
12 years ago
4 posts

i work in a daycare, and i just dreaded mine a week or two ago. one of my directors thought i was crazy and askedwat i was doing to my hair, i explained the whole process, the washing the cleanlinessand every feeling i had about them(absolutly love them, i feel beautiful with them)the other said she would have to look into if it was part of dress code. i got nervous because i didnt want to remove them. i didnt hear nothing else till today when i walked in and all they said was make shure i tie my hair up. i smiled so big. i was stoked that i didnt have to remove them or lose my job. and alot of my coworkers think they are pretty cool so do some of the parents. so that just adds on to awesomeness and the excitement of having them in a different environment.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's so awesome. Some of the kids will probably love them too. I can't wait to have kids cause I know a them will probably want to play with them and pull on them.

At least you don't have to take them out. Most places that deal with kids don't like you having locks because they think they show that you are too liberal and will be a "bad" influence on children

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

I've been a machinist/CNC programmer for five years now, I've had my dreads for three. The change was gradual enough that no-one said anything too forward, but after a while of dreading they asked for when i was gonna cut my hair. They haven't asked in a long time so they must have figured out i don't plan on cutting them. Since I work with machinery I need to tie them up anyways. My manager, although he seems to function with only the left side of his brain, acknowledges that he disagrees with many of my ideas and thinks my dreads are pretty ridiculous but also thinks I'm pretty smart and intuitive.

Marissa Victoria
@marissa-victoria
11 years ago
34 posts

I'm a nanny at the moment. I started working for them before dreading, though they don't seem like they would mind regardless as long as I take care of the kids. I'm going to start looking for some other families to work with, so I guess it'll be my first time experiencing the discrimination (if it does happen) or the famillies I would want to work with anyway won't judge me and they will know I'm an amazing loving person to care for their kids. If you go into a job interview thinking " oh shit hopefully they don't discriminate" you mayyy end up in a worse position if you went in their being you happy as can be proud of yourself but ultimatley not worrying about it. The people I would want to spend my time with anyways would hopefully be people in tune to the more important aspects of people not worrying about appearance. But about the kind of person and amazing heart those people have; while being able to do the job!

:)

updated by @marissa-victoria: 02/16/15 01:38:13AM
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
I am a CNA in a nursing home and a PCT at a hospital. I love both! My residents don't like my hair (most of them joke that they're going to pin me and comb them out, lol) and my patients, being the diverse lot that can only be found on a med/surg floor on any given day, either love them or hate them. If they even notice them! No issues here, I was told I must keep them clean and off the collar. The CNO has seen them down and didn't even bat an eye.Interesting topic and fun to see the variety!
updated by @κύριε-ελέησόν: 07/22/15 05:14:55AM
brandy
@brandy
11 years ago
11 posts

I wear my hair up in a clip and make it look like it has a lotta body and poofiness. :) THen of course I dress like I always have a work, try to keep it casual / professional. I work in a pediatrics office but I do not work with the public like I used to. I am now in a call center with my own desk. I feel like everybody there already knows me for me so if I can keep it tidy-it won't be an issue. Plus, being different from everybody else is something I value and ya can't fire someone with good values :) <3 I have really cool bosses too that probably helps. I like this discussion to see what different ways to be professional at work are. Thanks!

/ 16

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form