Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads and jobs

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i think "momma has dreads" is a nurse. she might be the best one to answer your question.

Brittany Rassat said:

I'm going to be going to school to be a registered nurse and was wondering if any one has had an issue getting a job as an RN with dreads?

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

I am unemployed pretty much and unemployable pretty much.

I mean, I'm an artist. I have work on walls on three continents, but that's about it.
I have fibromyalgia (an invisible chronic pain and fatigue syndrome) which is aggravated by hypermobility (loose joints all over my body, my scapula are always out of alignment, I pop in and out of joints in my fingers and toes, my back is constantly overworked to the point of agony because the large muscle groups kick in to try and keep from letting spine pop out of alignment and so on) and I also have ADD, Dysthymia and anxiety problems on the mental front.

So yeah... fuck it... I'll do whatever I want to my hair!

SurrealLove
@surreallove
13 years ago
12 posts

I was doing landscaping and was hired with dreads. The small company had two other dreadheads. :) The only other job I had with dreads was at the Safeway Starbucks (3 years ago when I started my first set). I had to wear my hair tied up and a hair net every day. Later I found out when I reapplied that "some people" thought it looked dirty. I've seen checkers at other Safeways with their gorgeous locks exposed for the world to see... But that's a small wealthy retirement community for ya.

But now I'm about to have a baby, so I'll be home with him. In the past, all the other jobs I applied to/ interviewed for while having dreads haven't been successful. I'm still not sure if it was my appearance or qualifications... Perhaps fear of impending judgment of my appearance made my interviews less than what they could have been.

Alex Haighton Kerr
@alex-haighton-kerr
13 years ago
11 posts

I work in an agriculturalsupplies store in scotland and i had no bother getting my job with dreads. I just need to keep it tied back cos it looks a bit wild and mental when its all set free hee hee

i dont think i have had any funny looks and no one has been nasty i have one strange customer who has more issues with my lip piercing than my dreads i have now conquered that nemasis and he is friendly enough he asks for me and calls me dready! haa so i just go with that!

I had funnier looks when i had bright coloured hair but now its in dreads its just a kinda natural reddy brown...from a bottle! so no issues there! i keep em clean and no one has an issue!

i think it depends on your employer and your attitude if you are a nice person and that shows through then thats all you can do other than that if they still dont like you its their loss...aint my problem! I try so thats all i can do.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I was a cook at a whole foods. I started at one store, and I was told that my locks were ok length then, but as they grew, I'd have to get a new hat that would cover them all. It was kind of like a tam.

When Itransferredto a different store, no one said anything until I did. I asked what could be done about getting myself one of those tams with a whole foods logo. I was told by my direct boss, and again by the manager of the store that I'd have to cut them or not work there any more.

So when it came time to send in our annual leadership reviews and self esteem reviews (yeah we got to tell corporate how we feel about the job and the store leaders), I made it the main topic of mine. A few months later we had a store meeting and were informed that the boss decided to let us pick new hats if we wanted. I was given no credit, but he looked right at me as he said it.

Oh, for anyone who wants to work at a whole foods, they have been listed as one of the worst employers in the country. I'd stay away. the 20% you get off isn't worth it

Bummie
@bummie
13 years ago
34 posts

SE i asked someone in the military if it were possible to keep long hair. they said there is no way in hell unless you are already in and work OSI then you can grow your hair and beard to fit in with locals. Ive never in my life seen a WHITE cop with locs or a beat cop with hair past the shoulders. Im sure if you work undercover you would be cool though. Alot of corporate jobs probably still wont hire you. how are you going to prove they discriminated against you for your hair after the interview? I also think its alot easier for black people to get hired as its much more accepted for them to have loc's

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

that in itself is descrimination

and in vietnam natve american scouts were alowed to keep their hair long as when the hair was cut they becoame less effective scouts which lead to a top secret study that showed the hair is a sensative extention of the nervouse system often the 1st signs of danger youd be aware of is the hair standing up on the back of your neck or in general that triggers a hightened awareness and it was proven that not only where they better scouts with long hair but had a greatter chance of survival as well

ypu can fight for a religios exception but its not reeasy you need thpusands of signatures on a petition then you need very detailed justification and pressent yoiur case..because its so dificult its rare that many take it that far since theyd need very strong dedication and few who are that dedicated wiould be joining the military anyway

cops ive seen em i know a swat team cop with dreads and dreaded beard

i also know a ceo of a fortion 500 company with dreads (he maybe retired now im not sure)

many take the dont rock the boat approach and conform but u can get any job at all with dreads (except where they would endanger you fireman fighter or test pilot where youd need a presurized mask etc) if you fight for it i believe we even have a wall st investment banker on here and have several in corporate jobs law offices you name it

doctors..preists

in fact if u read every page of this youd be amazed at the variety of jobs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bummie
@bummie
13 years ago
34 posts

that was back in Vietnam though. and if its part of your religious beliefs chances are killing people is also against those beliefs. This is straight out of the regulation book for the airforce "AFI 36-2903"

Cleanly shaven heads, military high-and-tight or flat-top cuts are authorized. Prohibited examples (not all inclusive) are Mohawk, mullet, cornrows, dreadlocks or etched design. Men are not authorized hair extensions. See Figure 3.1 for sideburns, mustache and beard and for graphic examples of male hair standards.

the only exception i could find were for beards which read:

3.1.2.3.1. During tours of less than 30 days, Air Force Reserve (AFR) and Air National Guard (ANG) chaplains not on extended active duty may request a beard waiver for religious observance when consistent with their faith. For AFR waiver processing instructions see AFMAN 36-8001, Participation and Training Procedures. For ANG waiver process instructions contact ANG/HC.

But this is only for beards and when doing a tour of less than 30 days.

Here it is from the army "r670_1"

18. Hair and fingernail standards and grooming policies
a. Hair.
(1) General. The requirement for hair grooming standards is necessary to maintain uniformity within a military population. Many hairstyles are acceptable, as long as they are neat and conservative. It is not possible to address every acceptable hairstyle, or what constitutes eccentric or conservative grooming. Therefore, it is the responsibility of leaders at all levels to exercise good judgment in the enforcement of Army policy. All soldiers will comply with the hair, fingernail, and grooming policies while in any military uniform or while in civilian clothes on duty.

(2) Male haircuts will conform to the following standards.
(a) The hair on top of the head must be neatly groomed. The length and bulk of the hair may not be excessive or present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. The hair must present a tapered appearance. A tapered appearance is one where the outline of the soldiers hair conforms to the shape of the head, curving inward to the natural termination point at the base of the neck. When the hair is combed, it will not fall over the ears or eyebrows, or touch the collar, except for the closely cut hair at the back of the neck. The block-cut fullness in the back is permitted to a moderate degree, as long as the tapered look is maintained. In all cases, the bulk or length of hair may not interfere with the normal wear of headgear (see para 18a(1)(a), above) or protective masks or equipment. Males are not authorized to wear braids, cornrows, or dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted, individual parts of hair) while in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair that is clipped closely or shaved to the scalp is authorized.

Swat is a special response team and alot of those guys are undercover's so they can look however they want to fit in with criminals. they can probably even get away with having tattoo's on their hands and neck.

I have seen plenty of "professionals" like doctors lawyers with locks but never have i seen the person at McDonald's take my order with some wild ass loc's. If you chose to fight for your rights when you haven't been called back after an interview how will you prove that they didnt hire you based on your hair? they will just say they found someone more qualified than you.

updated by @bummie: 02/14/15 12:31:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

policty is policy but constitutional rights trump policy and the courts will uphold the constitution

there was also the no gays in the military policy when challenged against constitutional rights the constitutuion won out

you cn always fight and change policy when your constititutional rights alow it

haha i worked at msdonnalds with a mohawk how wikl you prove it by proving your more qualified

and if your hairs even mentioned in the interview then its a done deal

they tried descriminating against my best freind who worked at dominoes over her dreads the manager was always pushing her to cut them she refused and stood up for her rights...now shes the manager haha

they fired the old manager for herbiased opinions (if u wernt cristian shed give u shitty hours and scrww u over) and promoted the dready to her job doubled her pay and trippled her hours

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 05:18:15AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

and shouldnt killing people be against all human beliefs religios or not?

id never join the military no matter what the policy

--

/ 16

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form