Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadhead discrimination!

Alexandra
@alexandra
12 years ago
16 posts

Has anyone else heard about this? Petition! My mom just sent this in an email today and I couldn't resist telling all fellow dreadheads about this terrible discrimination,regardingjobs, going on at Six Flags. Where's the love and acceptance?

updated by @alexandra: 02/14/15 06:44:20AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I worked as a cook for 5 years. All you need to do is wear a hair net. You can sue them because wearing locks is actually protected by the first amendment

Alexandra
@alexandra
12 years ago
16 posts

Yes! Exactly! It's astounding they would actually try to get away with that sort of discrimination. Appalling.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you are growing your locks for spiritual reasons, there is nothing they can do to stop you. Just like they can't stop muslims or Jews from wearing their head-piece.

This is a simpe religious rights issue

Alexandra
@alexandra
12 years ago
16 posts

Precisely. Unfortunately there are people out there who don't care, or are just ignorant of that fact and will try to hold you back. They just don't realize they will be fought against! I came from a small town and all of the back country conservatives had a notion that dreads were basically the axis of evil... too crazy this stuff happens because of ignorance.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I know. In Philly there are just so many people with locks. I don't see many on a day to day basis, but when I go out to parades or other events we're all over the place. It's a cultural thing. But the concept of white people with locks is still looked down on. My whole family thinks I am trying to "look black". And they keep telling me I will have to cut them to get a job. But they forget the fact that I never had to cut them for any other jobs. Why would I have to for the next one?

Alexandra
@alexandra
12 years ago
16 posts

It's so silly whites are scorned for having dreads and even called racist for having them. Personally I can't stand the stereo types that go along with having dreads. So many times I have been asked if I was Rasta.. it drives me insane! But really the worst is being stopped on the street and asked where the drugs are. Some people literally think that because I have dreads I must do drugs. Even at my last job everyone I worked with thought I was a druggy because of my hair (though they still let me work..haha). I can't wait to see the day where all of thisnonsensestops!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I get asked that all the time. Don't sweat it. my response is and always will be "what, do I look like a pot head?". I don't put any sarcasm in it. I just laugh. They laugh. Tension eased automatically.

A friend of mine likes to quote Dave Chappelle. He says "well, you are wearing a pot head uniform"

It's amusing. I don't do any drugs anymore. So it's just funny to see how many people come up to you and ask. It's also fun to see what kind of people do. I've had everyone from hippies to gangstas ask me

Nixxi
@nixxi
12 years ago
10 posts

Whenever people are rude about my crazy head I just tell them "My dreads are for me, not for you."

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

While that's true, it leads them to get defensive. I like to make a joke and ease the tension so we can both laugh

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form