Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Searching for employment with dreadlocks

ForgottenPast22
@forgottenpast22
3 years ago
11 posts

Hello,

I know this is always a widely discussed topic but I was recently let go of my previous job and and looking for new employment. I am 24 year old male with dreadlocks that are down to my shoulders that I've had for just about 2 years now. Needless to say, I love my dreads and don't ever want to get rid of them. I feel as though they are apart of me and I can't see myself any other way, they just work for me.

Anyways, so my concern is of course the fear of walking into a job interview and the employer saying "your going to have to cut your hair." I'm afraid of being put of the spot of making the decision of cutting my hair for a job etc etc and if it would be foolish of me NOT to cut my hair. As I already previously stated, I don't want to and I never really do. At the same time, I feel a sense of weakness/shame in the idea that my dreads can be 'that' important to me, and I'm not sure if that is right to feel. I feel people around me say and would say "its just hair, whats more important?" But my ideal life and job would be one that would allow me to live life the way I wanted to live it. Would any of you be able to share with me the same anxiety? Would you cut off your dreads no problem or would you have anxiety about it? Am I just over-thinking this do you think?

And with all that being said, what are your suggestions with finding employment? What would be your suggestion of I came across an employment opportunity but they told me I had to cut my hair and I didn't want to? I appreciate all your help, any guidance is welcome.


updated by @forgottenpast22: 01/13/15 09:55:21PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
3 years ago
1,302 posts

That's a very interesting question. I am double your age, so no, I would NOT cut them off for any job. I know my rights and would sue their ass off if my employment hiring was based solely on my dreadlocks. That being said, I am not dependent on being the sole income earner. What would I do if I had to go for a job interview? I know my skills, my personality and business sense, so I would also take a recorder, (I am older, so I guess it is phones now or whatever), but anyways, I would record the interview without them knowing. If the comment was mentioned about dreadlocks and cutting them, then their ass would be grass. An employer can't dismiss anyone also due to religion, if they have children, due to race.....questions like those can't even be asked in an interview, okay, race is most times obvious, but you get my point. Who know, if you record your interview, and the subject never comes up, just by listening to it after you may get ideas on why you did not get the job. Did you talk nervous? Speak clearly? Answer politely? You catch my drift.

I would not work for a company that thinks my productivity & customer service skills would be any different without dreads.

Be friendly, smiling, polite, shake hands, be groomed and smell fresh, speak clearly, and sell yourself to the future employer. Times are tough out there and I wish you all the best on your search. Good luck...peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,417 posts

they legaluy cant tell you to cut them if they do you can sue

theres something called freedom of religios expression

now some may say you need a letter from a rastafrian church leader this is alsio false and ilegal

religion doesnt mean your a member of a church

also dreads are a part of almost every belief there is

and its ilegal for them to requit=re you divilge your belufs (why that question and race questions are always optional never required)

so

you walk in to the interview with your dreads tied back neatly and act like you have no dreads and are fairly confifddent that you have the job in fact interview the interviwer on jomb ecxpectations vacation and benifits give tem your require,= ments etc

now if they dare to mem[ntion the dreads besides swying i like your dreads just look confusded and say " why do you ask? you are awarwe of freedom of religion right and the thousands of court cases that all say dreads are proteced by law, even in jail? (with the exception of when its a severe safety hazard like preventing the proper fit of a pressurized oxegen mask)

in fact the law says they cannoyt ask you to cover cut or maintain

then ask them if a jewish person came in wearing a yamuka (spelling?) or a muslim in a burka or turban etc would they dare to say they cant wear it to work?




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,417 posts

u know theres a dreads and jobs and en]mployment issues category moved there for ya




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
ForgottenPast22
@forgottenpast22
3 years ago
11 posts

Thank you very much for that answer! I had trouble finding another thread that was exactly what I was looking for so that you for that. The answer was very informative, however I admit that I do not wear dreadlocks for religious reasons, so, I mean is that kind of lying in my case? I guess it doesn't really maybe? Just curious, otherwise I will be fine at the interview I feel, I guess I'm always anxious about going into a job interview and they say "you know we have a mandatory dress/appearance code here" and being caught completely off guard.

soaring eagle said:

u know theres a dreads and jobs and en]mployment issues category moved there for ya

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
27,417 posts

reply and your mandantory code contradicts the constitution and bill of rights?

are they spiritual to you in any way you say youd never want to be without them they are an important part of who you are

ForgottenPast22 said:

Thank you very much for that answer! I had trouble finding another thread that was exactly what I was looking for so that you for that. The answer was very informative, however I admit that I do not wear dreadlocks for religious reasons, so, I mean is that kind of lying in my case? I guess it doesn't really maybe? Just curious, otherwise I will be fine at the interview I feel, I guess I'm always anxious about going into a job interview and they say "you know we have a mandatory dress/appearance code here" and being caught completely off guard.

soaring eagle said:

u know theres a dreads and jobs and en]mployment issues category moved there for ya




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
ForgottenPast22
@forgottenpast22
3 years ago
11 posts

If you put it in that sense then yes absolutely. Thank you for helping clear this all up for me I really appreciate it!

soaring eagle said:

reply and your mandantory code contradicts the constitution and bill of rights?

are they spiritual to you in any way you say youd never want to be without them they are an important part of who you are

ForgottenPast22 said:

Thank you very much for that answer! I had trouble finding another thread that was exactly what I was looking for so that you for that. The answer was very informative, however I admit that I do not wear dreadlocks for religious reasons, so, I mean is that kind of lying in my case? I guess it doesn't really maybe? Just curious, otherwise I will be fine at the interview I feel, I guess I'm always anxious about going into a job interview and they say "you know we have a mandatory dress/appearance code here" and being caught completely off guard.

soaring eagle said:

u know theres a dreads and jobs and en]mployment issues category moved there for ya

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus