Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Supportive parents?

MooseHead
@moosehead
15 years ago
9 posts
I was just wondering if I was the only one here with ultra-supportive parents...I'm lucky enough to have a mum and dad who are supportive with anything I decide to do and help me every step of the way. They have always encouraged me with my music, school work and now with my dreads.I was thinking that maybe other people with supportive parents dread-wise could share how their parents and families have helped them. Maybe we could get our parents to write some kind of letter to other people who are having issues with their parents? Like a supportive parent of dreadhead to an unsupportive parent of dreadhead.I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there. :)
updated by @moosehead: 03/02/19 10:33:47PM
Jodie Hyland
@jodie-hyland
15 years ago
23 posts
My mum was the one who TnR and back combed mine :)
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
15 years ago
155 posts
I'm old enough that my parents really don't have much to say in my life. I mean they give their input and it can be taking either way. I think my Dad has mixed feelings about my hair, He'll say something smart assed about my dreads but then, He will stick up for me if I'm being harrassed by somone else. My mom doesn't really seemed bothered by them at all, except now she has no one to blame for the hair she loses in the shower.When you are going to cut that hair and grow up? anyone get that question.
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
GratefulNick said:
When you are going to cut that hair and grow up? anyone get that question.
Both of my parents have 5 older brothers, and I get that "When you cuttin' that crap off your head" crap every time I see any of them. The ladies of my family however are all mildly more tolerant.As far as the 'Supportive DreadHead Parents OutReach Program', I LOVE the idea!!! I really could have used something like that when I was a teen. I had dreads anyway, but not with parental blessing.
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
Everyone doubts them when they're young. But it's only ever the people who have little to no experience with them. It's just the patience thing, most people don't seem to have it.
Emily
@emily
15 years ago
203 posts
my mom has always been really supportive of my dreads...my dad not so much. its all good tho, he just says 'well i guess its your hair i cant tell you what to do with it.' my mom actually stood up to my grandma when she was giving me crap about em, it was reallly sweet of her :)
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
It's to be expected, really. I mean, I always tell people that I'd rather they just ask whatever question it is that they have than assume something and be wrong. But you also have to give a stranger who's asking questions some props for wanting to learn; well, dependent upon their method of 'asking'. Cuz we've all had an encounter with someone who wants to tell you how to do it, having no - little experience.
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
well my parents werent to fond of my dreads but as much as they dont like them if someone makes a a bad comment about me they got my back. my husbands parents think that they are cool even his grandmother and aunts love me. i think thats awesome. now we have a baby hes 18 months and he has dreads and loves to play with them. and if he decides to do something diffrent with his hair we know how important support from your parents really is so even if we wouldnt wear it, we got his back no matter what. everyones diffrent and i think its a great idea to have a place where other parents can show how easy it is to support your child. its a great idea and i think it may work
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
i agree with this. i mean most people dont even understand that dreasd can be washed. everytime someone asks me a question about them i always answer nicely and explain as much as i can so that theyre like " wow dreads are clean and dread heads are very nice" sometimes they seem scared to ask like im going to smack them or something but id rather have honest questions then ignorant assumptions cuz maybe down the line someone will say something negative about dreadlocks and the person i educated could tell them what they learned from me. Alden said:
It's to be expected, really. I mean, I always tell people that I'd rather they just ask whatever question it is that they have than assume something and be wrong. But you also have to give a stranger who's asking questions some props for wanting to learn; well, dependent upon their method of 'asking'. Cuz we've all had an encounter with someone who wants to tell you how to do it, having no - little experience.
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
lolAmen
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form