Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Here's An Uncomfortable Situation...

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
5 years ago
665 posts
My 12 year old daughter Blaze has had her dreads exactly one month tomorrow. Her hair is made for dreading! Infact, I posted a discussion about it dreading too fast. In a months time her hair has more progress than mine did at 6 mos.! I admit that I am jealous. Anyway, the problem is that my daughter can be lazy (like most kids!) and less than thorough with hair washing and rinsing...So, I have been washing her hair with a dread bar and ACV in the sink about twice a week. Since this is all new to her she is complaining (LOUDLY!) and today she announced, "I hate dreads! This is too much work! And you are washing my hair for me, like I am a baby!" Well, we convinced her to reconsider and not comb them out...but, how would you all handle it? Let her do it herself? Tell her anything specific? Keep doing it for her for awhile? At the moment, the seperating is taking awhile...even with cartoons, she is annoyed. And by the way, this was her decision...not mine..she asked for dreads (just like Mom!).
updated by @panterra-caraway: 02/14/15 05:47:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
27,413 posts

let her do it herself teach her what she needs tio do to care for them show her what can happen if she doesnt seperate offer to help her seperate but let her wash herself




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
5 years ago
665 posts
Thank you Soaring Eagle :) I will give the job back to her. I think that I will also share the site with her alittle bit to see others (besides just me). Appreciate it.
soaring eagle said:

let her do it herself teach her what she needs tio do to care for them show her what can happen if she doesnt seperate offer to help her seperate but let her wash herself

Jdwood
@jdwood
5 years ago
275 posts
Agreed, she will become more attached to her dreads if she is the one taking care of them. If you do all the work there is a risk that in her mind it becomes mom's project.

soaring eagle said:

let her do it herself teach her what she needs tio do to care for them show her what can happen if she doesnt seperate offer to help her seperate but let her wash herself

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
5 years ago
849 posts
yes def. teach her how to take proper care of her dreads and what could happen if she doesn't (mold, mono-dread etc...) I would def. set her up a page on DLS too help her post some pics of her hair and ask questions when she needs to, feeling like a member of a community will probably be helpful. You're such a great Mom Panterra! :o)
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
5 years ago
665 posts
Thanks Jd! I think you are right. She even made a comment about that (These are MY dreads!)
Much love my friend <3
Jdwood said:
Agreed, she will become more attached to her dreads if she is the one taking care of them. If you do all the work there is a risk that in her mind it becomes mom's project.

soaring eagle said:

let her do it herself teach her what she needs tio do to care for them show her what can happen if she doesnt seperate offer to help her seperate but let her wash herself

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
5 years ago
665 posts

AfterI read your post I asked her if she would like to be a part of the site...she got really excited! I also realized that I really didn't fully explain why we seperate and I knowI never mentioned mold...once I did she was like, "Oh, I didn't know, I see." Isn't it amazing how sometimes we can just omit something so important in our doing of life?Thank you NaturalWomyn!(I like to think I am a better mom becauseI have such great mom friends ;)...<3)
NaturalWomyn said:
yes def. teach her how to take proper care of her dreads and what could happen if she doesn't (mold, mono-dread etc...) I would def. set her up a page on DLS too help her post some pics of her hair and ask questions when she needs to, feeling like a member of a community will probably be helpful. You're such a great Mom Panterra! :o)
Nikki5
@nikki5
5 years ago
30 posts
This thread made me smile. :)
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
5 years ago
665 posts
Thanks Nikki, I am glad :D Have an awesome day<3

Nikki said:
This thread made me smile. :)
Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
5 years ago
87 posts

I have an 11 yr old boy who has had his dreads since he was 7. I can relate to you when you say your daughter's hair dreads fast. My son's dreads were made for dreading too. He decided to dread too on his own.I don't have any advice to add to what has already been given but that I told my son that he should cleanse his dreads at least once a week to keep them clean.

I got him his own dread soap and he is not really wanting to use the apple cider vinegar rinse but it is starting to change his mind a bit after telling him what it does for the health of his scalp and dreads.

Nice to hear stories I can relate to! :-]

 / 2
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus