Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice convincing mom to let me get dreads?

Maddy
@maddy
13 years ago
5 posts

So my mom is really against me getting dreadlocks . I've tried to convince her so many times to let me get dreadlocks but the best that she would let me do was get only 3 dreadlocks, and I have had those for about 2 months and now I want more really bad. She says she won't let me because they're dirty, which they aren't if you take care of them. I'm only sixteen and unless I convice her I won't be able to get a full head until I move out. I love dreadlocks so much and I think that they are absolutely gorgeous. Does anyone have any advice for me? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

updated by @maddy: 01/13/15 08:55:02PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

hello maddy's mom

i have had dreadlocks over 20 years and take very good care of them and take pride in keeping them clean, in fact, dreads will take way longer to dread if they are dirty. maddy knows that dreads are clean and also is aware of the ignorance of many surropunding dreads. facing these sterotypes and proving them wrong builds charachter and strength. in addition dreading is healthy not only for the hair but personalityas well. building valuable confidence independence and healthy self image.

many people in theyre teens suffer such horrible depression from judgment, self and body image issues, identity issues and moee.. dreading cures these causing the individual to be strong, and self confident.

i know your wish is to be protective but in this case facing those fears of descrimination and judgmebt is what will cause maddy to rise above and be unaffected.

talk to maddy theres a reason why maddy wants dreads its not just a look its deeper then that it affects your life

causes a serenity and wisdom, confidence andsecurity

many of the things so many lack in theyre lives.

join the dreadlockssite meet kids, parents, even grandparents with dreads anbd gain a greatter understanding yiurself

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Maddy
@maddy
13 years ago
5 posts
Thank you so much! I will have my mom read this. (:

soaringeagle said:

hello maddy's mom

i have had dreadlocks over 20 years and take very good care of them and take pride in keeping them clean, in fact, dreads will take way longer to dread if they are dirty. maddy knows that dreads are clean and also is aware of the ignorance of many surropunding dreads. facing these sterotypes and proving them wrong builds charachter and strength. in addition dreading is healthy not only for the hair but personalityas well. building valuable confidence independence and healthy self image.

many people in theyre teens suffer such horrible depression from judgment, self and body image issues, identity issues and moee.. dreading cures these causing the individual to be strong, and self confident.

i know your wish is to be protective but in this case facing those fears of descrimination and judgmebt is what will cause maddy to rise above and be unaffected.

talk to maddy theres a reason why maddy wants dreads its not just a look its deeper then that it affects your life

causes a serenity and wisdom, confidence andsecurity

many of the things so many lack in theyre lives.

join the dreadlockssite meet kids, parents, even grandparents with dreads anbd gain a greatter understanding yiurself

supp
@supp
13 years ago
81 posts

hahahahahaahah OMG THIS IS MY MUM! XD.....I guess mothers throughout the world like to hate against something different and outside the norm. Ohhh well eventually everything will work out

Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

Hah, your not alone Maddy.

Im 45 had my locs for a year now and my mum still hasnt said a word about them, dad was always vocal about his dislike before i got them but then said he gotta admit they suit some and do suit me, hah he even said it was the neatest my hair had been in years(roflmao) but mum..... not a word, no dislike, yuck,why did you get them,nothing.

As Dad put it, in his opinion they suit some people others not and he couldn't picture me with them so figured they wouldn't suit me, he was wrong and admits it which is great cos it was his opinion i feared the most.

best of luck...

Jacob Delaney
@jacob-delaney
13 years ago
2 posts

yea bro i'm 15 i live with my dad in oregon my mom (lives in florida) flips if i even mention dreads, ( as of now i am dread less :( )

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

The main problem that parents seem to have with locks is that they are or at the very least look "dirty".

Here's the thing though.
Dirty locks rot.

If you don't keep 'em clean you will stink to high heaven and they will decay and fall out.

Most people with locks tend to actually have cleaner and healthier hair on a day to day basis.
Try explaining this to yer folks and see if they listen.
If they won't, then have 'em come 'round and talk to people with locks, preferably in person if you know anyone with 100% natural locks (as the wax is grody and will be "dirty").

Doogie
@doogie
13 years ago
321 posts

If she doesn't allow it, just get a residue free shampoo and wash your hair once a wk to every other week just don't brush or comb and use NO conditioners or hair dryer!

Melanie2
@melanie2
13 years ago
99 posts

I get loads of complements about my dreads, sometimes people come up to me and want to touch them. Just keep them clean and dryand they will reward you : ) I've had my dreads for nearly 7 years and I am a mother of three, I think my kids will be hard pushed to find anything to shock me with...as I've been there and got the t-shirt. : )

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form