Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How can I tell my mother that I'm getting dreadlocks?

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
So my mother has had issues with her hair her whole life. It's very curly and poofy and she just hates it. She spends all the money she has(which is not much) on hair products- shampoos conditioners straighteners colors...When she got pregnant with her first(and only) girl(me) she prayed and begged that I would have straight beautiful hair... And I do. It's straight and silky and soft. But it has never felt like my hair. I dont like the blandness the color, anything.So I want to get dreadlocks. I know that she doesn't like dreadlocks and she probably thinks they're dirty and irreversible. So I need a way to explain to her why I'm getting them without crushing her feelings.I need advice please!! :)
updated by @opaulao: 02/16/18 10:10:40AM
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Show her the thousands of beautiful deadlock pictures here and then if she reacts negatively say "Oh really, I love the look and feel and the freedom of them, I was thinking I would like to give dreads ago." (something along those lines)If you do dread, go natural, it won't be so much of a shock because you grow into them rather than *poof* a head full of twists. The people around you have time to adjust slowly too.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
mom i see you fighting your hair all the time spending all your money on trying to tame it why dont you take a journey with me and stop fighting your hairs natural desire to dread?dreads are all hairs most natural condition its how hair wants to beand its a beautiful thing to let nature take its courseim ready to dread your welcome to dread with me if youd likewe can call it bonding :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
"Hey, mom..." Yes?"I'm growing dreadlocks."Pretty easy. Everything after that statement is up to you. =)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
lol!! Thats pretty much how i told her i was a vegetarian :) ... It took a while to adjust to that one GreyGargoyle said:
"Hey, mom..." Yes?
"I'm growing dreadlocks."

Pretty easy. Everything after that statement is up to you. =)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Thats great advice thank you :)) Island Mamma said:
Show her the thousands of beautiful deadlock pictures here and then if she reacts negatively say "Oh really, I love the look and feel and the freedom of them, I was thinking I would like to give dreads ago." (something along those lines)
If you do dread, go natural, it won't be so much of a shock because you grow into them rather than *poof* a head full of twists. The people around you have time to adjust slowly too.
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
As much as i would love this(plus theyd look great on her.. She has very nice bone structure) she would never in a million years do it. She is very insecure about her hair :/ soaringeagle said:
mom i see you fighting your hair all the time spending all your money on trying to tame it why dont you take a journey with me and stop fighting your hairs natural desire to dread?
dreads are all hairs most natural condition its how hair wants to be
and its a beautiful thing to let nature take its course
im ready to dread your welcome to dread with me if youd like
we can call it bonding :)
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
I had to LOL when I read your message. I am a mom of three and I was some what worried about how I was going to tell my kids I am doing dreads. My son has had his for six years, he was fine. He is the one that helped me back comb my. His are natural. The other two kids were fine with it too.....I told them that this was my mid-life crises and I was happy with it too. Good luck with your folks.peace
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
have her join and talk to all of us

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Ok so i told her, i don't think she believed me at first. She understood what I was saying, I showed her pictures of the type of dreads I want. Eventually she told me I would look horrible... But I told her I am going to do it anyways and I think she gave up. I have gone through many "rebelious" phases(she thinks I rebel against her but o really don't) and she knows the way I am :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form