Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Whats it like being a dready parent?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,190 posts
i was gonna say that that if they ssaid that to me i would have taken em to courtin fact my responce to them would have been " would you like to explain to my lawyer how your able to break constitutional law and violate rights like that?" then i would take out my cell and start dialing the aclu or a law firm while standing in front of theyre desk staring them downRev. Niradhara said:
zyn that school policy sounds like a direct negation of some peoples human rights by presumtion that all human hair is combable. but agree you dont want to send your kid into an environment where this is an issue making negativity around him.



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Abuse counselor at:
Expose The Abuse (coming soon)

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 06:49:26PM
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
7 years ago
154 posts
its funny cuz as a dread family sometimes you get the "awe cute look at you guys you all have the same hair how cute is that" then you get the head shakes and the whispers right. its just amuzing to see who in the world is openminded and who isnt. like my side of the family pretty much hates them as my husbands side of the family always has open converdation about it andnow some of johns lil cousins want dreads too. the diversity is almost humorous. for themost part though people who know personally know usually dont even notice that you have dreads. but as u said about going to interviews or entering ionto another school first impressions are usually a little awkward as to are they looking at me or my hair. lol. but my son has dreads and his pediatricians office is awesome cuz they just love his little personality and everytime you go somewhere atleast you know you will be remembered. i still have people who just call me dreads cuz thats how the remember me. its hilarious who knew hair could be so defining
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
7 years ago
39 posts
When I go out by myself I always get double takes, so I'm always really worried about whether or not I will be taken seriously when I have to go out with my daughter, but I find that when I have her with me I get much more positive responses. She doesn't even have any hair.. but we laugh and giggle and coo at each other all over the place, and I really think that people see that more.It is really unfortunate that most elders who are supposed to be our teachers are so closed minded and mean. The younger generations are much more open and loving, and I hate to say it, but our old will not be here for much longer.. and with them will go old stagnant ideas of how society should be. There are many changes coming about and I think more people are looking others in the eyes and feeling their vibes whether they realize it or not!
D!
@d
7 years ago
44 posts
I'd guess some of the double takes are because you're a beautiful woman with awesome style but I guess it could be because a lot of people are squares instead of spirals.

Karma Jane said:
When I go out by myself I always get double takes, so I'm always really worried about whether or not I will be taken seriously when I have to go out with my daughter, but I find that when I have her with me I get much more positive responses. She doesn't even have any hair.. but we laugh and giggle and coo at each other all over the place, and I really think that people see that more.It is really unfortunate that most elders who are supposed to be our teachers are so closed minded and mean. The younger generations are much more open and loving, and I hate to say it, but our old will not be here for much longer.. and with them will go old stagnant ideas of how society should be. There are many changes coming about and I think more people are looking others in the eyes and feeling their vibes whether they realize it or not!
Amazing Grace
@amazing-grace
6 years ago
14 posts
I usually only get stares from old people and little kids. My mother doesnt have dreads, she actually hates them. Theres 3 children in our family i have an older brother and older sister (10-12 years older than me) and my brother and I both have dreads. It driiives my mom nuts. Plus our sister is a little hippie chick too but she isnt into the whole dread thing. Our dad dosn't like them and whenever somethig unfortuanate happens he always says "So wheres the power in your dreads now? What are they doing to help you?" We're just like dude...that has nothing to do with what just happened...Thats bad but he dosn't stoop as low as my mother. She uninvites me and my brother from Christmas and all other family gatherings. Our family has a few doctors in it and the elders are all well off prim and proper white folk. So, she makes this huge deal about how shes so embarressed and all that jazz....We still go to family things. My brother an I know that they may or may not like our dreads but thats not whats important to them. They are just happy to see us from time to time and happy that we are healthy enough to be there but my mother just wont accept that.....She gets really hardcore and says some hurtful stuff to us sometimes. One year I got fed up with it and i wore one of my old grateful dead tye dyes to christmas dinner (with all the doctors)...of course i did have a very pretty skirt and a pretty velvet vest over it. They all liked it and said it was very festive. My mother could have killed me.My dad dosnt take it that far and he's one of those real old school rednecks that farmed the backie fields his entire life. Wake up at 4..work in field...go to school..work in field...an do it all over again....It's rough sometimes when my mom starts busting out tears an tries to make us fee bad...i wish she would just accept that Jesus dosnt care about my hair. but it dosnt look like that is gunna happen
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
27,190 posts
hugswelli can tell u when she sees someone she looks up to or respects admitre yuir dreads or lifestyle ot may make her think twice about her artitudemine was like that too for 15 years till she saw conservative old lasdies all raving about how much they loved my dreads.. havent hears a negative word sinceas it is they think dresds are a bad reflection on them how can they lrt theyre gids grow up to be ..bums..druggies.. all the negative stereotypes.. but when they see you admorred and respected thet have to realize thety did ok raisimng a unique special personhugswow i see a lotta typos i hope yoir decoder ring worksGrace said:
I usually only get stares from old people and little kids. My mother doesnt have dreads, she actually hates them. Theres 3 children in our family i have an older brother and older sister (10-12 years older than me) and my brother and I both have dreads. It driiives my mom nuts. Plus our sister is a little hippie chick too but she isnt into the whole dread thing. Our dad dosn't like them and whenever somethig unfortuanate happens he always says "So wheres the power in your dreads now? What are they doing to help you?" We're just like dude...that has nothing to do with what just happened...

Thats bad but he dosn't stoop as low as my mother. She uninvites me and my brother from Christmas and all other family gatherings. Our family has a few doctors in it and the elders are all well off prim and proper white folk. So, she makes this huge deal about how shes so embarressed and all that jazz....We still go to family things. My brother an I know that they may or may not like our dreads but thats not whats important to them. They are just happy to see us from time to time and happy that we are healthy enough to be there but my mother just wont accept that.....

She gets really hardcore and says some hurtful stuff to us sometimes. One year I got fed up with it and i wore one of my old grateful dead tye dyes to christmas dinner (with all the doctors)...of course i did have a very pretty skirt and a pretty velvet vest over it. They all liked it and said it was very festive. My mother could have killed me.

My dad dosnt take it that far and he's one of those real old school rednecks that farmed the backie fields his entire life. Wake up at 4..work in field...go to school..work in field...an do it all over again....

It's rough sometimes when my mom starts busting out tears an tries to make us fee bad...i wish she would just accept that Jesus dosnt care about my hair. but it dosnt look like that is gunna happen



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Abuse counselor at:
Expose The Abuse (coming soon)
supahCmami
@supahcmami
6 years ago
4 posts
I haven't gotten anything but respect when i'm with my daughter...although i have one intolerant friend (friendship is a give and take right? he gives me other things...i accept his occasional intolerance - sometimes) who assumes I'm going to dread my daughters hair.ummm sure I'll dread her hair...if she wants me to!I braided her hair and unbraided it and left it loose without combing it (she's has baby fro), if thats any indication how she'd look locked...its MADD cute!
Alicia
@alicia
6 years ago
68 posts
Hmm..well my hair is still new to this and is in the "are those dreads or does your hair just need a brush?" stage..but so far I feel the same as some of the other girls said..I feel like people are more accepting when I have my son with me. Maybe it's because people just can't resist a smiley baby. I don't know. Also..I find that most people in Fairbanks are laid back and pretty open to anything.
MiDread
@midread
6 years ago
187 posts
My son's school is VERY conservative. They regulate, jewelry, hair length, they wear uniforms, etc. I have noticed some looks, but not much yet. A lot of the parents are much younger than me, so I have seen some styles on them that have made ME look twice LOL! The advantage I have is that my son is going into the 7th grade next year, so he has been at the school a long time and the staff and most of the other parents know me already. They know I don't play and they know what kind of parent I am. It will be interesting with my youngest starting at the same school next year to see how the "newbie" parents accept me. Where I HAVE seen issues is in the next town over. Very conservative "tourist" town. I was in the book store with my kids and I swear one of the women in there practically stared me out the door!!! I don't even have a full set of mature dreads yet! Can't wait for all the hostility coming my way in the future!!! :)
Amazing Grace
@amazing-grace
6 years ago
14 posts
oh man, Ive gotten into my "hippie" rampages as they so say about how they hell can they raise their kids to be unique and be yourself and when we are you dont want us to come o Christmas? I am a good person and I know it. I'm in college, I get good grades, I dont do drugs, Idont drink anymore and when I do, i dont drive. I dont lie or cheat or steal. I dont get in trouble with the law. I go to church. My fiance and I just bought a house. What more could you ask for? Isn't that what is important?No of course not. I need to wear more make-up and brush my hair, and wear nicer shoes and stop lookin like a hippy bum. thats just so ignorant.but that's alright. I know there isnt anything wronge with my hair and that's all that matters. It just sucks when we got to listen to it over and over and over and over again. My hair dosnt make me and lesser of a good person and that is final. :)soaringeagle said:
hugs
well
i can tell u when she sees someone she looks up to or respects admitre yuir dreads or lifestyle ot may make her think twice about her artitude
mine was like that too for 15 years till she saw conservative old lasdies all raving about how much they loved my dreads.. havent hears a negative word since
as it is they think dresds are a bad reflection on them how can they lrt theyre gids grow up to be ..bums..druggies.. all the negative stereotypes.. but when they see you admorred and respected thet have to realize thety did ok raisimng a unique special person

hugs
wow i see a lotta typos i hope yoir decoder ring works

Grace said:
I usually only get stares from old people and little kids. My mother doesnt have dreads, she actually hates them. Theres 3 children in our family i have an older brother and older sister (10-12 years older than me) and my brother and I both have dreads. It driiives my mom nuts. Plus our sister is a little hippie chick too but she isnt into the whole dread thing. Our dad dosn't like them and whenever somethig unfortuanate happens he always says "So wheres the power in your dreads now? What are they doing to help you?" We're just like dude...that has nothing to do with what just happened...

Thats bad but he dosn't stoop as low as my mother. She uninvites me and my brother from Christmas and all other family gatherings. Our family has a few doctors in it and the elders are all well off prim and proper white folk. So, she makes this huge deal about how shes so embarressed and all that jazz....We still go to family things. My brother an I know that they may or may not like our dreads but thats not whats important to them. They are just happy to see us from time to time and happy that we are healthy enough to be there but my mother just wont accept that.....

She gets really hardcore and says some hurtful stuff to us sometimes. One year I got fed up with it and i wore one of my old grateful dead tye dyes to christmas dinner (with all the doctors)...of course i did have a very pretty skirt and a pretty velvet vest over it. They all liked it and said it was very festive. My mother could have killed me.

My dad dosnt take it that far and he's one of those real old school rednecks that farmed the backie fields his entire life. Wake up at 4..work in field...go to school..work in field...an do it all over again....

It's rough sometimes when my mom starts busting out tears an tries to make us fee bad...i wish she would just accept that Jesus dosnt care about my hair. but it dosnt look like that is gunna happen

updated by @amazing-grace: 07/22/15 12:18:42PM
 
 / 5
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form