Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Will my basic hair/scalp issues make dreading that much harder?

Athena G
@athena-g
13 years ago
12 posts

Hello. I am new here, so I apologize if these questions have been addressed already.

I am debating starting (natural) dreads but have a concern with my hair.

My hair/scalp is naturally oily. To the point that if I don't wash it at least every other day it looks terribly greasy. If the natural method is used, can I still wash my hair as often as I would when NOT trying to dread? I've seen sites that say to not wash hair for a week after dreading, but that is with the backcombing method and wax being used (ew...)

As of right now may hair is about 20 inches long, very thick ,and slightly wavy in texture.

Is there anything (like a special shampoo) you guys recommend for combating oily build-up?

Any help/advice is appreciated. :)

updated by @athena-g: 01/13/15 09:07:46PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

oil productions tru=iiggered by 2 factors

1 stripping oils

2 acidity beyond the 5.0-5.5 range

so the ket to reducing oiliness is

slowly reduce your washing

wash with bakig soda and sea salt

wash 1 day adfter u gwet oily till u can go 4 or so days withoit being oily

add tyme tea or oil to the wash

wash hot to remove oils rinse freezing cold to seal up pores and cut off oil production

as u wash less u get less oily

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Athena G
@athena-g
13 years ago
12 posts

Thanks for the tips SE! I will definitely try all of them to see what works best.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

most ppl see the hair get less and less oily and by a few weeks to a month not really be oily at all anymore

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
13 years ago
362 posts

Personally I would look into other methods if your oily scalp is that much of a concern. I have always (and still do) wash my hair every two to three days (mostly to maintain the fluffy/clean look of my bangs... but also for scalp comfort) and my twist and rip dreads have not only survived but thrived. My backcombed lock has done just as well (possibly better). I can't say much for the natural dread on my head, as it was pretty well formed once it was seperated from it's partner.

Athena G
@athena-g
13 years ago
12 posts

:D

That would be awesome!

I have noticed a difference when washing my hair in hot and rinsing it with ice cold water. Definitely gonna try using the baking soda, sea salt, and thyme oil/tea!

Thanks again for being so helpful!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

keep us posted but alotta ppl have reported a drastic reduction in oiliness

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form