Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Did Dr. Bronner's Undo My One Month Neglect Progress?

Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts

One month into neglect (two days ago was my anniversary!! w00 h00!), I started noticing a white slimey residue on my scalp while using the Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar wash.Recently, I had stopped scrubbing my scalp while in the shower since SE told me that scrubbing was unnecessary and may undo separation considering that my hair is so short (approx 4 inches). Once I started noticing the residue on my scalp, I posted a thread about what to do. I got many recommendations and went with Dr. Bronner's two days ago to clean my scalp of the baking soda residue.

Today, I used the Dr. Bronner's for the first time. I diluted the Dr. Bronner's 12:1 (1/4 cup of Dr. Bronner's in a gallon of distilled water). I poured the solution over my wet hair and scrubbed my scalp with my fingers really well to loosen up some of that old baking soda residue. I then rinsed with cold water really well.

When I got of the shower today, I allowed my hair to air dry (which I've been doing for the past month). When my hair was completely dry I noticed that all the sectioning that I had attained this past month is now gone!!!

I'm so disappointed! I'm feeling very frustrated that the progress I made this month is now gone. I'm not sure if Dr. Bronner's was the cause of the undoing of the sectioning or if it was the scrubbing. Any ideas on how to move forward with washing? Are these issues because my hair is so short or because I scrubbed or because I used Dr. Bronner's? :( -Marcus

updated by @marcus-acosta: 02/14/15 11:46:04AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

baking soda cannot leave residues i keep telling ppl that the white paste is dead exhfoliated skin paste u just need a higher pressure rinse tio remove it like a massage shower head handheld rything or dumping a larger volume of water ver your head

im betting its a combo of he scrubbing and length

baking soda in water has the exact consistencxy of water

it runs riight through

i could put a whole box in a gallon and pour it throughy and rinse it out like nothing

but as it sits on the scalp it takes off the outter layer of dead skin turning it into that paste

that paste will rinse away clean but u need a lil pressure not just a light trickle

if the shower heads too high and too light pressure try the tub faucet on full power

think about it..that paste is only on the scalp not in the dreads.. where would residue be stuck? onthe scalp where its easy to rinse or in the dread where its not..its just the scin thats exfoliated

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

maxe you are wrong baking soda breaks down in cold water leaving no residue whatsoever it creates a dead skin paste

baking soda when u add to any temp wwater breaks down into gasses

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

alco water is nutral 7.0 the scale is based on the nutrality of water

7.0 being dead center on the scale

anything that alters the nutrality of water is due to an additive or impurity

--
Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts
I tasted it also (don't judge me lol) and it tasted yeasty so I thought it was the baking soda. It was gross and I'd rather not have that residue in my hair. Now that I washed my hair with Dr. Bronner's yesterday though all my separation is now gone :-(
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,639 posts

also if it was baking soda what wouldhappen when u do acv rince? foam heat and backing soda would no lonfer be baking soda

it chemicaly reacts with the acv if it was baking soda u would know it as your head gets hot and foam erups off your scalp

if my scalps in bad shape i feel that paste as the dead skins lifted off

if its in real bad shape i use more..not less and leave it on longer and all the dewsd skins removed

a high pressure rinse will take that paste away

--
Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts
@Maxe, you just use water and oils? Can you give me specific information on what to do so I can wash my hair this way on Wednesday? lol thanks! :-)
calipark
@calipark
13 years ago
54 posts
With your hair at that length, anything other than plain baking soda and water can impede progress. So can wearing tight hats, wind, etc. One important event that influenced me to discontinue my journey was when I was on a date with a girl that had the passenger window in her car wide open. I lost a lot of progress and only on one side of my head. It sucked.

I had that same experience with my hair at that length. It was very nervewracking! I'd experiment with shampoos (thanks to BS mud) and see weeks of progress just disappear.

Take it easy and don't worry about it too much - it will take a long time. There's really no room for disappointment with dreads.

Oh and Dr. Bronnar's was horrible for me with my water type. Just horrible. It didn't matter what I diluted it with...

The unfortunate part about using Baking Soda with my water type, was that I inevitably got residue like Maxx and resorted to high pressure rinses to rinse it out. Of course that destroyed my progress yet again, cause my hair wasn't long enough. That's why I'm using Prell Classic now.

GL bro hang in there.
Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts
Hey Calipark, is Prell Classic residue-free? Can you send me a link on Amazon to it? I'm seeing alot of different search results.
calipark
@calipark
13 years ago
54 posts

It's technically a clarifying shampoo so yeah, and it shouldn't be used more than every 3 days or so I recommend, cause it strips a lot of natural oils which can *in theory* increase oil production. You just gotta rinse it real well, it works very very well, prolly cause it has some form of solvent, at least it seems like it. Eyeheartchrist (look him up here and youtube) used that and alternated between burts bees and his dreads turned out amazing. It rinses easier if you dilute it. Baking soda seemed to help my sectioning more but it's hard to say if that was the baking soda clumping it up.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=prell+classic&um=1&amp...

I got it at the local grocery store.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form