Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread beads cause stinky dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
just took out all my beads except the coili had been noticing a mustly moldy smell for a few weeksi bought the knotty and nice dread rot cure ..it did nothing )(now i know why it might not have been the fault of the product)today i was sniffing my dreads noticing no smell at all except the dreads right by my noseon a hunch i moved the big glass bead an inch and wham was hit in the face by a nasty stench strong as hellin a panick i pulled out every beadthen washed strong baking soda extra oils followed by bronners followed by every last drop of vinager i had followed by mayleessand blow dry i still smell it some but now that i know the cause i hopefully can deal with itno funbe careful with big beads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 08:46:58PM
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
14 years ago
155 posts
That kind of sucks SE but atleast you fixed the smell. for people that don't know tho, its because if a bead is on a dread and you wash your hair, its possible that the hair inside the bead will trap soap and water and will dry slow because it is not exposed to the air= mold and stink. This also happens with wraps too.
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I take my beads out when I wash and wait till dry before putting them back in. Mainly it's a precaution because I have wooden beads and I know if they get wet they might splinter and swell, but also because I assumed that they would make mildew if I didn't move them around to let my hair dry.
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
Yes orange oil in the body splash is well known for being pretty potent against yeast, molds and fungus. It's a very useful natural cleaning substance! I love using it around the house myself, not the body splash but orange oil specifically. It's great for so many things and smells like oranges!

rawsum said:
/we thinks alot alike tatyananashi.. I too de bling before each wash.. though for me it was because I haev been doing the bodysplash ... but with this new info I will continue the pre-wash de bling.. another great tip SE .. thanks !

on a side note SE you do have another tool to get rid of the odor and even prevent it .. bodysplash has oils in it that can curb the yeasts of mold etc.. it's in your hands.. so give it a go and let us know ;)

tatyananashi said:
I take my beads out when I wash and wait till dry before putting them back in. Mainly it's a precaution because I have wooden beads and I know if they get wet they might splinter and swell, but also because I assumed that they would make mildew if I didn't move them around to let my hair dry.
Julie Ellis
@julie-ellis
14 years ago
76 posts
great info ppl, especially the new word i've never heard, de-bling haha, i don't know why but it makes lol
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
hmmm I never take any beads out and have not had any smell at all.... I have a lot of pretty large glass and clay beads...Although I only wash/get my hair wet once a week so it has plenty of time to dry completely even with the beads.
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
this is why i asked a couple weeks ago about beads and wraps.i only have one bead right now, and i always remove it when i wash my hair and wait for my hair to dry before i replace it.also, if you think about it, the Sun is an amazing cure and can kill most bacteria - but if a portion of your hair is always covered, it aint gettin any of that good ole SunShine down inside...some bead materials may be better than others, as well.wood probably retains moisture and makes it more difficult to dry that portion of hair, you know?well, bless, and i hope it clears up for you :) thanks for posting about this issue
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
I am glad that I don't use bead or hair wraps. Good information though. I will be sure to pass on the information to others if asked about it.
Kellye
@kellye
14 years ago
91 posts
yea thats why i take my wraps out every month and put them on another dread later. the only big bead i have i try to wiggle it around :)... i should probaly take out a few wrap now.... not sure how long its been in anymore....
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form