Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Being a dready vegetarian :P

hippielove
@hippielove
12 years ago
1 posts

Our society places way too much importance on food. Food is just something to give you energy and keep you going throughout the day. you shouldn't hurt a living, feeling soul just for your tastes. the only things that are important are to get are carbs, protein, and vitamins. all you need to eat are seeds, nut, fruits, and veggies, and you can live and be extraordinarily healthy off of that. just don't think about food and when you are hungry, grab a couple handful of nuts/seeds of your choice and make yourself a giant salad and i bet you will lose weight, save tons of lives of innocent animals, be free from harmful chemicals put in processed foods, and feel great. (I am a vegan and have been for 3 years, and have been vegetarian since I was a little kid)

updated by @hippielove: 07/23/15 02:57:46AM
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

Sorry to be that girl but chicken is poultry, and does not fall under every definition of meat. Also, there are are different types of vegetarians and some eat fish while others abstain from all sorts. Thanks though. I mean, instead of saying, "yeah, sure, I've got something for you!" you're all "Sorry but you're not a vegetarian if you eat chicken."..........

Timmy Carlsen said:

sorry to be that guy but if u occasionally eat meat ur NOT a vegetarian dont call yourself one. ive been a vegetarian for a long time. since i started calling myself a vegetarian i havent eaten any meet or ever "cheated". accidentally eating meat is one thing but but doing it intentionally is a completely different story.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

No problem, Baba Fats! The chickens are still treated quite inhumanely, although I will probably buy mine from the farmers.... [at least my husband and son still eat meat] They are still treated like crap and given abx, but the USDA does prohibit the use of hormones in all poultry like I said, so that's one little bitty good thing. It's good to know your food before you eat it, whether it be animal or vegetation.... :)

Baba Fats said:

Thanks Heaven. I would never have thought to look up the USDA's ruling on hormones in chickens.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets/chicken_from_farm_to_table/ind...

I'm with Eagle on this one. I make stir-fry almost every other day. I make huge portions that it can last me for 3 meals. Sometimes I through it on top of pasta, but more often than not, I use a brown rice.

1 package of seitan

1 or 2 bell peppers

10 or so Shitake mushrooms

half an onion, 1jalapeno

2 gloves garlic

a little ginger

1 can of chunk pineapple (I put it on almost everything)

1/2 to 1 jar of Korma or Curry depending on my mood or consistency preference.

I haven't gotten around to making my own curry paste because I can't get myself to break yogurt. It creeps me out that I'd have to heat it up. I know it'd be safe. I am just overly cautious about my food. I worked in a kitchen for years. I know what goes on back there.

I've got my own spiritual reasons for not eating meat. So I've found that this works for me.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, does eat meat, so I find myself spending a little extra time in the kitchen cooking because I have to cook for her and me. Most of the time she'll just use my stir fry and pick around the seitan and cut up her chicken and use that as herproteinin it

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I get that there are many different types of vegetarians, but really, I consider it meat if it was once alive and had flesh. That includes all animals. If there's a type of vegge for people who eat fish but not chicken or chicken but not fish etc... why isn't there a type for ones who eat, say, groundhogs, but no other type of meat? are groundhogs red or white meat? Does it matter for thedefinition? That's my issue with people still calling themselves vegetarians but do eat meat.

Do I really care? No. Do I take offense and want to tell them they are wrong? No. It's just my opinion, and why I won't eat any type of animal until I learn to hunt them for myself

Trina Sandress
@trina-sandress
12 years ago
87 posts

I am vegan and most of my calories come from fruit. If you want to incorporate more veggies in your diet you can try making green smoothies. Just add greens like collards,spinach,or kale to some oranges,bananas,and some berries and blend them up . It taste really sweet and yummy and much cheaper than buying those smoothies at the juice bars or the juices I like are Naked juice Green Machine, and Berry Blast. Smoothies are a great way to get lots of greens in your body. You can also try juicing too if you have a juicer.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

I get that I just don't like being jumped on... lol:)

Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

I eat meat, mostly from a local farm where the chickens and cows are pastured and obviously grassfed and organic. The "label" pastured is better then free range.. Technically free range doesn't mean much unfortunately. :( But I am always looking for more ways/recipes to get more veggies into our diet! So I am following this discussion! :)

Ahimsa Yogi
@ahimsa-yogi
12 years ago
2 posts

Not to get all technical ...but chickens are not vegetables. General rule = if it poops and has eyeballs it's not a vegetable. HOWEVER...I totally support any changes a person makes to reduce meat consumption. I love this blog:

www.organikook.com (all vegan and family friendly) Also any cookbooks by Sarah Kramer are easy and awesome vegan (I have found them pretty cheap online or at half price books). Also www.yourveganmom.com , vegan yum yum, I know they are all vegan resources (I'm vegan), but I thinkt hey are really great and worth a look!

Best of luck on your journey!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

not only are chickens njoyt vegatables but chickens are slaughtered by the millions a minute hundreds or even thousands of times mor chickens die a day then any other animakls for meat and they are kept in deplorable conditions

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ahimsa Yogi
@ahimsa-yogi
12 years ago
2 posts

I totally agree Eagle...I think chickens are probably the most abused farm animal on the planet (next to dairy cows). Chickens are also exempt from the Humane Slaughter Act...meaning it is not required to render them unconscious before bleeding them/dismembering them. And "free range" means nothing and they are slaughtered the same way.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form