Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

People Freaking Out Over My Decision To Dread!

Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

So I recently put out in the open with my family that I'm dreading my hair... This morning my FaceBook inbox is filled with hate-mail from family members!

My older cousin says: "I saw your post about what you're gonna do to your hair and I know the real reason you're doing this, and it aint for anything good! You've always tried to be the center of attention, but this is over the top! I'm sick of everyone saying that you're weird in a good way cause you aint! This will not make you special, just another nasty freak but that's what you've always been! Don't think you're gonna come to my house this thanksgiving with your liberal hippie shit in my face cause me and David aint having it here! We're sick of you always trying to force your views on everyone by dressing like a freak and trying to be cool! Don't have nasty freak hair or you aint welcome in my house anymore and I won't change my mind! Change your mind about this whole dreads thing before it's too late!"

*Note that these are the words of a 44-year-old woman who calls herself a professional and makes over $100,000.00 a year as a low-level executive at a major insurance company... Unbelievable...! The fact that I now know, for certain, the extent to which she is a raging c*nt, somehow I don't feel hurt by her threatening to never allow me into her house. I sent her reply, telling her that I forgive her for being such a shallow, narrow-minded, hostile person and that despite her horrible message, she will always be my cousin. Since then she has blocked me on FB. Boo-fucking-hoo...! LOL

My mother says: "Not that it's any of my business, but you really need to rethink what you want to do with your hair. You have such beautiful hair and I would hate to see you ruin it. I don't want to see you being ostracized by people too. I know you're going to do what you want to do, but I can't say that I approve of this. I hope you'll change your mind."

*As if I need her (or anyone else's) approval... My poor mother has too much time on her hands. She's upset, but she'll get over it. ;)

One person even sent a message to my husband's inbox, begging him to stop me! He called the person on the phone and told them that I'm not his property and that he fully supports my decision and that they are welcome to fuck-off! I LOVE THAT MAN!!!

Answer me this, dready peeps... What's the worst thing anyone ever said to you about your dread? What were some of the adverse reactions you got from friends and family? Who has stood up for you? How have you stood up for yourself?

updated by @michelle-d-ransdell: 01/13/15 10:01:51PM
taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

My brother says that I have dead animals on my head lol. I only see him for a week during the holidays each year. He makes comments about people staring at me all the time that we are out in public Christmas shopping.

I have an aunt that threatens to cut my hair. She laughs when she says it...but I wouldn't spend the night at her house....just in case.

Other than that...I only get positive remarks. I actually get complements a lot. I have had many many strangers come up to me to tell me how much they love my hair...or how beautiful they think it is. Strangers never approached me about my hair pre-dreads lol. So don't worry about those negative responses, You will receive lots of complements too!! Just wait and see.

Your cousin has some issues. Her thoughts and opinions are hers. She has a right to them. Her opinions are not your business nor your responsibility. The only way they can effect you is if you let them. Do you really enjoy being in such a negative environment on Thanksgiving? Spend your day of thanks in a good, warm and loving place !!!

Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

Honestly, most of my family disdains my older cousin because she's a jackass. I secretly always wanted an excuse to not attend her pretentious Thanksgiving dinners any more. She provided me with the perfect excuse, in my opinion. I have a feeling that many people will be ditching her this year because of her behavior towards me and my husband. I do, in fact, have some family members who are looking forward to learning more about the dreading process.

taye said:

My brother says that I have dead animals on my head lol. I only see him for a week during the holidays each year. He makes comments about people staring at me all the time that we are out in public Christmas shopping.

I have an aunt that threatens to cut my hair. She laughs when she says it...but I wouldn't spend the night at her house....just in case.

Other than that...I only get positive remarks. I actually get complements a lot. I have had many many strangers come up to me to tell me how much they love my hair...or how beautiful they think it is. Strangers never approached me about my hair pre-dreads lol. So don't worry about those negative responses, You will receive lots of complements too!! Just wait and see.

Your cousin has some issues. Her thoughts and opinions are hers. She has a right to them. Her opinions are not your business nor your responsibility. The only way they can effect you is if you let them. Do you really enjoy being in such a negative environment on Thanksgiving? Spend your day of thanks in a good, warm and loving place !!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts
Sounds to me like your cousins the one trying to forc conservative values on you..lemphasis on forceJust say..lgood riddenceThe last thing you need s nasty people in your life

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

You're right about that! She's very intolerant and zealous. She's nasty-whasty and I avoid her... More so now than ever. All that crap she said has only reinforced my decision... When we express ourselves fully via our clothing or hair, it really does help us to find out who our true friends are. As Dr. Seuss said: Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter. ;)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form