dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Suggestions for Styling Dreads

Emily Aytes
@emily-aytes
11 years ago
4 posts

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions or ideas for styling dreads. My locks are currently around 4 months old and I work a professional, yet laid back job, but I am tired of just throwing my locks back into a ponytail. If anyone has any sweet styling ideas, let me know! Much love!

updated by @emily-aytes: 01/13/15 09:52:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

depends on how long they are

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Emily Aytes
@emily-aytes
11 years ago
4 posts

currently, length varies. i have some little guys, then i have some that are much longer. generally, they are to my shoulders. i've been getting really good at doing up-dos but i just wanted to know if there were any other ideas out there! i'll post a pic later!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

One idea is to use a necklace that has the black rope and some kind of charm or pendant or shell or whatever on it. Just wrap it around the hair and put the charm through the rope. It holds in place due to the texture of the rope and the charm decorates the hair. This is great to use because the hair is not tied tightly, it is actually nice and loose, but as I said, stays in place. You can also use decorative shoe laces to loosely tie and finish off with a pretty bow.

Do you know someone who knits?? Instead of a tam, my mom made me a really wide bun holder and fed yarn around the edge of it so I could tie it closed. Put your hair in this and then tie it closed, You can get these made in different colors to go with your outfit, I just had brown for my brunette hair.

You can even use a plain shoe lace tied loosely, and then use a beautiful lightweight scarf to wrap around that. If you go to a local thrift store you can find many. The one we have near my town sells them for $1 and must have at least 30 on hand at a time. So you can match them up to your wardrobe for work.

Just look around your house and see what you think might be cool to use, and or professional too.

Emily Aytes
@emily-aytes
11 years ago
4 posts

thanks the Barrellady , those are great ideas!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You're welcome, let your imagination run wild.

Emily Aytes said:

thanks the Barrellady , those are great ideas!

CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

personally i love fish tail braiding my locs, it looks sweet and if you do it when your locs are almost dry after a wash it gives them some awesome texture :)

B likes Tea
@b-likes-tea
11 years ago
21 posts

I've recently started doing a low french fishtail braid into a pony -starting the braid slightly above my ears and stopping at the nape of my neck, and I think it looks pretty! Also, just taking random dreads and tying together looks nice too! Just keep tying until you have no more to tie, and tuck in the ends!

Emily Aytes
@emily-aytes
11 years ago
4 posts

you guys rock! thank you! so glad i joined this community! :D

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form