Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

It is possible for me to get these dreadlocks??

Vo
@vo
11 years ago
2 posts

Hello before I ask questions I'd like to thank everyone for the amazing posts that I have been reading for quite sometime,(since I have been interested in getting dreads). I love this community and I have read many posts on how to make dreads but I have a few questions.

I would like to make my dreads myself and maybe have a friend for the back if I can't get it. I would like to have a few opinions on my hair and if anyone knows if the hairstyle that I want isachievableor if maybe another one looks better for me. My hair is roughly 8+inches in the front and about 12inches in the back. If I need to I can go to a salon, I have no problem with paying a few hundred dollars for my hair to look the way I want, I just really don't want to sit 5+hrs with a stranger talking about my or theirs life story, lol. I have been to a few barbershops and salons that said this hairstyle in unachievablebut I like to keep my head up, they were all African American salons that maybe only specialize with one hair type(I didn't ask). Please kindly let me know what youthinkI can do with my hair, I am trying to go for a clean look and small dreads(maybe about 100) and I will probably not let them ever grow longer than my shoulders. The bottom picture is exactly what Iwouldlove my hair to look like, I think it looks tough, clean, smart, playful, happy, and everything else positive in one hairstyle.

updated by @vo: 01/13/15 09:44:39PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

a salon couldnt do that cause those are real dreads natural dreads a salons the biggest mistake u can make

you can just let it dread and seperate alot to keep them thin

but

you shouldnt try to acheive dreads like anyone elses you never will they will always be unique to you so let them dread the way they want to dread so then a year from now someone says can i get dreads like yours you can say no but u can get dreads like yours

u see how in the pic every single dread on his heads different? so should every head of dreads be..unique and with original personality ..let yoir dreads be yours..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

there are a billion things that go into how your dreads form, it makes it nearly impossible to replicate any other set, even getting two dreads on the same head, being treated the same, made of the same hair to get to look like each other is an impossible task unless you constantly do damagingmaintenance which would sacrifice the health & length of life for your dreads.

I agree that looks like a lovely set, but focus on how your hair can form it's own beauty instead of trying to get a certain look that will be unachievable. Those dreads look like his hair may have been curly before, you will get curls & loops & bumps, but probably very different results from his since your hair is very straight to start.

You can have small locks whichever method you go, just if you use a starter method start them smaller, if you use natural separate them more often. Your dreads being clean isn't about how they look, it's that you wash them. So keep them clean, keep your scalp happy & they will come along. If you are worried about them looking messy, maybe dreads aren't for you at this time, all methods require mess & forming & it's not something you can control, you just sit back & let it happen, accept it & learn to love the process.

Skip the salon, most rip you off & do the worst methods for your locks. If you plan to do it, you can do it at home for free & have much better results!

James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

From the looks of your hair I bet your sections will be fairly small. It would take a long time for your heair to dread because it looks rather fine but it is definetly possible. If you don't wash for a few days it will section itself, but that doesn't mean you should never wash your hair. Start washing every two, three or four days (I recommend Baking Soda along with an Apple Cider vinegar rinse + tea tree oil) to make your hair less oily over time. Im going the fully natural method on my bangs where my hair is finer and the sections that formed were rather small.

Vo
@vo
11 years ago
2 posts

I would like to make my dreads with the rip and twist method(or please suggest others) and a crochet hook, but if neglect method is necessary to get the look I am looking for then i'll do it. Please be specific and detailed with themethodthat will work for me. I do have thin/fine hair and it falls out alot if I brush it but I don't lol. I just wake up and but it in a ponytail but I would love to get these locks over anything else. Iappreciateall the comments and am looking forward to your replies, thanks.

James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

i wouldn't crochet if I were you. Twist and rip is alright to start em out with, but you gotta make sure that you're okay with em being messy because they WILL unravel a bit after your first wash. Considering how you have straighter hair T&R should be a good starter method. Its practically like braiding your hair into knots.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I don't think the dreads in the pic would even look like that anymore, obviously, depending on how old the photo is. But they don't look fully mature yet. I think what you want will cause you alot of stress because it is impossible for your dreads to look like some one elses dreads. Its like asking, "can you make that maple tree look like that oak tree".

peace and blessings.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form