Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I have a job interview, and I have no idea what to do with this.

notevenkinda
@notevenkinda
10 years ago
4 posts

So, as it stands - my dreads are about 2-3 months old, depending on where on my skull you're looking. They were made with Twist n Rip, and they're quite loopy. They really like to do their own thing.

My problem is that tomorrow, I have a job interview for a fairly big-deal job (it pays 5 dollars more an hour that what I'm doing now). It's a large medical firm, and seems to be a corporate environment; I want to look nice, but I have NO idea what to do with my dread.

Due to all of the loops forming like crazy every day, they're compressed quite a lot. and Ive lost a lot of length because of it. I cant really pull them back all of the way, and I dont feel like a wrap or tam would really work out.

My current job, although corporate, doesn't care about hair, clothes, tats - whatever. But this possible job means a lot to me, and the future of my son & myself.

If anybody has any ideas that would be super awesome!

Here a picture of what I'm working with:

updated by @notevenkinda: 02/14/15 03:18:11AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

one of those cheapo headbands ui get at any drug storwe thats elastic and cloth covered but really u look fine as is the peircings id think would be a bigger deal then the dreads just go in like you have no idea you even have dreads nor that you have any odea why any job would care that you do

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
notevenkinda
@notevenkinda
10 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for the advice. I was kinda looking in the mirror earlier, and thinking about the same thing. I am so paranoid about job interviews. I get those jitters!

soaring eagle said:

one of those cheapo headbands ui get at any drug storwe thats elastic and cloth covered but really u look fine as is the peircings id think would be a bigger deal then the dreads just go in like you have no idea you even have dreads nor that you have any odea why any job would care that you do

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

i dontreally care for jobs or more specificly bosses so im always relaxed since id almost rather not get the jib lol unless its 1 i really really felt strongly about but even then i aproach the interview like im sure i already giot the job and ansdwer thier questions but also more interview them to see if the jiobs really right for me..not me right for it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts
I work in Healthcare at a hospital as Medical Scientist. So yes, I understand your predicament. As a mom you want to provide the best for your children. Truly there is very few industries that will provide good dependable wages & very low health insurance costs.In healthcare a neat and orderly appearance is associated with cleanliness and it is to be expected. That doesn't mean you can't have dreads. You just have to make sure they are clean and pulled back out of the way. Once they are past the "loopy" stage and they are maturing to normal cylindrical shape you can use Vicki's Lock Magic Karma Gel immediately after washing them & in between washes to tame the frizzes & fly aways. It helps them mature as well, but the biggest most immediate benefit I found was more cosmetic. Plus the Karma scent smells really good & since it is completely plant based it washes out very easily with no build up.As for what to use to pull them back, I've tried them all & I highly recommend Buff Wool Head Wraps. They look professional and you can fold them over in half they will cover past the top of your head. Plus the wool rubbing against the hair helps them dread up faster. Yes they are a little pricey but I feel they are as necessary as shoes for a healthcare professional with dreadlocks. If you can't source them locally in time for your interview find the widest most professional looking headband or plain bandana. You can order a few after you get the job.I imagine you won't be in the OR, LAB or such where you need to cover them up completely. For that I would look to tams or medical Bouffants. Cover up all the tats (use a foundational make-up if needed) and plug up the piercings with clear ones. Your interview & probationary period is NOT the time to push the envelope.Good Look & Blessings on your interview. Keep us posted!-StingRey http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/wool-buff-reg/styles/filter/original http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3
Sarahface
@sarah16
10 years ago
108 posts

I just wanted to post this, I found it a couple of months ago when I was job searching, and although I haven't actually tried it, It looks VERY nice. Not sure if it would work as well with shorter hair but it'd be worth looking into if you think it would help.

I didn't see it necessary to hide my dreads after a couple of interviews without anyone saying a word about my hair. I work in food service now and I just have it pulled up in a ponytail (Which i know you said they are too short to do yet) But another way to "tie" them up would be to pull up half if you can with a hairband, the top half maybe? But for the record, your baby dreads look gorgeous. :D

Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts
Wow! That's taking dreadlocks at work to a whole 'nother level! I would never go that far but you gotta admire her ingenuity. Just pull'em back with a hide headband & tie them up at the bottom like a ponytail. Just until your past your ninety days if you aren't required to wear a bouffant or surgical cap.Good Luck & Blessings!
Claire3
@claire3
10 years ago
36 posts

I think just a nice thick head band wrap like SE is talking about. You could use bobby pins to pin the rest if you'd like. I also agree if you can remove or hide the piercing for the initial interview. I think being nervous for a job interview is completely normal, but the truth is I believe the moment you both start talking you know almost RIGHT away whether you & the company are compatible. If it's working, feel free to interview her/him back- ask where they stand with individual freedom in regards to body art, hair, so on. If it's not an instant click, then try not to over think it too much-- there's a reason & something else will come along the way. Good vibes your way :)

notevenkinda
@notevenkinda
10 years ago
4 posts
Everyone - thank you for the encouragement and awesome suggestions! Totally scored the job, ended up with a thick headband and some sweet ingenuity! Happy happy day.
notevenkinda
@notevenkinda
10 years ago
4 posts
It's as customer service in an office. The piercings are obviously removable and not an issue, they're Ok about tats to a point, and I managed to score the job! Yes yes yes!

Sting.Rey said:
I work in Healthcare at a hospital as Medical Scientist. So yes, I understand your predicament. As a mom you want to provide the best for your children. Truly there is very few industries that will provide good dependable wages & very low health insurance costs.

In healthcare a neat and orderly appearance is associated with cleanliness and it is to be expected. That doesn't mean you can't have dreads. You just have to make sure they are clean and pulled back out of the way. Once they are past the "loopy" stage and they are maturing to normal cylindrical shape you can use Vicki's Lock Magic Karma Gel immediately after washing them & in between washes to tame the frizzes & fly aways. It helps them mature as well, but the biggest most immediate benefit I found was more cosmetic. Plus the Karma scent smells really good & since it is completely plant based it washes out very easily with no build up.

As for what to use to pull them back, I've tried them all & I highly recommend Buff Wool Head Wraps. They look professional and you can fold them over in half they will cover past the top of your head. Plus the wool rubbing against the hair helps them dread up faster. Yes they are a little pricey but I feel they are as necessary as shoes for a healthcare professional with dreadlocks. If you can't source them locally in time for your interview find the widest most professional looking headband or plain bandana. You can order a few after you get the job.

I imagine you won't be in the OR, LAB or such where you need to cover them up completely. For that I would look to tams or medical Bouffants. Cover up all the tats (use a foundational make-up if needed) and plug up the piercings with clear ones. Your interview & probationary period is NOT the time to push the envelope.

Good Look & Blessings on your interview. Keep us posted!
-StingRey

http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/wool-buff-reg/styles/filt...

http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form