Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The Dyeing of the Dreads! What Color Are Yours?

Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

How many folks on here have dreads that they keep dyed? What kind of dye do you use? Do you have it done at a salon or at home? I want to have a head full of colorful dreads someday and just wondering what dyeing techniques are best. Please feel free to post a photo of your dyed dreads!

updated by @michelle-d-ransdell: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

never dyed em never will i use wraps and peyote sleeves for color only

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

My natural hair color is dark brown, but for the last year I've been dyeing it black at the salon. After my hair dreads and locks up, I want to continue to dye, but with purple and teal on the under-layers and black still on the top and around my face.

Melony
@melony
10 years ago
45 posts

I've dyed my dreads a lot... and its a pain to keep up.
I never go to a salon, always done it myself or had a friend help.

Basically the same rules apply as dying regular hair.. except you can't use conditioner afterwards so regular hair dye tends to be more damaging to dreadlocks.

If you plan to just keep up on your roots it will be a much less tedious process.

If you want vibrant color in your hair you'll have to bleach first... then veggie dye works well for the color, and its actually good for your hair. but it does fade quickly.
You can also use the veggie dye over dark hair for subtle highlights... but again it fades so quickly, to me its hardly worth the mess. (and believe me there is a mess, the color stains everything lol)

Also, Baking Soda/ACV strips a lot of the color out of hair, so you may want to use mostly dr. bronners or dreadlock shampoo bars after you dye.

I've attached a few pics, the first pic my hair was dark blondish, and I bleached a few random dreads. Then I used Manic Panic veggie dye (2 canisters) in Vampire Red and the results are pic 2.
In pic 3 I dyed my hair brown, with a red intensifier... and then after it faded I used manic panics semi-permanent dye in a purple color with more of the red intensifier mixed in. The purple tint faded to brown really quickly though.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help :)

ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
10 years ago
122 posts

I love the Vampire Red. It's absolutely beautiful on you!

Melony said:

Basically the same rules apply as dying regular hair.. except you can't use conditioner afterwards so regular hair dye tends to be more damaging to dreadlocks.

If you plan to just keep up on your roots it will be a much less tedious process.

If you want vibrant color in your hair you'll have to bleach first... then veggie dye works well for the color, and its actually good for your hair. but it does fade quickly.
You can also use the veggie dye over dark hair for subtle highlights... but again it fades so quickly, to me its hardly worth the mess. (and believe me there is a mess, the color stains everything lol)

Also, Baking Soda/ACV strips a lot of the color out of hair, so you may want to use mostly dr. bronners or dreadlock shampoo bars after you dye.

I've attached a few pics, the first pic my hair was dark blondish, and I bleached a few random dreads. Then I used Manic Panic veggie dye (2 canisters) in Vampire Red and the results are pic 2.
In pic 3 I dyed my hair brown, with a red intensifier... and then after it faded I used manic panics semi-permanent dye in a purple color with more of the red intensifier mixed in. The purple tint faded to brown really quickly though.

Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

Since hair dye gets all over everything as the excess works its way out, perhaps this is the reason so many dread-heads love tie-dyed clothing--it's harder for people notice stains. LOL But thanks so much for the info!

Melony said:

SquidFase
@squidfase
10 years ago
24 posts

I haven't dyed mine yet, but I am planning on it! When my year mark hits on Feb 27th. =3 I will post some pictures when I do it.

samantha faye frock
@samantha-f
10 years ago
28 posts
I dyed and bleached my last set...as long as u rinse them for a ling ass time and make sure its all out there r no issues with it
interrstella
@interrstella
10 years ago
41 posts
So, I've been dying my hair for nearly a decade, even with my past dread locks I've never had an issue, color leaking is something that some dyes do anyway. You don't want to rub it in, just coat your babies, nothing is stuck in mine, it just what happens with the veggie dyes sometimes. Also, manic panic isn't the greatest. Some of the colors are great and vibrant but I prefer a brand called Special Effects. It's not usually sold at beauty stores
SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
10 years ago
58 posts
I have a whole tube of pravana left in purple so I may do semi permanent on one of the blonde ends I have, but I wouldn't bleach again. Ammonia is not good.
 / 2

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form