Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural is clearly the way to go

Nicholas Ballard
@nicholas-ballard
11 years ago
8 posts

the first time i decided to dread my hair i did a little Twist N Rip and after 2 weeks decided i didnt like it because i felt some sort of guilt for not letting my hair naturally section itself, especially because i wanted to do the dreads as a spiritual journey. i combed them out and decided to go natural process. after one month im finally getting sections of my hair that are beginning to dread and i totally understand why people choose naturally dreading as opposed to any other way. the day to day progress is amazing to watch and everytime i notice a new section dreading or a section tightening up i get so excited! the process is a journey of patience for me due to the fact that i would say patience is one of my biggest weaknesses. its also neat to see how fast its dreading, i have straight hair but its a little on the thicker side and its only 7-8 inches long. these little dreads have some crazy personality and i feel like each one of them is an extension of me and my being. im loving this mane of hair with its craziness also, like i said it just feels right, like this is how it all should be you know. this website has helped a lot especially with advice and the different testimonials of sorts. glad to finally be a part of this community. natural dreads all the way.

updated by @nicholas-ballard: 01/13/15 09:53:21PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Glad you found a method you liked, but why the guilty feeling? I did T&R and have no guilt, no shame, I only set myself back a step and am fine with that, I have had a wild journey and growing maturing dreadlocks. Don't pass on guilt to yourself unwarranted, not healthy to do. Sure, neglect is the best, T&R the next...peace

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Im exactly the same as you, I did tnr about a month ago now, but felt like I was missing out on the journey and cheating. After 3 weeks of it I decided to start over and like you, I cant believe how quick its going especially as my hair is so fine, straight and only about5 inches now. In the past my hair has never seemed to knot. I had very short hair for 7 years but before that it was fairly long and even then I rarely had to comb it. Its suprising how much difference a few small changes can make like the way you wash and dry your hair.

I totally agree that natural is the best way to go and wish you luck on your journey =]

Nicholas Ballard
@nicholas-ballard
11 years ago
8 posts

the guilt was in the fact that i looked to it as a spiritual journey and my hair as an extension of me, by doing the TnR i didnt allow my hair to express itself, i was forcing it to do something, thats all i meant by the guilt. and yea, my hair never tangled up at all Hannah, so to see that all of a sudden your hair is in matted tangles one morning is just mind blowing. i wish you luck on your dreading journey also :)

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Agree with you. Mine were started via backcombing, but since they all eventually came loose and then did their own thing, I conside backcombing as nothing more than sectioning. I combed out four of them a while back because the sections were really uncomfortable and unnatural, and let them do their own thing. It is a great journey, I think most people would love the patience and freedom and confidence it gives us if they gave it a chance and let go of their fear of messy hair or other people's opinions.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it was the only way i ever knew of when i dreaded and only way that makes sence to me

hours of painful hair pulling compared to sitting back lookig at the stars and smiling?

im all about the relaxed and easy way

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I should point out that I let my hair section all on its own first, I did not tell it where to go, I let it tell me and I used those sections...I do agree neglect is the best way, but don't think you should have felt guilty, no one should who uses the T&R method & lets their hair section naturally first...you are being too hard on yourself....You will grow awesome dreads, congrats on your decision. ...peace

the Barrellady said:

Glad you found a method you liked, but why the guilty feeling? I did T&R and have no guilt, no shame, I only set myself back a step and am fine with that, I have had a wild journey and growing maturing dreadlocks. Don't pass on guilt to yourself unwarranted, not healthy to do. Sure, neglect is the best, T&R the next...peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form