Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Unblunting?

Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

Helllo my dreads are now 2 months old, crochet recovery (only 1 day "the start day" with a crochet needle never touched it since) I'm really pleased with their progress. They have gotten so much softer and so much more flexible and I'm even finding little loops on some of them especially at the back so thats a good sign :)

When i got them done i blunted the ends of them with the crochet needle. A lot has unraveled but i still have about 6 maybe more with blunted tips and i really want to undo them. I brushed out one half blunted tip and the hair is very rough and there was some white power but I'm hoping thats just BS or whatever. I wasn't surprised at the feel of my hair (starting with a crochet needle worst mistake ever!!!) but since this is the first time in 2 months I've touched them, other than washing, i have full faith they will recover eventually.

Is unblunting them a good idea? and if it is i heard you should use some oil or something but I'm litterly broke and the only oil in my house is vegetable and olive oil haha so is it okay if i just brush the tips out?

any help or advice appreciated :)

thank you

updated by @harriet: 01/13/15 09:26:33PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I would actually have recommended the olive oil. Just use a tiny bit to start. Dab it on the tip of your lock and then start brushing the tip out. Add a tiny bit more if you need it. If they are really hard to brush out, you could grab a comb and see if that helps. But be careful.

It is a good idea to unblunt the tips. I've been meaning to do it to a few of mine, but since only a few are blunted, I kind of like the randomness of how they formed, so I am leaving them alone for now

Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

Okay thank you :D!!

do i have to wash it out after just like with cold water? and can olive oil be used to slacken some of the tightest spots in my dreads also from crocheting? or am i best to use aloe or jojoba oil for that

Baba Fats said:

I would actually have recommended the olive oil. Just use a tiny bit to start. Dab it on the tip of your lock and then start brushing the tip out. Add a tiny bit more if you need it. If they are really hard to brush out, you could grab a comb and see if that helps. But be careful.

It is a good idea to unblunt the tips. I've been meaning to do it to a few of mine, but since only a few are blunted, I kind of like the randomness of how they formed, so I am leaving them alone for now

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea it can but its easy to over use

and hot water will help get the oi l out better

you are making great recovery im surprised its recovering so fast

umm.. was lock peppa or some other nasty powders used when creating the dreads?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

okay thank you ill try get some of these tight bits out then rinse it all.

And no nothing was used apart from a comb and a crochet needle, i didnt do enough research at all and copied this other girl on youtube who was using the crochet method :( the one thing i regret is not going natural.

I've been thinking about combing them out and starting again but i can't bring myself to do it so I'm trying whatever to help them

soaring eagle said:

yea it can but its easy to over use

and hot water will help get the oi l out better

you are making great recovery im surprised its recovering so fast

umm.. was lock peppa or some other nasty powders used when creating the dreads?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea unfortunatelty thats how alot of ppl start to crochet .. youtubes so full of bad info and newbies showing other newbies how to make the mistakes they just made

--
Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

Yeah :( I'm just glad i found this website a few hours after getting them done or id still be crocheting now most likely! shame i didnt find it a few hours before getting them done like haha but never mind there feeling better already with this olive oil!!

oh just another quick question i was pretty of with my sectioning like i just grabbed bits of hair that look liked they wanted to chill together and in some places its a bit patchy and I've got some tiny ones and some big ones, will the sectioning eventually sort itself out and cover over the patchy areas?

soaring eagle said:

yea unfortunatelty thats how alot of ppl start to crochet .. youtubes so full of bad info and newbies showing other newbies how to make the mistakes they just made

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea should as u seoperate and create loose hairs between drads

--
Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

I'm about 7 months into crochet recovery, i didn't unblunt my tips, but I am thinking about it. I do love my loose hairs now. My scalp is so much more protected when I'm outside. My dreads are softer and look better every day!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form