Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

To destroy, or to let grow. My dreadlock crossroads.

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
12 years ago
235 posts

Hey guys,

Haven't been around for some time. My dreads have grown and matured so much since just last july, as i am now able to put beads and what have you in them. My journey using the natural method has...had its ups and downs to say the least. First i was pleased to see them actually taking shape as babies. Then i had days where i somewhat loathed their inital "tree-like" appearance in the later stage. Then came a day seemingly when i woke up and they were past my ears, blowing wildly in the wind, unchallenged, untamed. And i was content.

Some days i am quite proud of them, and others i feel like it is best if we parted ways. I realize it is after all just hair, but anyone who has grown dreadlocks especially from starter natural method can vouch for just how much time, patience, and energy can go into them. Currently, i would say they are at their "teenager" stage of length, and while i still believe the natural method is the healthiest way to go, for uniform appearance i might have chosen an alternative method. If i were to cut them i would not be interested in trying again; no, i have the experience of dreadlocks etched into memory forever. Yet when i raised the scissors to just one of them, i put it down and commenced writing this post. I am at a crossroads. Share your thoughts, near dread-death experiences if you will. Thanks ya'll.

updated by @thundersquall: 02/14/15 03:49:49AM
Tinarama
@tinarama
12 years ago
20 posts
I had dreads for a year and a half, and cut them off. They were too big for my liking, but right away I knew I needed to start them again. Now that my hair is long enough, I have restarted them with love, patience, and yes- I did separate them into small even sections. And I am so happy to be going through the journey all over again!Maybe give yourself the chance to start over, if you do end up dead-set on cutting them off. Dreads are a part of you now, maybe more than you realize (that's what happened to me!)
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

The fact that you put the scissors down speaks for itself. They may be pissing you off, but they haven't pissed you enough for you to cut them. (Besides, people piss us off too, but we don't just give up on them. :) ) Keep them, and cut only when you are 100% percent sure you do not want them anymore. When that moment comes, you will not have to ask what to do, you will know the time has come. Until that time does come, enjoy them.

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
Ditto what Rainbow said.

Rainbow Fortune said:

The fact that you put the scissors down speaks for itself. They may be pissing you off, but they haven't pissed you enough for you to cut them. (Besides, people piss us off too, but we don't just give up on them. :) ) Keep them, and cut only when you are 100% percent sure you do not want them anymore. When that moment comes, you will not have to ask what to do, you will know the time has come. Until that time does come, enjoy them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

i cut mine once

it was devestating

i wore a hat the next year never taking it off

i felt hollow lost it was such a bad idea

depressing

dread loss depressions very real very profound and i guarantee if u cut u will drad again

within a year

your only at the beginning of a long journey dont turn back now

do you leave on a cross country trip only to turn back before making iyt out of town>/

keep going..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I think everyone who's going the natural method feels that way, cos it has its highs and lows, so to speak. People have this image of what they want their dreads to look like, but as we all know, it just tends to do its own thing, and everyone's hair dreads differently. But it is a journey, and cutting them off or combing them out after a bad day or week or whatever will probably be something to regret, for the simple fact that you've had them for so long, watched them change, etc. It's a weird thing to adjust to

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
12 years ago
235 posts

I apreciate the responses, thank you. It is true that the natural method is like a marathon, and it would be a shame to quit the race when you are 75% of the way to the finish line (Shoulder length, in my case) To be honest i can see how cutting your dreads the first time SE could be a event of major significance, one which i could potentially see myself going through as well.

I too agree that many of us go through the same thing when it comes to dreading. It is odd because the other day when i took my daughter to the park, my hair was freshly washed and ornamented with wooden beads throughout. Some parents looked at me with mild curiosity and interest, but regardless at that place in time i was proud of my locks, and wore them proud. Strange, such a feeling can be so..fleeting at times. Like the above poster stated, the fact that i put down the scissors to come consult with you fine people does hint at my obvious hesitation to cut that which i grew.

QuentinB
@quentinb
11 years ago
26 posts

Great thread to read through :)

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
Yeah I'm with everyone else on this, if you have to ask us then it means you aren't ready :) in my opinion of course you know yourself and your dreads better than anyone and it's ultimately your decision to make. Peace
Coloursnrainbows
@coloursnrainbows
11 years ago
21 posts
I have had three sets of my own and I am currently on my fourth set. All the other ones I had taken out for various reasons. Just know if you are conflicting with yourself about taking them out. You are not ready and you will want them back and possibly kick yourself in the butt for doing so. I have been there. I'm sure others have been too. :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form