Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Top Secret

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

There's a trend of silly questions I keep hearing asked. Not that any question is bad, but it seems like people have the impression that there is some secret to growing locks.

Sorry to break the news, but there is no top secret method that us people with locks have and are keeping from new comers.

I don't want to go into all of them, but for starters:

1: You locks will round themselves out. Don't worry. As you sleep on them they get squished each and every way. They won't grow flat unless that particular lock wants to.

2: They will shrink. Some shrink as much as 1/2 the length of your original length. This means that they really are starting to lock. They wouldn't shrink if they weren't getting tangled back in on themselves. Just be careful to separate when needed.

3: There is no "best" shampoo to use. Any residue free one will work. Some better for some peoples hair. Others for others. Only thing to know is when you first start out, use a liquid. It's the most gentle on your hair. A bar is perfect for when they are mature enough that rubbing and being a little bit more forceful wont take them apart

4: Don't be afraid to sleep on them. That's when a lot of the locking process happens. You are unconsciously moving around and letting them go free to rub against each other and tangle. There's no need to wear a tam when you sleep. It'll probably just fall off in the middle of the night anyway. There's no special pillow or pillow case you "need" to use.

Locks have been around for thousands of years. Locks are rugged. They are natural. They don't need to be babied. They existed long before any of the modern comforts we have today

I could keep going but really, the important thing to know, and we should all know it, is that if you just stop all the maintenance that has been drilled into our heads since birth, your hair will lock up. It's that simple. There's no top secret method people use to get gorgeous looking locks. In time they will all end up just as nice

Feel free to add any more simple techniques you can think of that people have wrong impressions about how to grow beautiful locks

updated by @baba-fats: 02/14/15 08:05:02AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

there are no dread products or dread tools dreads result from not using products and tools so why do u need more products and tools to force them

there are no dread salons dreads are the result of avoiding salons sio why do u need to pay 1 10 times more then you did before to get dreadsw

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
Shhhh so secretive! :) I hate being one to ask questions that I know are probably posted on here...just with my phone I can't navigate the forums very well. All the info given is very much appreciated!
baby britt
@baby-britt
12 years ago
112 posts

=)

baby britt
@baby-britt
12 years ago
112 posts

i had lots of questions when i first started too. the folks on this site are really quite patient, especially SE, and they don't mind giving you a quick answer even to a question that's been asked plenty of times before. happy journey, sister!

Kelsey Cliche! said:

Shhhh so secretive! :) I hate being one to ask questions that I know are probably posted on here...just with my phone I can't navigate the forums very well. All the info given is very much appreciated!
Aika
@aika
12 years ago
57 posts

to all those that backcombed and twist and ripped to start off, don't worry about your "dreads" loosening. 75% of my twist and rip dreads came completely undone before they began dreading, and theyre fine now. there's no maintenance that will give you stronger, healthier dreads than if you just left them alone and did no maintenance apart from separating. just let go of the idea that dreads are an instant thing and then you can appreciate the process.

Guillaume
@guillaume
12 years ago
16 posts

I think it's a rip off that a bottle of shampoo is like 12$ and a kilo of baking soda costs 2.50$. A bottle lasts me about a month, that box of bs is probably gonna last me more than 3 months. Growing dreads is not only healthier, it's saving you money!

Beje
@beje
12 years ago
7 posts

Yup, I second this. Very few of my original TnR set are "alive" now. Don't panic, it's completely normal especially if your hair is still short. Give it time, and don't TnR again (unless you're sure the undone section is perfectly unknotted hair) because you'll set you back to the beginning. TnR is not an "instant dreads" method, it's more like a "let's set some knots and sections so the beginning step takes less time".

Aika said:

to all those that backcombed and twist and ripped to start off, don't worry about your "dreads" loosening. 75% of my twist and rip dreads came completely undone before they began dreading, and theyre fine now. there's no maintenance that will give you stronger, healthier dreads than if you just left them alone and did no maintenance apart from separating. just let go of the idea that dreads are an instant thing and then you can appreciate the process.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

any method of starting locks is a 1 step forward 2 steps back method. It just sets the stage for where your locks will section themselves.

After you start this, you don't have to keep it up. They will grow pretty much where you ask them to. They do untangle a lot at first, but you got them used to the idea of being knotted that they will grow back and retangle themselves pretty easily and quickly

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I haven't check this page out in a while. But I just thought of something new to add:

There will always be a few inches of untangled hair down at the tips of your locks. It's perfectly natural. In fact, it's better. It lets water run out of your hair instead of getting stuck in blunted tips. Even if you try to TnR the hell out of that hair, it will most likely not stay. If a lock wants to blunt, it will, but don't try to force it.

On the vain of loose hairs, there will always be some unkotten hair by your roots too. After time, it will mat and tangle on it's own. Look at pictures of dreadlocks. Those people's hair were not always that long. But you don't see a lock and then tons of unlocked hair. The last 2 inches or so may not be locked at any given time, but as they grow and have more time in them, they will mat and tangle. There's no reason to root rub or root flip to try and get that hair to knot. Those practices are harmful to your hair and scalp

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form