Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting short vs. growing first

greenblayza
@greenblayza
13 years ago
17 posts

So I've started my journey the organic way - 4 days ago with 4 inches of hair (I may just be the baby of this family..)- and I'm wondering what the pro's and con's are of starting to dread at 4 inches vs. letting it grow out (to say maybe 8 inches or something) and then begin dreading.

On a side not: I have oily hair. I make the BS mix that SE recommended and have converted it down to 5 cups (I'm adding about 2.5 tablespoons - if that's wrong please let me know!) I just put the baking soda over my head this morning (let it sit about 25 minutes before rinsing it with cold water) and it already looks oily (7 hours later). If I add Thyme will it help decrease the oil? Any other suggestions? Thanks

updated by @greenblayza: 01/13/15 09:10:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

id use 5 tablespoons so twice as much as u are using and it wukl be oily for a bit till it adjusts thyme can help somewhat too but if u do the bs for a couple weeks u should see it gradualy get less oily

on length

long hair will dread faster shrink more

shhort hair wont shrink much but might take a couple months to begin to dread

theres certainly no reason to not start short

well except u maybe walkig round with bedhead look and ppl askin u so wheres the dreads for awhile

mine started shorter i think maybe not maybe bout that lengh

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
greenblayza
@greenblayza
13 years ago
17 posts

I'll increase the BS, thanks.

As for length:

I should have said I don't regret starting this early, I didn't want it to come across that way - just curious is all. I didn't know if dreads would look different in the long run or not.

I work as a teacher in Korea (a place where self image is priority number one - it drives me crazy) so I was wondering what my boss would say. So far, they just think I got a perm (my hair is pretty curly) and I just tell them I haven't brushed it and that's all they say - as a westerner you get away with a lot here :). So that's all good so far, just hope it stays that way. I don't mind the bedhead look and I don't tell people I'm trying to grow dreads. I'm just embracing the new lifestyle and having fun reading everyone's comments and stories here on the site - it really is like a family and I'm happy to be here!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

aqh thatas cool so if you teach there where ya from originaly

yea they gonna love it when it starts to dread haha

well the kids u teach will and thats all that matters

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
greenblayza
@greenblayza
13 years ago
17 posts

The great state of Iowa, born and raised.

Yea I think they will too! It'll be hard to keep them from playing with the dreadies in the early stages I reckon, haha.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

Oh yes, just start'] I started at around 3 inches back at the end of March (before I went neglect I backcombed and did a bit of t& r, bought a crochet hook, but only tried it once). I now have a head full of baby dreads'] The back took a lot longer to start since it was shorter, but I'm so glad I started short. You can check out my timeline, I need an update, a lot of new dreads this month'] God Bless your journey!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form