Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

You know what really grinds my gears?

Maximilian
@maximilian
13 years ago
62 posts

Right now I am closing in on the 2 month mark, and I have made great progress. I am going all natural. DUH. But what really irks me is how it looks like I have made the most dreading process right before i wash my hair.. I mean its crazy how much the water takes away from my progress, granted I used to have ringlets, and now I have none, and I have some significant separation, but it just makes me mad.

I mean I am damn close to trying to not wash my hair for extended periods. I think that whole clean hair dreads faster is not entirely true, or not an all encompassing statement.

updated by @maximilian: 01/13/15 09:01:25PM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
It also has a lot to do with HOW you wash. If you are running your fingers thru your hair when you rinse...you are combing out progress. When you wash dreads....only the scalp really needs to be washed/ touched. Just let the soap and water run through the rest. When towel drying, just squeeze your head/hair with the towel...scrubbing your head with a towel can undo progress. What you wash it with has a whole lot to do with it too. If your cleaning agent (soap, shampoo, etc.) is too conditioning , it can undo progress. Clean dreads do dread faster. Oily hair slips out of knots.
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
Going 100% natural takes lots and lots of patience. For every step forward, you are gonna feel like you have taken 2 backwards. LOL grinds your gears? Can't let the process get to you. Embrace it, love it, enjoy it!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i woukd use the baking soda sea salt and not touch it at all when washing..and wouldnt towel dry either shake it out let it air dry

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Maximilian
@maximilian
13 years ago
62 posts
Ya I am not an idiot, i only wash my scalp, and my dreads are already showing at not even two months, I guess i should be happy with what i have. I never shake it out I air dry it. sO far dr. bronners hasn't let me down, I was kinda venting lol.
Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts

i had the same problem when mine were starting out. i figured out what the problem was though. the water pressure was too high and it was undoing progress by blasting the new knots out.

i was not able to change the shower head, and my shower only had a control for hot or cold, pure hot or pure cold was the lowest pressure, and the mid ranges were like a firehose.

I resolved this by putting a pair of pantyhose over my head. it still lets a ton of water through, but the fabric acts as a pressure dispersant, and it didnt undo my knots. SE says it doesnt work though, but in my experience it was a miracle. i did it again when i was dealing with big chunks of loose hair that wouldnt dread, and the loose hair dreaded up really fast when i did that.

i'd pour my baking soda mixture all over my head and soak it, then put the dry panty hose over my head, wash the rest of my body and do whatever i could to take up approx 10 mins, then rinse my hair out really good with the panty hoes on until i felt it was sufficently clean. id massage it with my nails and fingertips slightly (not hard) to help the scalp and stuff without having to have my fingers pull out knots.

also, try mixing water and sea salt in a spray bottle and spray it all over your hair after you pat (not rub or squeeze) your hair with a towel and dry it off a little. then just let it air dry. the mixture should be strong enough to leave salt on whatever it sprays on. it will form knots really fast. if you use ACV, cut out the acv for a little bit as it conditions and relaxes hair.

Just some stuff to try that worked like a charm for me and some other people i suggested it to.

edit: max, i just noticed you said you use bronners. try cutting out the bronners and going to 1/2 cup of baking soda in a gallon jug of water, mix well, and pour over your head. it leaves your hair squeaky clean and readily grabbing on to each other. combined with the sea salt spray, you should see an explosion of knotting.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form