Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I Caved.....

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

yay for your new dread babies!!!! can't wait to see pics:)

and just to comment back on what was said by naturalwomyn and SE, some people want dreadlocks NOW not 6 or 12 months from now. not everyone is on a spiritual journey (not to say kai isn't). i've wanted dreadlocks for over a decade and even though the waiting for it to naturally happen has been a bit of a pain the last 6 months i've actually enjoyed seeing them emerge. i could totally see myself with dreadlocks for the next 10 - 15 years or more but others might just want the hairstyle right now. that's totally fine, too. when it comes down to it all its just hair. it grows out of our heads whether we want it to or not and all through time it has taken on different shapes and styles.

live and let live, i say:)

updated by @heather: 07/23/15 05:09:25PM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts

ok

so I guess for some it's more about the end result? I don't/didn't mean any of what I said in a bad or condescending way, I was genuinely curious cause people constantly tell me they wish they had the patience to go neglect, I'm not overly patient so it confused me a lil, I suppose that if I had the type of hair that didn't instantly knot up I might have felt differently, for me dreads are just more about not having to do anything to my hair (plus they do look pretty badass lol!) Thanks for the clarification I always enjoy hearing different perspectives :o)

@ Kai you have nothing to feel bad about! I can't wait to see your dreads progress please keep us updated with lots of pics!!

Heather said:

yay for your new dread babies!!!! can't wait to see pics:)

and just to comment back on what was said by naturalwomyn and SE, some people want dreadlocks NOW not 6 or 12 months from now. not everyone is on a spiritual journey (not to say kai isn't). i've wanted dreadlocks for over a decade and even though the waiting for it to naturally happen has been a bit of a pain the last 6 months i've actually enjoyed seeing them emerge. i could totally see myself with dreadlocks for the next 10 - 15 years or more but others might just want the hairstyle right now. that's totally fine, too. when it comes down to it all its just hair. it grows out of our heads whether we want it to or not and all through time it has taken on different shapes and styles.

live and let live, i say:)

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i love you, naturalwomyn and i don't think you sounded condescending at all and yes i do believe its more about the end result than the journey. i mean really would we all do this if we didn't get dreadlocks in the end? i personally hate this rebellious stage of my hair. i want the end result badly but not at the expense of 15 hours of backcombing or t&r but thats just me. i did that once already and hated the sectioning so thats why i combed it out and went natural. plus my hair just doesn't hold any of the starter methods anyway. they fall out no matter what. it all comes down to we all want the end result which is dreadlocks and we all have our paths. yay for kai for choosing a path that was right for her.

*sorry kai for hijacking your post* {{hugs}}

Kai Rayne
@kai-rayne
13 years ago
72 posts
Hey no worries yall! I appreciate all points of view. :) For me, I couldn't ever sit for 12 hours while someone back-combed my hair, I don't have patience for that either. rofl I have such a small amount of hair that it only took 3 total hours and those were broken up over two days (only because my friend couldn't do that full 3 at once). She did TNR too, cause my hair falls out if it is backcombed. (I tried it once a few years ago just to see). I'm happy I have what I have now. They are completely done and although the back ones are a bit loose, I'm going to leave them alone from here on out. I've wanted dreads for 15 years and just recently got the guts to rock the locks, so I jumped in head first. They are all crazy lookin right now and I already love them. :) I have my favorites already too. lolI'll take some pics a little later, I look awful right now. hehe
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
yeah, my hair was mid back when i backcombed my first set by myself. totally killer on the arms. it took me a whole day to finish and when i was done i hated them. i think if i had had someone to help me then maybe they wouldn't have been so bad and i would've stuck to it. i combed them out about a week later and it literally took me about an hour to do so because most of it had fallen out.

Kai Rayne said:
Hey no worries yall! I appreciate all points of view. :) For me, I couldn't ever sit for 12 hours while someone back-combed my hair, I don't have patience for that either. rofl I have such a small amount of hair that it only took 3 total hours and those were broken up over two days (only because my friend couldn't do that full 3 at once). She did TNR too, cause my hair falls out if it is backcombed. (I tried it once a few years ago just to see). I'm happy I have what I have now. They are completely done and although the back ones are a bit loose, I'm going to leave them alone from here on out. I've wanted dreads for 15 years and just recently got the guts to rock the locks, so I jumped in head first. They are all crazy lookin right now and I already love them. :) I have my favorites already too. lol

I'll take some pics a little later, I look awful right now. hehe
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts

love YOU mama!! different strokes for different folks is what I always say! I'm just happy when others are happy with their dreads/ dready progress! maybe I'm just the oddball out cause if i didn't have to comb my hair and it didn't dread I probably wouldn't have dreads! lol! Maybe it's laziness cause when I was 8 or 9 I had unintentional dreads from refusing to comb my hair, my mom was soo mad she dragged me to the hairdresser and forced me into a bob cut! ugh...

(((H*U*G*S))) & Love to you all

i love you, naturalwomyn and i don't think you sounded condescending at all and yes i do believe its more about the end result than the journey. i mean really would we all do this if we didn't get dreadlocks in the end? i personally hate this rebellious stage of my hair. i want the end result badly but not at the expense of 15 hours of backcombing or t&r but thats just me. i did that once already and hated the sectioning so thats why i combed it out and went natural. plus my hair just doesn't hold any of the starter methods anyway. they fall out no matter what. it all comes down to we all want the end result which is dreadlocks and we all have our paths. yay for kai for choosing a path that was right for her.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i think maybe i need to live by the beach like you and i'll have awesome dreads like you and your husband someday;) that probably won't happen though because i'm too afraid of tsunamis. {lol!}

NaturalWomyn said:

love YOU mama!! different strokes for different folks is what I always say! I'm just happy when others are happy with their dreads/ dready progress! maybe I'm just the oddball out cause if i didn't have to comb my hair and it didn't dread I probably wouldn't have dreads! lol! Maybe it's laziness cause when I was 8 or 9 I had unintentional dreads from refusing to comb my hair, my mom was soo mad she dragged me to the hairdresser and forced me into a bob cut! ugh...

(((H*U*G*S))) & Love to you all

Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
@Kai Rayne-- This journey for each of us is such a personal one, and I feel more and more strongly distasteful about the attitudes of "this is right" and "this is wrong". I'm with you....there's NO way I would be able to be patient enough to wait out my hair locking through neglect. I, as well, T&R'd(my friend did) and I was able to jump start that way. Either way, it still requires patience because I'm only a month 1/2 in, and my hair certainly still looks hilarious and goofy! Also, contrary to what SE said, I most definitely would have sections locking together along the nape of my neck after only about 12-24 hours. When my friend ended up T&R'ing for me- she seperated about 6 good, strong dreads on my neck that were there purely from neglect...so,yes I totally believe there's many people who commonly start seeing strong sectioning within 2 days!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

so angie you had no patience to go neglect despite the fact that you alreadh had several dreads while waitting to tnr>?

hmm thats just ofdd isnt it?

u had the patience to wait to tnr long enough for it to already be dreading..

kinda a contradiction isnt it?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
No,I don't think it's a contradiction at all. It was a mess by the time my friend helped me...my hair was very long and what was already locking on the underneath layers had started to become one massive congo....it took quite a bit of time for her to even seperate it and salvage what had already begun naturally. There's no way I would've wanted to deal with that for my whole head. I just think your way of addressing people is at times extremely judgemental and I don't understand that.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form