Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

No Loops, No Kinks...Thinking About Giving Up

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
hey there sweet mama! I'm so sorry you're feeling discouraged! I really want for you to be happy with your dreading process to feel liberated and free from everything you disliked about combing. I think you need to do whatever makes you happy right now. If that means giving your hair a jump start then go for it if it feels right! Of course just be careful no to undo any knots that you do have forming. But give it a try and see what happens. We're all here for you mama and we love you!!! Remember it's about the journey as well as the destination in this case ;o) (((H*U*G*S))) & Much Love
updated by @naturalwomyn: 07/23/15 07:15:30PM
Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts
I also have had the same experience. My hair is very straight and fine (but thick) - silky, you know? Weeks have gone by, no combing, no conditioner or special shampoos - just what was recommended here and got nothing. About 2 weeks ago, I sectioned off my hair and twisted/ripped and backcombed the sections. I just think that with hair like ours, the sections need something to anchor the ends with so the middle areas will start tangling (or something like that). I am really happy with how it turned out - though I must say my head looks like a big hairy mess right now.Just a question for those who did help their dreads along through the T/R/B methods - how long roughly did it take for the sections to really start tightening up and actually dreading on their own? I am trying not to obsess - hahhaha - but I am curious.Hang in there, Panterra - I look forward to hearing how things go for you in the future.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I had no luck at all from TnR, it just slid out of my hair like the knots would. I found that the loose fluffy tangle from back-combing gave my hair space to slide around without sliding out of the knots.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Before I went to bed last night my daughter T&R'd a couple of sections and I backcombed one section (both on the slickest hair at my neck). This morning the T&R is completely gone, infact, the pieces were coming undone while I was brushing my teeth! But that lil' backcombed guy is still knotty! Think you and I have the same hair Lex! :) Thanks to all my friends here...I love you guys!
Lex said:
I had no luck at all from TnR, it just slid out of my hair like the knots would. I found that the loose fluffy tangle from back-combing gave my hair space to slide around without sliding out of the knots.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I figured we might since your description seemed pretty familiar.... Except I held on to all the suspense for a year before I couldn't take it anymore :)
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
your hair sounds a lot like mine. i'm only a few weeks in but my hair is so soft i worry it'll be this way for months before i see anything happening. i was thinking i might try t&ring a small section at the nape of my neck where it's the softest just to see what would happen. most likely it will fall out like yours did.i'm eager to see how your journey progresses. even if you don't go all natural then who cares. you'll still have amazing dreads in the end and be happy:)

Panterra Caraway said:

Before I went to bed last night my daughter T&R'd a couple of sections and I backcombed one section (both on the slickest hair at my neck). This morning the T&R is completely gone, infact, the pieces were coming undone while I was brushing my teeth! But that lil' backcombed guy is still knotty! Think you and I have the same hair Lex! :) Thanks to all my friends here...I love you guys!
Lex said:
Alicia Burnit
@alicia-burnit
14 years ago
17 posts
I was a backcomber and just after two months, my hair has started to get the loopies. Only a few of my dreads undreaded a bit. I started with the base of my neck and those never unraveled and are locked up super tight. Just to answer you question about how long Andelynn.

Andelynn said:
I also have had the same experience. My hair is very straight and fine (but thick) - silky, you know? Weeks have gone by, no combing, no conditioner or special shampoos - just what was recommended here and got nothing. About 2 weeks ago, I sectioned off my hair and twisted/ripped and backcombed the sections. I just think that with hair like ours, the sections need something to anchor the ends with so the middle areas will start tangling (or something like that). I am really happy with how it turned out - though I must say my head looks like a big hairy mess right now.

Just a question for those who did help their dreads along through the T/R/B methods - how long roughly did it take for the sections to really start tightening up and actually dreading on their own? I am trying not to obsess - hahhaha - but I am curious.

Hang in there, Panterra - I look forward to hearing how things go for you in the future.
colbi godlove
@colbi-godlove
14 years ago
48 posts
I am six months in and i have 1 ( New, have known about it for only a week now ) one dread, That isnt noticable, i just feel it and it feels like a dread and hasnt went away, and it wont lol, The hair around its combining to it hiding it though, Then i have 1 new loopy knoty madness that isnt going away but not in the form of dread atm, So, 6+ months, 1 dread NEW and 1 NEW loop, I am purely neglecting like no other, i dont even lift hairs to show off dreadage like alot do, I plan on having the dreads i get from this set, And keeping em with me when i go 6 feet under, So timelines dont matter to me, So keep your head up :) you will get there! i never slept ON my hair, One day, I was careless and didnt move my hair out of the way waking up one night like i always do, went back to bed, Woke up on my back, All the hair that rested from my back over the shoulder and onto my chest, that hair was gone.. I was like uh oh.. All the hair was all on my back, lol i didnt seperate cause i am not doin that, so i ignored it, And once it seperated by itself, I felt back there, feeling matted hair, About quarter--half inch wide, And all the way to the end of my hair, with it spliting in half mid dread, i didnt worry cause im use to dread like groups coming apart going bye bye, Week latter, The split is gone, its all 1 dread. took time but i finally got a dread lol and it just made me want to wait another 6 months for 1 more dread, I hope you get your first dread soon, mines still immature, :P Peace and blessings :) Hang in there!
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Can I just come hang with you Girlfriend?!!!! Lol
Netty Mey said:
Yes backcomb! Lol neglect doesnt work for everybody....u tried and theres no shame in that!! If up come to colorado ill do it for u!! ;-)
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
14 years ago
75 posts
Hey,Don't give up!! I almost gave up too because my hair wasn't dreadding, now it is coming together better. Trust me, it will take a loonnng time for my hair to dread up fully. I am so impatient, but I will keep my dreads. I even thought about cutting my hair!!! I'm so glad that I didn't!!!! Hang in there, you can do it!!!:)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form