Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Neglect Locs.

rose@teavana
@roseteavana
8 years ago
3 posts

Hello, I have been letting my hair do its thing for the past three months. I previously had locs for just under two years and started out the same as this set. I started out with some light T&R for sectioning, but most of that fell out. I'm going natural and only washing my hair + conditioning it with natural ingredients and oils. At what point would one consider themselves to actually have locs? I'm just curious what you consider the transition point from frizzy sections to mature locs. Is it based off of appearance? Or is it based off of how developed the loc is (how knotted they are from root to tip). :)

updated by @roseteavana: 05/17/19 01:28:05PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well, i wouldn't be conditioning at this stage

but at what point should you consider that you have locks (locs is a typo, locks  is spelled with a k) when someone on the street says "nice dreads"

you'll know when others around you know and let you know.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
rose@teavana
@roseteavana
8 years ago
3 posts

Thank you, that is kinda what I was thinking along the lines of. I'm at the in between, some people notice and others don't. It's a lot more enjoyable this time around. My previous set of locs was much more handled and was scarcely moisturized. I condition right now with oils such as, lavender and a hemp oil blend. I know it slows the progress down, but I previously had breakage in the beginning of my last set because of little moisturizer. :/ It's all good though, things are coming along well.

rose@teavana
@roseteavana
8 years ago
3 posts

Hmmm where I'm from the matted hair process is definitely referred to as of "locking", but most of the people I know call the actual hair "locs". I suppose it depends on where you're coming from? It could just be regional slang as well I suppose. : ) Either way, I appreciate the feedback! You have inspired me so much these past few years, thank you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

locs are typically "salon locs" they remove the k to differentiate from dreadlocks locs is a way of (at least many feel) being ashamed of the association with dreadlocks so they make these manufactured, overmaintained locs that they even use a diferent name

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

locks go back to every written text

now when you type locs or loctician they come up as typos

made up words made up industry that relies on shaming locks while promoting a version of locks

they build an industry around what hair does on its own and change the spelling to separate  it from the traditional locking..and very often its a way of shaming locks spelled properly.

i have no issue with dreadlocks i don't believe its associated with being dreadful .. its just 1  of many proper names that don't come up as typos

i don't mind people using locs really except when used in that shameful way which it most often is

but not by all

--
JT
@j-welsh
7 years ago
42 posts

I did not know that about "locs" and "locks". Very interesting.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

well the bible spelled it correctly Macbeth spelled it correctly

they were locks fairy locks  etc

some people have said "my locs are not locking yet" or "my locs finally locked"

locking and becoming locked is the process o why change the  spelling off the end result?

the same people (many not all) refer to natural dreads as 'shitlocks" in this case..they use the k

again locs and locks are looked at differently. 

the k being more traditional and implying spiritual (even fairy locks in Macbeth were mystically created and 'doom to untangle') without the k they are trying to distance themselves (not everyone who spells it that way is aware of this) from any deeper meaning or cause .. in order to get you to pay for a style they have to make the unpaid version look very undesirable.. something to be ashamed of.. ok to imitate, but shameful if they don't have a high price tag.

locticians create the culture  most who use the term aren't even aware.. some who use locs themselves look down on locks many of them may not even be aware why..

take a bag ladies bag and slap a channel (or  whatever I don't know much about purses) label on it and you could sell it for $1000 .. if a bag lady ever made eye contact and maybe a lil smile cause you had the same bag.. you can turn your nose up and return a look of disgust cause you got a genuine channel and they only got a trash picked knockoff

its the whole culture of "the more you pay the better you are" so locs is like 'designer locks' 

while we are on the subject.. noticed many locticians referring to themselves as 'hair artists' which i find odd since they rush through them  and make them all the same

the most artistic lock I ever saw was completely freeform.. but looked like a wrist and hand sticking out the top of his head that waved at everyone when he walked down the street .. art makes a statement.. his made the statement 'hello' or "goodbye" based on your reaction to it

sorry to babble haven't had coffee yet

--
JT
@j-welsh
7 years ago
42 posts

I especially like it when people without dreadlocks need to tell me I ought to get mine done or re twisted, as if they were ever twisted to begin with, or they say oh are you letting them grow out, like they know something about my hair. I usually just give the no I like my hair natural and don't like it messed with it. Or if I want to be funny I say I just forgot to brush it this morning. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

nobody (except on fb/yt) has ever said i should retwist them  just the opposite i always get asked why mine look so much more healthy

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form