Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Going for Neglect! .. Questions

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
9 years ago
46 posts

So, just a couple months ago (guessing) I came here and posted something about how I was going for Twist & Rip.... @soaringeagle and a girl whose name I can't remember came to my post and enlightened me... at the time I didn't care and procedded with my mindset of twist&rip dreads... now as I'm a little older (joking) I am almost 100% sure that I'm going neglect...  I'm already 1 month in and I'm loving it!

I have soooo many questions tough!

So Let's start and I hope someone can answer them all!

1 - I have 2 very thin (very thin) dreads that are actually somewhat curly and have started to congo that were made with T&R... (I was bored and the whole dread idea was sooooo into my head that I couldn't resist). Should I just leave them do their thing or brush them out and let them neglect as well? because one day when I'm older I want to be able to say 'My dreads were made naturally! :)' and I think that if I say that and then remember that 2 were made with T&R it will ruin my natural mindset... :( ... 

I see some positives to this such as : diversity (although not noticeable at all because they're so thin)

but I really wanted to go full natural, but brushing them out seems a bit too-much (they're about 2 months old) do you think having these 2 VERY THIN dreads will interfere with my natural mindset?

2 - In the end of general dread maturing (like 3 years? or 4...) will my neglect dreads look the "same" as if I go next to a person with 4 year old T&R dreads? I don't want them neat... at all ... but say like Meowjuana or LazyDreads..  Try to answer if possible :)

3 - It's summer and luckily I have access to the sea and I have some questions about it, so I go swim in the sea my hair gets all beautiful (or ugly, crazy, needing to be cut, needing to be brushed, etc according to my mom (she does not know I'm going for dreads :S (another positive for neglect! it doesnt look like dreads in the first day so no need to hear 'WTF HAVE YOU DDONE WITH YOUR HAIR?!!!! IM CALLING THE 911 HAIR STYLIST RIGHT NOW!' )))  

The question is, after I get out of the sea and head home, should I run my head under shower water? Or should I wait a day to do that and wash it as well, cuz I feeel if I get home and rinse all of the salt water away I'm just "deleting the sea benefits"..

4 - Putting shirts on? - Today I noticed that I had soooo amazing sections! They were actually thick and kinda felt like dreads (never touched a real dread though :| ) I put my shirt on anddddd... they were gone... not gone, but they were made flat and that was weird... what's going on with that??

5- What will happen to my fringe?? I used to  (1 month ago) have 'bieber' fringe (like, going sideways to the left (from my POV) )... what will happen to it? what I mean with this is that I kind of want my future dreads to go sideways, I don't want a fringe of dreads.. (today when I woke up my fringe was all sectioned and falling right onto my face...)

6 - Should I take pictures weekly, then monthly, etc... and do like, YouTube videos off of it? Because I feel like yes but then I feel like 'everybody does that...' but at the same time I feel like if I don't do it I might regret one day cuz it'll be already too late... Also is 1 month in already too late to start doing it?????? :(

7 - *WARNING* - EXTREMELY PARANOID CONCERNS : - Can I move my head too much (like shaking to the left (because of the fringe)) , head bang , put shirts on, live my life like I always did????

Thanks if you can answer them all... I'm so excited... and patient!!! :D

Specially answer number 6, 5 and 1 ...

And dam, I know there were more questions to be asked ... :| 

oH ONE MORE 

8 - Will after a couple years those weird flat dreads or dreads that have thinner / thicker spots, loops, weird balls in the end... become more regular? Just wondering I will still love them no matter what... also with natural (neglect) do you still get some dreads to be like 'perfect' (round cylindrical etc) (just wondering again)

THANKS!!!

edit:

another one

9 - Does getting my (very disturbing) fringe of sections falling onto my face out of the way (by pushing them to the side with the palm of my hand) disturb the process? 

updated by @mw2toptenworld: 06/19/15 08:55:16PM
sarah.bosley
@sarahbosley
9 years ago
7 posts

MW2TopTenWORLD:
1 - I have 2 very thin (very thin) dreads that are actually somewhat curly and have started to congo that were made with T&R... (I was bored and the whole dread idea was sooooo into my head that I couldn't resist). Should I just leave them do their thing or brush them out and let them neglect as well? because one day when I'm older I want to be able to say 'My dreads were made naturally! :)' and I think that if I say that and then remember that 2 were made with T&R it will ruin my natural mindset... :( ...    I see some positives to this such as : diversity (although not noticeable at all because they're so thin) but I really wanted to go full natural, but brushing them out seems a bit too-much (they're about 2 months old) do you think having these 2 VERY THIN dreads will interfere with my natural mindset? 

Do whatever you feel is right, keeping them or brushing them out. People can love their tnr's just as much as the neglects most of the time. Even though they are thin, over time they will fatten up and maybe even suck in other hair surrounding them to make them thicker. Brushing them out would set you back to day one, so if you want my personal opinon, I'd just leave them alone and let them do their thing from this point on.

MW2TopTenWORLD: 2 - In the end of general dread maturing (like 3 years? or 4...) will my neglect dreads look the "same" as if I go next to a person with 4 year old T&R dreads? I don't want them neat... at all ... but say like Meowjuana or LazyDreads..  Try to answer if possible :) 

Neglect dreads and tnr dreads over time will start to look similar. Crochet dreads and salon dreads are the ones that look extremely "neat", I wouldn't worry about that one. :)

MW2TopTenWORLD:3 - It's summer and luckily I have access to the sea and I have some questions about it, so I go swim in the sea my hair gets all beautiful (or ugly, crazy, needing to be cut, needing to be brushed, etc according to my mom (she does not know I'm going for dreads :S (another positive for neglect! it doesnt look like dreads in the first day so no need to hear 'WTF HAVE YOU DDONE WITH YOUR HAIR?!!!! IM CALLING THE 911 HAIR STYLIST RIGHT NOW!' )))     The question is, after I get out of the sea and head home, should I run my head under shower water? Or should I wait a day to do that and wash it as well, cuz I feeel if I get home and rinse all of the salt water away I'm just "deleting the sea benefits".. 

I would never wait a full day before washing saltwater out of my hair, it can be damaging to your scalp and make your hair brittle. Try to rinse out your hair that same day with lots of water, you will still get the benefits.

MW2TopTenWORLD:4 - Putting shirts on? - Today I noticed that I had soooo amazing sections! They were actually thick and kinda felt like dreads (never touched a real dread though :| ) I put my shirt on anddddd... they were gone... not gone, but they were made flat and that was weird... what's going on with that??   5- What will happen to my fringe?? I used to  (1 month ago) have 'bieber' fringe (like, going sideways to the left (from my POV) )... what will happen to it? what I mean with this is that I kind of want my future dreads to go sideways, I don't want a fringe of dreads.. (today when I woke up my fringe was all sectioned and falling right onto my face...)  

You need to stop worrying about it so much lol Before your dreads fully form, your hair will knot, loosen, knot, loosen until they find their own place. Movement is what helps hair knot up, so don't be afraid to move, change clothes, do cartwheels, or whatever you want to do! The less you bother about it, the faster your hair knots up. As far as your fringe, if you want to keep them then just comb them every once in a while. No biggie. If you want them to dread, give them time to grow out and let them do their thing and I guarantee you they will start to fall into place on your head. (rather than onto your face lol)

MW2TopTenWORLD:6 - Should I take pictures weekly, then monthly, etc... and do like, YouTube videos off of it? Because I feel like yes but then I feel like 'everybody does that...' but at the same time I feel like if I don't do it I might regret one day cuz it'll be already too late... Also is 1 month in already too late to start doing it?????? :( 

Its never too late, go for it! All of us fellow dreadies will be interested in seeing all your awesome progress.

MW2TopTenWORLD7 - *WARNING* - EXTREMELY PARANOID CONCERNS : - Can I move my head too much (like shaking to the left (because of the fringe)) , head bang , put shirts on, live my life like I always did???? 

Nope, crank up the metal and headbang like nobody's watching! Ride in the car with the windows rolled down, try on wool sweaters, roll around on the floor... anything you want to do!

MW2TopTenWORLD: 8 - Will after a couple years those weird flat dreads or dreads that have thinner / thicker spots, loops, weird balls in the end... become more regular? Just wondering I will still love them no matter what... also with natural (neglect) do you still get some dreads to be like 'perfect' (round cylindrical etc) (just wondering again)     THANKS!!!   edit:   another one   9 - Does getting my (very disturbing) fringe of sections falling onto my face out of the way (by pushing them to the side with the palm of my hand) disturb the process? 

They might never be completely rounded, but they will become a bit more uniformed and "regular" than they originally were. And the less touching you do to your hair the better, but don't let that make you paranoid to touch your hair. Relax, enjoy the journey. :)

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
9 years ago
46 posts

sarah.bosley:
MW2TopTenWORLD:1 - I have 2 very thin (very thin) dreads that are actually somewhat curly and have started to congo that were made with T&R... (I was bored and the whole dread idea was sooooo into my head that I couldn't resist). Should I just leave them do their thing or brush them out and let them neglect as well? because one day when I'm older I want to be able to say 'My dreads were made naturally! :)' and I think that if I say that and then remember that 2 were made with T&R it will ruin my natural mindset... :( ...    I see some positives to this such as : diversity (although not noticeable at all because they're so thin) but I really wanted to go full natural, but brushing them out seems a bit too-much (they're about 2 months old) do you think having these 2 VERY THIN dreads will interfere with my natural mindset? 
Do whatever you feel is right, keeping them or brushing them out. People can love their tnr's just as much as the neglects most of the time. Even though they are thin, over time they will fatten up and maybe even suck in other hair surrounding them to make them thicker. Brushing them out would set you back to day one, so if you want my personal opinon, I'd just leave them alone and let them do their thing from this point on.
MW2TopTenWORLD: 2 - In the end of general dread maturing (like 3 years? or 4...) will my neglect dreads look the "same" as if I go next to a person with 4 year old T&R dreads? I don't want them neat... at all ... but say like Meowjuana or LazyDreads..  Try to answer if possible :) 
Neglect dreads and tnr dreads over time will start to look similar. Crochet dreads and salon dreads are the ones that look extremely "neat", I wouldn't worry about that one. :)
MW2TopTenWORLD:3 - It's summer and luckily I have access to the sea and I have some questions about it, so I go swim in the sea my hair gets all beautiful (or ugly, crazy, needing to be cut, needing to be brushed, etc according to my mom (she does not know I'm going for dreads :S (another positive for neglect! it doesnt look like dreads in the first day so no need to hear 'WTF HAVE YOU DDONE WITH YOUR HAIR?!!!! IM CALLING THE 911 HAIR STYLIST RIGHT NOW!' )))     The question is, after I get out of the sea and head home, should I run my head under shower water? Or should I wait a day to do that and wash it as well, cuz I feeel if I get home and rinse all of the salt water away I'm just "deleting the sea benefits".. 
  I would never wait a full day before washing saltwater out of my hair, it can be damaging to your scalp and make your hair brittle. Try to rinse out your hair that same day with lots of water, you will still get the benefits.
MW2TopTenWORLD:4 - Putting shirts on? - Today I noticed that I had soooo amazing sections! They were actually thick and kinda felt like dreads (never touched a real dread though :| ) I put my shirt on anddddd... they were gone... not gone, but they were made flat and that was weird... what's going on with that??   5- What will happen to my fringe?? I used to  (1 month ago) have 'bieber' fringe (like, going sideways to the left (from my POV) )... what will happen to it? what I mean with this is that I kind of want my future dreads to go sideways, I don't want a fringe of dreads.. (today when I woke up my fringe was all sectioned and falling right onto my face...)  
  You need to stop worrying about it so much lol Before your dreads fully form, your hair will knot, loosen, knot, loosen until they find their own place. Movement is what helps hair knot up, so don't be afraid to move, change clothes, do cartwheels, or whatever you want to do! The less you bother about it, the faster your hair knots up. As far as your fringe, if you want to keep them then just comb them every once in a while. No biggie. If you want them to dread, give them time to grow out and let them do their thing and I guarantee you they will start to fall into place on your head. (rather than onto your face lol)  
MW2TopTenWORLD:6 - Should I take pictures weekly, then monthly, etc... and do like, YouTube videos off of it? Because I feel like yes but then I feel like 'everybody does that...' but at the same time I feel like if I don't do it I might regret one day cuz it'll be already too late... Also is 1 month in already too late to start doing it?????? :( 
Its never too late, go for it! All of us fellow dreadies will be interested in seeing all your awesome progress.
MW2TopTenWORLD7 - *WARNING* - EXTREMELY PARANOID CONCERNS : - Can I move my head too much (like shaking to the left (because of the fringe)) , head bang , put shirts on, live my life like I always did???? 
Nope, crank up the metal and headbang like nobody's watching! Ride in the car with the windows rolled down, try on wool sweaters, roll around on the floor... anything you want to do!
MW2TopTenWORLD: 8 - Will after a couple years those weird flat dreads or dreads that have thinner / thicker spots, loops, weird balls in the end... become more regular? Just wondering I will still love them no matter what... also with natural (neglect) do you still get some dreads to be like 'perfect' (round cylindrical etc) (just wondering again)     THANKS!!!   edit:   another one   9 - Does getting my (very disturbing) fringe of sections falling onto my face out of the way (by pushing them to the side with the palm of my hand) disturb the process? 
They might never be completely rounded, but they will become a bit more uniformed and "regular" than they originally were. And the less touching you do to your hair the better, but don't let that make you paranoid to touch your hair. Relax, enjoy the journey. https://www.dreadlockssite.com/data/media/0/0/jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png:style="height: 20px" alt=":)">  

Thanks a lot for your response!! really made me chill a bit :) And about the 2 T&R ones... Yeah I won't be brushing them lol, this morning I was just looking for them with kind of a negative mindset but then I found them and I was just you know, seeing the progress and I actually loved them lol, I feel that the difference between T&R and Neglect at this time is that with T&R I'm saying 'Hair do whatever you want... IN THIS PLACE!!!'  while with Neglect is 'Hair do whatever you want...' but yeah I'm not doing more T&R ones just natural :D, also probably those 2 T&R ones will probably congoing with a natural neglect dread next to them and as they simply fuse together I guess they kind of convert to 'neglectism' lol...

I will be sure to live my life like I always did! No more carefulness when sleeping etc.. And I will, without a doubt start my YouTube channel and I will take pictures as well! I don't know if I'll be posting the pictures right now, but I will take them... Only thing that bothers me is that I already have 2 YouTube channels... only if I could make the future 3 channels into 1 ... would be so more pratical :|... maybe I can :D we'll see.

Also, stupidly, I headbang to Reggae not Metal xD

Thanks a lot :) .. cheers

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

if u wear v neck shirts or with largerr neck holes you will be better off

other then thar sarah did a great job answering

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags