Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting Dreads

2 years ago
1 posts

Hello, I am Tigist. I am going to start having dreads. However, I do not know how to start them. I have researched a lot about Wax and not to use it. I took the idea of not using any products, however, how are my dreads supposed to look good? I am very excited to start them, but nervous on if there is any special type of way to do them. Any suggestions?

updated by @tigist: 01/13/15 10:06:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
2 years ago
27,304 posts

welcome they will look wild for awghile but the wildnbess looks great just embrace the craziness as it dreads you can try tnr if u want but letting them dread themseklves is much better

Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
last year
7 posts

is there a real "start" getting dreadlocks? The journey should begin by stop brushing your hair, using dread shampoo and separate while you get along.

I've started crocheting and I can tell you: Instant dreading doesn't exist. It won't hold. Nature knows his ways

updated by @sasn: 01/20/15 05:20:04AM
last year
32 posts

Welcome Tigist!  Like SE and sasn said, just let your hair do its thing.  I'm actually looking forward to when my hair gets that wild look.  I guess it's already started. ;p  For the shampoo, I'd suggest starting with BS/ACV or get a shampoo from  I actually just got mine and used it like an hour ago so I'm excited to see how it speeds things up!

Sasn, I think the start of my journey happened when I came back from a fest last summer and some of my hair was spiraling around itself (DNA style :) and forming a few knots.  I'd been thinking about dreads for years so I just thought, well they seem to want to start locking so here we go!  So I think for some, they decide to start, and for others, it's the hair that decides. ;)

Dislike 0

Share This

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form