Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Confusion...

NenaBird
@nenabird
13 years ago
3 posts

So I started my dreads about three weeks ago using backcombing and wax and all that fun stuff. But since then I've been reading a whole bunch of different things on the internet about all of the different ways that people say are the "correct" way to get dreadlocks..And now I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. Do I keep backcombing and doing what I've been doing, or do I just leave them alone and let them do their own thing? Help!

updated by @nenabird: 01/13/15 09:12:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yu should start over waxs is evil dreadheadhq is a scam

srry buit its true u meust must must remove all the wax wich is extremely hard to dio without srarting over

never rebackcomb once does enough har=m doing it again will stop progress and shread the hair

remove the bands

heres the right way to dread

dont comb

let it dread

its that simple why complicate it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

im gonna move this to the new dread wax/dread kits recovery section

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Naomi Choate
@naomi-choate
13 years ago
8 posts

ya you're gunna want to get that wax out... if you still can

NenaBird
@nenabird
13 years ago
3 posts

i'm going to go take the bands out right now..but i feel like if i just leave the dreads alone my head is going to turn into and enormous frizzy mess...is that what they're supposed to look like at first...?

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

Dreadlocks are simply felted locks of hair.
Human hair is more course than most animal hair and therefore it takes longer to felt properly.
You "can" help it along the way, but human hair is somewhat brittle unfortunently so any strain on the hairs (such as with backcombing and croceting) will break hairs and ultimately weaken the locks while wax simply glues the lock together and impedes the hairs from moving and knotting which means they won't actually felt, they'll just "stick".

If you want actual "dreadlocks" you have to let the hair felt.
This will mean a considerable period of time during which it'll tangle and frizz and you'll have to put in the time and effort to separate locks you do not want growing together.

The least damaging way to help start the locks is by using the twist and rip method (you can find it described in lots of places on here and I'm pretty sure there's a few vids showing it on YouTube), but you don't "have" to do even that.

Just remember to wash your hair 2-3 times a week (it doesn't need more, you can rinse it every day, but too much soap is bad for your skin anyway and most peopleover-washtheir scalp, leading to all kinds of problems) and make sure to let it dry before you cover it with anything.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form