Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

making your own dread lock shampoo..

Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

Making your own dread-lock shampoo can be super rewarding, but is it a deep enough clean... Depending on the base that you are using, most people use a black soap base, using a glycerine base is strongly advised against because of the build up it will cause in your dreads, and it is almost impossible to get out!.. Making your own dread-lock shampoo can be a fun way to save money and be creative at the same time! Also when you make your own dread-lock products you can make multiple supplies for multiple purposes, such as a PH balancing shampoo for your locks, or a straight up cleansing shampoo, or light conditioning shampoo.. The sky's the limit!! One key trick when making your own products, that I have learned by experimenting, is you always want to seep any herbs you use, having herbs tangled up in your dreads kinda sucks, that's why you would want to infuse your oils with your chosen herbs through seeping, not just adding whole herbs to your creations.. But there are many different herbs you can use for different purposes as well! One of my favorite blends to use is a mixture of rosemary, mint, chamomile, and clove. It cleanses well, and freshens up more mature locks.. Any ideas of different bases to use and different blends of essential oils and herbs.. :)

updated by @cecelia-fae: 02/14/15 04:44:43AM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

This is slightly off topic but I just wanted to chime in that I absolutely love my herbs in my bar soaps and sugar scrubs. They really help with the scrubbing aspect, imo. :P

Aside from adding oils to my Bronners and making my acv rinse, I haven't had any experience with making shampoos. I would definitely like to see some people's posts here if there are any out there that have.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

so let me get this straight your melting down a black soap bar with..water i guess to liquifty it then adding the herbal infusions (or teas technicaly) i would think it would be better to use bronners as a base (water permitting ofcourse) and modify from there with the herbs

yang ylang candula teatree rosemary lemongrass lemon balm (if u got a plant its way too expensive as an essential oil) nettles ..hmm just mixin up concoctions in my brain

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

hey .. so Valerie you like the whole herbs in there,most people complain about it, but thats kool! :)

Soaring Eagle, i like the idea of the bronners, I do not add water to the black soap, I double boil it.. but i will try the bronners to see the difference.. nice concoction by the way! :) .. I just started growing lemon balm! i'm totally going to try your recipe in a shampoo!! thanxx :)

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Yeah, I first bought an organic lavender soap that had the lavender in it and it felt really goot to use it. Sort of like a body scrub. I would never imagine using whole herbs in my hair though since they would be so hard to wash out.

With the Dr. Bronners has a Baby Mild liquid soap as well as in bar form that would work really well as a base.

Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts

I use "Planet" brand dish soap (it doesn't have a scent so you can add whatever herbs or essential oils to it for smell) and then I add a liberal amount of whatever I want it to smell like, shake it up.. Then I add about a tea spoon of baking soda and shake it again to mix it well. I use mine like maybe once or twice a week for the deep clean that the shampoo that I use regularly can't handle.. It works for me and my boyfriend constantly has his nose buried in my dreads because he loves the way they smell. Right now I have a patchouli shampoo mix on my dread care menu. Love it. :D

Rachael Hirst
@rachael-hirst
12 years ago
10 posts

May I ask, what is the method for making this soap.I have a black soap bar but want to add some lovelliness to it, (I'm thinking a spot of rosemary with some peppermint and tea tree).

Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

Kerrington i love this <3 .. great idea!! i am totally going to try this now.. thanxx !! :)

Karrington <3 said:

I use "Planet" brand dish soap (it doesn't have a scent so you can add whatever herbs or essential oils to it for smell) and then I add a liberal amount of whatever I want it to smell like, shake it up.. Then I add about a tea spoon of baking soda and shake it again to mix it well. I use mine like maybe once or twice a week for the deep clean that the shampoo that I use regularly can't handle.. It works for me and my boyfriend constantly has his nose buried in my dreads because he loves the way they smell. Right now I have a patchouli shampoo mix on my dread care menu. Love it. :D

Cecelia Fae
@cecelia-fae
12 years ago
19 posts

Rachael all you have to do is double boil the black soap bar.. you can do this in an actual double boiler, or make your own makeshift one with an old metal coffee can, and a big pot. .. So you double boil the black soap until it is completely melted, the key trick to this is to stir vigorously until all the bubbles are out.. you have to stir a lot to get it to that thick smooth consistency you want .. Than when you are content with the consistency of your soap add your herbs and oils and give it one quick last stir.. than pour into soap molds, or you could use cheese cloth but this process is much longer and messier .. :)

Rachael Hirst said:

May I ask, what is the method for making this soap.I have a black soap bar but want to add some lovelliness to it, (I'm thinking a spot of rosemary with some peppermint and tea tree).

Rachael Hirst
@rachael-hirst
12 years ago
10 posts

Awesome, I'm going to try this later this week :):):)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form