Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

wax vs. no wax

raene folden
@raene-folden
12 years ago
11 posts

Three years ago I was 16 and had my hair back combed and perm-dreaded...they told me to not wash for two whole months! GROSS! They meant no water even. And I used wax, which was highlyrecommended. No, I didn't listen about washing not washing my hair, how could I?

Anyway...It didn't take me long to realize that the wax was garbage, withoutanyoneelsesadvice I tossed it and carried on...

I have since cut my dreads off and started again. Chemical and wax free. And its amazing how fast they are progressing in comparrison...

Enough about me, what are you wax/no wax stories??

updated by @raene-folden: 02/14/15 03:27:28AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

how fast by comparison?

and u permed and waxed and backcombed ?

all u had to do was wash and it dreads

just shows they either dont know what they are doing or purposely make it harder just to keep you coming back to pay them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
raene folden
@raene-folden
12 years ago
11 posts

The lady at the salon was super nice, and meant well. A young, down to earth chick. She was just doing what she was taught and I don't blame her for being misinformed. Yes, back combed then permed in those sections. And then wax.

And at two weeks of dreads I would say my progress compares with 3 to 5 months with the wax and perm.

However, my hair did grow to twice its length and you couldn't tell the difference. Also, I did nothing about the wax except just washing my hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

how long did they last and cant wait to see theseat 5 months

--
raene folden
@raene-folden
12 years ago
11 posts

they were lasting just fine, they were fat and strong. but only lasted 2 and a half to three years because i made the mistake of cutting them off.

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

almost 3 years ago my husband started his dread journey... and boy was it a learning experience. We ended up in a situation that he wasn't allowed to wash his hair because "Dirty hair dreads" it didn't last long because the ONE thing I required is he couldn't stink, and after two weeks oh it stunk SO bad... So we took the twists out and washed and washed and washed to get all the gel and junk out of his hair... started doing some research online and fell into DHHQ's whole bullshit deal... Fortunately I did a really good job backcombing his hair (it took me 3 solid weeks to do his shoulder length hair) and we only used wax on them once, he really didn't need it after that. And I know about the whole wax never going away, but its his hair so its his choice. Now 3 years into it his hair looks awesome...
A few weeks ago we started mine, and now that we have a child there was no way I could expect him to sit there like I had done for him for three weeks killing his hands. So I feel that experience has been a great teacher for us. I decided to do mine T&R followed by neglect and a bit of locking gel from dreadlockshampoo.com after washings to tame the frizzies. So far I've been really really happy with my hair and am totally glad that we are smarter about dreads now than we were then :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

track how much faster yours dread wax free too

has he removed wax yet from his?

Australe said:

almost 3 years ago my husband started his dread journey... and boy was it a learning experience. We ended up in a situation that he wasn't allowed to wash his hair because "Dirty hair dreads" it didn't last long because the ONE thing I required is he couldn't stink, and after two weeks oh it stunk SO bad... So we took the twists out and washed and washed and washed to get all the gel and junk out of his hair... started doing some research online and fell into DHHQ's whole bullshit deal... Fortunately I did a really good job backcombing his hair (it took me 3 solid weeks to do his shoulder length hair) and we only used wax on them once, he really didn't need it after that. And I know about the whole wax never going away, but its his hair so its his choice. Now 3 years into it his hair looks awesome...
A few weeks ago we started mine, and now that we have a child there was no way I could expect him to sit there like I had done for him for three weeks killing his hands. So I feel that experience has been a great teacher for us. I decided to do mine T&R followed by neglect and a bit of locking gel from dreadlockshampoo.com after washings to tame the frizzies. So far I've been really really happy with my hair and am totally glad that we are smarter about dreads now than we were then :)

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

for my first set, I got the same advice as you, unfortunately I listened and after the 2 months my hair literally melted off my scalp. I'm talking as soon as it hit water I didn't even touch it with my hands yet and it was falling out in clumps. For a moment I felt like I was going through chemo therapy. It was the scariest thing of my life. And I've had some bad falls and accidents. Nothing compared to this.

I had to shave what little was left of my hair and start over from scratch. At least there wasn't any permanent damage to my scalp and the new hair grew in just fine

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

My wax story is very brief. Researched it, found the DHHQ/Knottyboy stuff, had my auntie backcomb them and put wax on them, went home, went to sleep. Woke up 12 hours later feeling all the squishy hair and was reluctant to continue using wax. Found this site and read about how terrible wax is and thought, "Thank God for that, I can't be bothered using it anyway." Then took the time to get the wax out. It didn't take long for me compared to most people, it seems, but I am certain it's all out, because of how much they've progressed and dreaded in the months since then.

Emily
@emily
12 years ago
203 posts

I got my hair back combed and permed without knowing better, and I used some knottyboy gel stuff but no wax. I found this site and stopped with the products and let the dreads do their thing. They have been quite healthy ever since. I'm sooo glad they didn't perm my hair to death!

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form