Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

essential oils for dreads and scalp health

Dias
@dias
13 years ago
6 posts

Chamomile and peppermint are two others that can be used.

Chamomile has antimicrobial properties and could lighten the hair slightly.

Peppermint doesn't do much for the hair, but does give a tingly, invigorating feeling to the scalp

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that all essential oils could produce allergic reactions in certain individuals. I'm allergic to two of the oils SE mentioned.Always do a spot test on your skin first, or better yet, get a doctor to run a full allergy test.

Also, this is more debatable, but there is some evidence that it's a bad idea to use lavender oil when pregnant, or if you are a prepubescent boy. There's not enough evidence to say for sure, but the oil has been implicated in developing gynaecomastia (man boobs) in boys.

updated by @dias: 07/22/15 10:13:22AM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

interesting

Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
13 years ago
18 posts

From my reading; Lavender is considered safe during Pregnancy. But always of course, use anything with caution during pregnancy and certainly the first trimester. Chamomille and Cedarwood should be used with caution. Always use PURE THERAPEUTIC Grade OILS. This grade contains no chemicals and solvents.

Dias
@dias
13 years ago
6 posts

Lavender oil was found to be toxic to human skin cells in in vitro testing. At the same time, lavender oil doesn't seem to cause damage to skin on an actual person, so it's not really clear how toxic it might be. Bottom line is be cautious, if you have any doubts, maybe use an alternative.

Sebastian Martinez
@sebastian-martinez
13 years ago
6 posts

i recently started using bs wash n avc rinse works n feels great but now i got the itchy's, can anyone help with this??

Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
13 years ago
18 posts

Look at the information above for specifics. personally, if I leave the bs on too long it bothers my scalp a bit. A good rinse for me is 3 drops lemon, 3 drops Lavender mixed with water-this is my final rinse. I do not use acv as it relaxes and conditions my dreads too much. (mine are only 9 months and considered babies). If you have Patchouly, try a drop of this. Be warned about Patchouly-it smells until you wash your hair again! :) Only use therpeutic grade essential oils as I suggested above.

Jenna Covington
@jenna-covington
13 years ago
11 posts

What about dragon's blood?? lol, its my favorite oil! :]

Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
13 years ago
18 posts

I've never used it on my hair. I'll have to read up on it. I have heard of it being used for menstrual probs in younger women.

Sieramisu
@sieramisu
13 years ago
14 posts

Hey all,

minor question; when you say 'lightens hair' do you mean in color?

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

lightens hair in reguards to what? ACV? a particular oil? lightens in color? lightens in softness or conditions? lol

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form