Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

washing dreads everyday

Karina Arroyo
@karina-arroyo
11 years ago
6 posts

So I've been washing my hair every other day. My dreads are probably about a month old. Apparently I should wash them at least once a week???I want to go longer without washing but i can't stand it!!! MY head itches, I'm starting to get a bit of dandruff and that's because i go with every other day. I just feel like washing my head every day! what ends up happening if i do that though?

If i start expanding the days without washing how should I do it?

like, every other day one week, every 2 days another week? I want to know a pattern to follow..

Oh and i use the knotty boys shampoo but i want to switch

can i have some shampoo examples i could use??

even if theyre not specially made for dreads, just any shampoo

sorry for all the questions btw o:

updated by @karina-arroyo: 01/13/15 09:51:59PM
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

the knotty boy shampoo is probably the reason for the itching. it's extremely drying. dreadlockshampoo.com has some wonderful shampoo bars and liquid which won't leave you itching. if you prefer a store bought shampoo i would suggest going to a health food store and looking at the organic shampoo. natures gate and kiss my face are both good brands.

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

oh and in the beginning it's perfectly fine to wash every other day. when your dreads become more solid you should work yourself up to every 3 days or so. i know some people like to wash once a week but my scalp can't handle that so i wash every 2-3 days. just make sure your hair dries completely between washing.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Also, if you have soft water, Dr. Bronners is very popular. I used it for years with no problem. But if you're not 100% sure of your water hardness, don't risk it. You can google a map of hard water in your area, but some cities/towns lay on borders of water type. Then you'd have to find your local watershed and call the water department to figure it out. Not a hassle, but it may not be worth it for you.

And the baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash is very popular, too. But again, it only works in soft water.

You could buy a water softener, or a soft water showerhead. But some of them can get pricy

Karina Arroyo
@karina-arroyo
11 years ago
6 posts

Thank you :) and apparently i have hard water :(

I'll just stop using the knotty shampoo and use regular shampoo :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form