Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Maintenance Question

Tay
@tay
4 years ago
43 posts

So obviously I want to grow dreads. As of May 25th 2012, I've had my hair in two strand twists and this is how they looked:

Now about a week after I got my twists, they look like this: all frizzy and stuff, which I don't have a problem with.

Now of course they look all fresh and stuff a few days after I get them, so my question is am I supposed to do anything to the new growth as my hair starts to grow and get frizzy, or do I just let my hair grow and wait for it to loc?

Also, I washed my hair with shampoowith the twists in for the first timefew adays ago and it felt kinda weird I guess because im not used to washing my hair with the twists. So my question for this isam I supposed to focus more on my scalp, or the actual twists when shampooing? And I use coconut oil and olive oil for my hair, but when I apply it, it frizzes up a lot, so should I stop using the coconut oil and only use the olive oil spray when trying to moisturize my hair?

updated by @tay: 02/14/15 02:16:19AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,404 posts

yes the new growth should be left alone to dread yes cut way back on the oils ..only use what u really need to moiturize when too dry
yes only wash the scalp what shampoo do =u use try the www.dreadlockshampoo.com bars and u should be able to get away with not using any mosturizers at all at least most washes u stil might on ocasion
aloe or jojoba is way better then olive or coconut
they will get frizzty fuzzy lumpty and crazy its all part of dreading
do not go back for retwists and i hope no wax or anything was used

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

What Eagle said. Coconut oil conditions your locks and loosens them. Jojoba oil is much better. It is also better for scalp health.

It's perfectly natural for them to get frizzy. Everyone's do. It's part of the process. Just stick with it. Those frizzies will get sucked back in in no time.

Tay
@tay
4 years ago
43 posts

This may be a dumb question but im not too sure. Is it the root or the tips of my twists that will loc. And how will I know when it is locced?

Once a lot of new growth grows inand my hair is locced, do I palm roll it or what?

I'm usinga neutrogena shampoo which is residue free. I won't go back as too much twisting I know is bad for my hair/scalp, and no wax was used, just shea butter.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,404 posts

nutragena technicaly isnt residue free its a residue remover but leaves a lil rwsidue itself its not ast all meant for general use only used to strip residues from heavy condirtioners and should be used monthly at most..and it stinks

the dreads tend to tighten most in the middle 1st with loosemess at the roots and tips and them tighten uop more towards the roots

theres no need to ever palm roll as new growth forms it will dead itself and thbe only thing u should do besidea washing isseperating so they dont grow togeyjer

just pull them apart when wet

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Tay
@tay
4 years ago
43 posts

Oh okay, I didn't know that.

Will the new growth wrap around the twists as they grow and I continue to seperate them?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,404 posts

most yes some will form new dreads

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Tay
@tay
4 years ago
43 posts

Oh okay thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to whats coming in the future.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

Thats the whole point of not tightening your roots. That loose hair, down there, is needed to tangle with new growth or form into new locks. When people tighten their roots, the new hair has nothing to tangle with and ends up thinning the root sna the lock at the root and weakens it as a result

Tay
@tay
4 years ago
43 posts

I didn't know that. I've decided to grow dreads not too long ago and didn't know anything about the process of getting them. I thought all you had to do with the new growth was palm roll it with the twist, but now I know that is not the case.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus